How and when did you tell your kids?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Mrs_Crystal_K's Avatar Super Mommy
Hey ladies,

How and when did you tell your kids that they have a new brother or sister on the way?

My step-daughter is 10 and she knows we've been working on a sibling for her. She is hoping for a sister because she has 4 step-brothers at her mom's house.

I'm only 5 weeks, but my DH is anxious to tell her and I also know we won't be able to avoid making any references to me being pregnant while she's at our house (we do every-other-week), and we don't want her to think we are hiding anything from her. I want her to be very involed in this pregnancy so she has a close bond with her baby brother or sister.

I was thinking of maybe buying her some flowers and a card that says "Congratulations" with "You're going to be a big sister!" inside.

Diagnosed with Stage II Hodgkin's Lymphoma on 3/23/12 at 13w1d pregnant.
January 20th, 2012, 11:56 AM
That's a very cute way to tell her. Sounds like she will be thrilled. My kids are 9 & 7, but because of my loss history, we won't tell until well into the second trimester. They are going to be excited though -- if we get that far.
January 20th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
I am planning on telling my kids after my appointment on Monday if all goes well. Since they are younger I will just show them the ultrasound pic, and explain it to them.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

January 20th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Moldovandish's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not telling yet due to loss history. DD will be incredibly excited and I can't wait to tell her though! She's coming to the 6 week u/s - hope she doesn't figure it out then:-)

Baby Caleb - born on Sept. 15, 11.31 pm, 8 lb. 15 oz.
January 20th, 2012, 01:07 PM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
We are NOT telling our kids until about 20 when we find out the sex.

January 20th, 2012, 01:10 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
not telling here till we know it is a sure thing.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

January 20th, 2012, 01:19 PM
lovemyleah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter is almost four...I will probably wait until we find out the gender, just because at this age, I'm afraid she will ask me every single day if we had the baby yet.

January 20th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Probably soon. My kids are rambunctious and like to jump on me, and that is going to have to end soon.

January 20th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well since my MIL told my oldest and she isn't the best secret keeper, my DH told the kids last weekend. Way earlier than we wanted to.

January 20th, 2012, 03:04 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We will tell them just before we announce the news to the grandparents. We will definately want to see a heartbeat on the ultrasound before we really announce it to anyone. The kids are going to be thrilled. I guess I should come up with a cute way to tell them

January 21st, 2012, 06:01 AM
beginswithb's Avatar Veteran
We told our DD a few days ago. We were going to surprise her with a Big Sister shirt but my DH wanted to tell her then. lol We're still making a shirt for her, though!

January 21st, 2012, 07:03 AM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will probably wait at least until it starts to show. i have had miscarriages before and i dont want to disappoint or upset them if this one doesnt work out.

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

January 21st, 2012, 09:54 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I told my kids right away, but they're only 2.5 and 1. My son (2.5) is super excited. But when I ask him if he wants a brother or sister, he always answers "Mama, I want two babies."

Last night..it was so cute. I was lying in his bunk bed and he was talking to the "baby in mommy's tummy", and he was saying "mama, I wanna play trains with baby. baby come out and play." So I told him baby has to grow really big before he can come out and play. Then he asks if he can kiss the baby, so he kisses my tummy, and says "baby is real big, can baby play now?" awwwww.

January 21st, 2012, 10:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
we told DD but she's only 2 and doesn't understand. She did tell DH's dad and stepmom "I'm a big sister" and it was SO cute (that's how we wanted to tell them).

January 21st, 2012, 04:59 PM
twoboys's Avatar photography co-host!!
Jack is 8, I will likely be telling him soon!
January 21st, 2012, 05:49 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We told him, but he's only almost 4 months and just smiles every time he sees my face no matter what I say to him. He's more into the sucking on his fists stages right now than big brotherhood, lol

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
January 21st, 2012, 06:00 PM
hotjai21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to hotjai21
We told our girls today. I told our oldest I had a secret and whispered it in her ear. She's almost 4. She started sqeeling and went and told our other daughter, shes 2.5. The younger one didn't care realy lol. She's kinda excited but I know it will be better when I have a belly and something to relate the idea too. I wanted to wait until our 1st us and put a pic in a card and give it to them. But I couldn't wait any longer.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search