Honey...and other questionable foods

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SandyBeachSomewhere

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2012, 09:51 AM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is honey a food you need to stay away from during pregnancy? I use it in my tea, and didn't know if I should X it. I know there are other things like hot dogs and lunch meat that I should stay away from too, but I didnt when I was prego with X....I know bad bad bad.

Are there any foods that you should stay away from but you just can't help yourself?

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

January 23rd, 2012, 10:14 AM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Honey is fine and actually much better for you than sugar during pregnancy. It should not be given to babies but because your body digests it and the baby just gets nutrients from the placenta is is perfectly safe in pregnancy.

[
January 23rd, 2012, 10:23 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Why are we supposed to stay away from hotdogs? Are they ok if they are boiled first (which is how we usually cook them). We were planning on having those for dinner tonight.

As for foods I've given up, they include dippy eggs (which I'm REALLY sad about!) and lunchmeat/hoagies. I just don't want to take the chance of something going bad..

January 23rd, 2012, 10:50 AM
Super Mommy
Hot dogs are fine if you cook them first, as is lunch meat.

I usually have a hard time avoiding cookie dough and sushi. I admit I don't really "avoid" them at all, lol.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
January 23rd, 2012, 10:54 AM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OMG i forgot no more sushi....dammit!

OHHH @ the honey, that is what it was....none for little ones!

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

January 23rd, 2012, 11:00 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Like was already said, as long as hotdogs are cooked (well they come "cooked", but fully heated through) they are fine to eat. Lunchmeat is ok, as well, as long as it's heated to steaming! A few seconds in the microwave usually does the trick, or if it's a cold deli-style sandwich, I pop the entire sandwich in the microwave for 1.5-2 minutes, until everything's hot and the meat's steaming!!!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

January 23rd, 2012, 11:01 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyBeachSomewhere View Post
Hot dogs are fine if you cook them first,
I just gotta know - who on earth doesn't cook a hotdog! all I could think about after reading this was someone eating a raw hotdog - then I had to hold down my lunch!

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

January 23rd, 2012, 11:03 AM
Super Mommy
Hot dogs are already cooked when you buy them, so if you eat them cold they are still technically cooked. It's just better/best to boil them or grill them when you're pregnant. My kids prefer their hot dogs cold, lol.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
January 23rd, 2012, 11:07 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ah - the thumans hotdogs we usually buy aren't precooked, so I wouldn't know that about ballparks lol

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

January 23rd, 2012, 12:13 PM
Starstrydergrrl's Avatar Super Mommy
I am going to miss sushi the most...hubby already said that most husbands bring flowers to the hospital but he will bring sushi lol.

Tuna, I like my tuna but since we can't control 100% quality wise I will be avoiding.

January 23rd, 2012, 12:30 PM
Moldovandish's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have honey too. I only like the vegetarian sushi anyway, so I think I'm okay to keep eating that:-)
Lunch meats are a no-no, non-pasteurized cheeses(I like feta in my salad and I ask if it's pasteurized before eating it LOL) and some fish types - I think tuna?

Baby Caleb - born on Sept. 15, 11.31 pm, 8 lb. 15 oz.
January 23rd, 2012, 02:27 PM
Super Mommy
Mercury Levels in Fish : American Pregnancy Association

Here's a list of which fish we can and can't eat. None of it is banned totally, since the problem with mercury is a build-up of it in our systems, not just one dose at a time. So it's eating it regularly that causes issues.

A couple of tuna varieties are supposed to be avoided completely, but most of them are fine to eat about three times a month.
InnocentDevil likes this.

January 23rd, 2012, 02:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I enjoy herbal tea every morning and I found out some are not so good for a pregnant woman. I noticed that some of my teabags have warnings on them, so I've put those in the back of the cabinet. Mint and chamomile seem to be the ones that are ok.

January 23rd, 2012, 03:24 PM
Kaema's Avatar Kris
Send a message via AIM to Kaema Send a message via MSN to Kaema
My favorite sushi is anything with eel. I can't get enough of it. Seeing as eel is typically cooked in sushi, I'm ok as long as I don't go overboard.

Thank you GraysMama for my gorgeous siggy!
January 28th, 2012, 01:43 AM
InnocentDevil's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami N View Post
I just gotta know - who on earth doesn't cook a hotdog! all I could think about after reading this was someone eating a raw hotdog - then I had to hold down my lunch!
LOL it's basically just rolled up bologna.

You can actually have lunch meats as long as you re-heat them.... I'm not sure what the exact temperature is though.

Last edited by InnocentDevil; January 28th, 2012 at 01:46 AM.
January 28th, 2012, 02:38 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have much of a problem with the foods I need to avoid, my problem is a drink.

I love Dr.Pepper and I cannot find caffeine free Dr.Pepper anywhere!
January 28th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Sprinkle 2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, I'm just gonna say it...

I miss wine the most!!!!

I know that during the summer I will miss eating cold lunchmeat sandwiches. Who wants a hot sandwich when its 100 degrees!?

Any soft cheeses that aren't pastuerized are a no-no. Any large fish containing high mercury levels, and raw fish are a no. Not too complicated, but still a pain to try and follow!

January 28th, 2012, 07:59 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I miss my wine too!! DH had a beer last night and I was super jealous that I couldn't wind down my night with a glass of wine!

Oh and I am a sucker for Tuna salad sandwiches from Jimmy Johns, and since I have no idea where they get their tuna from etc, I haven't ordered one lately I'm the "rather safe than sorry" person so I usually just cut out whatever I need to.

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

January 28th, 2012, 10:04 AM
PiXeYstyx's Avatar Veteran
I never listened to the no lunch meat rule when I was PG with DD and I was fine and so is she. I Didn't really avoid anything but the caffeine and raw fish sushi, there are many fully cooked kinds I couldn't get enough of.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search