Nuchal translucency (NT) screening?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2012, 05:25 PM
Kris2you's Avatar Live-Laugh-Love
Send a message via MSN to Kris2you Send a message via Yahoo to Kris2you
Who is having this scan done? I think it's done at 12 weeks. Has anyone had it done before?
January 23rd, 2012, 05:27 PM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it has to be between the 11th week...and I did with Xavier.

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

January 23rd, 2012, 05:33 PM
Kris2you's Avatar Live-Laugh-Love
Send a message via MSN to Kris2you Send a message via Yahoo to Kris2you
Ok so just read more:

"The NT scan must be done when you're between 11 and 14 weeks pregnant. (The last day you can have it done is the day you turn 13 weeks and 6 days pregnant."

I don't even recall being asked with my other two or if I was asked, I declined it. They said you can also learn the gender during it.
January 23rd, 2012, 05:50 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I declined with the boys, but I'm 4 years older than I was with my last pregnancy, I'm not sure it is more pertinent this time around. The results won't matter to us, we won't end a pregnancy - period. So maybe it isn't all that important.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

January 23rd, 2012, 05:59 PM
Super Mommy
I know a lot of women get the test just so they have another chance to see the baby, or a chance to find out the gender early, ha.

I've always declined it, personally.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
January 23rd, 2012, 06:03 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I've had it done with my youngest two, mainly to see the baby again. But, the results wouldn't have mattered for us, either. I just also like to be prepared and have time to learn and gather info, so that was also why I did it. I always had it done at my 12 week appt. They do the u/s and measure the nuchal fold, and also take blood at the same appt. The two have to be done together to know if the measurement is "normal" or not.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

January 23rd, 2012, 06:05 PM
JennaBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've had them before and will be having it again. I choose to go at 13 weeks to get a better physical work up of the baby. Because I am high risk it is a level 2 comprehensive ultrasound. They simply measure the space behind the baby's neck for the NT part and that measurement complied with blood work will determine your baby's RISK factor for a genetic disorder, if your baby is at higher risk you can then choose a more invasive test like an amnio or CVS for genetic determination. Because of my history I always take every opportunity to learn more about the baby each time I can. In my honest opinion there is never TOO much to know about your baby. Nothing would "change" my outcome of the pregnancy (some choose to terminate from a severe defect or abnormality) but the more information I have to be able to provide the best pregnancy, birth, and life for my baby I have the better!

, ,,,,,,
January 23rd, 2012, 06:58 PM
twoboys's Avatar photography co-host!!
I had it done with William but not Jack or Charlie.. I am not sure if I will get it done this time..
January 23rd, 2012, 07:04 PM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wasn't even offered last time because I have no risk factors, so I'm guessing I won't have it this time either.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

January 23rd, 2012, 07:51 PM
MrsB1227's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had it done with my son and will have it done this time around as well. The baby looks so cute at that point and it's mainly just a chance for me to see baby again and get a cute u/s pic.
January 23rd, 2012, 07:55 PM
Veteran
I did it with my first when we had no risk factors -- I hadn't considered not taking the various tests, actually. Our doctor didn't present them as a choice but even if he had, we'd want to be informed vs. unprepared.

Thank you Tasha Mae for my fantastic siggy!

We're due Jan 31st!!
January 23rd, 2012, 08:02 PM
GeekLover11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are having it done. My doctor told me she will schedule it at my February 8th appointment. We want to be fully prepared for whatever comes our way and really want another peek at our bub

Ashley
Ashley
January 23rd, 2012, 08:37 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I was never offered it with my first two. They'd have probably done it had I asked, but I don't think it's standard practice around here yet. Looking through my midwives papers, it is something they routinely offer. I didn't switch to her til after 20weeks last time. Nevertheless, I will be declining it as well as any other genetic screenings I might be offered. It wouldn't make any difference in the outcome of this pregnancy.

January 23rd, 2012, 09:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had it done last time and will again...I agree about the baby looking cute! I actually think this is the cutest ultrasound pic!
January 23rd, 2012, 09:26 PM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It has not been offered to me for any of my children.
January 23rd, 2012, 09:32 PM
Parker'sMommy's Avatar Veteran
I had it done last pregnancy because I was so anxious to see the baby on U/S. We would not have ended the pregnancy...we just wanted to be informed and gather resources if need be to provide for our baby. The ultrasound at this age is amazing...baby is so active and cute!

We will do it again this pregnancy...for the same reasons. We would never terminate though...

*************Thank you to Claire1979 for my awesome siggy!!**************

January 23rd, 2012, 09:43 PM
PiXeYstyx's Avatar Veteran
I did with DD because I would have only gotten to see her with my 20 week scan. I also figured why not do it in case something was wrong. I'll be doing it this time around too.

January 24th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Moldovandish's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With DD we had a 11 week U/S, so I'm assuming this was tne NT one. I want as many U/S opportunities with this baby as possible just to ensure that everything is going well.

Baby Caleb - born on Sept. 15, 11.31 pm, 8 lb. 15 oz.
January 24th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I did it with DD and I will do it again. I just like knowing what I am in for

Thank you AlexKatieAiden Mommy For my beautiful siggie!

January 24th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
I will be doing it at my next appointment. I would rather be prepared for any issues than not know about them. We wouldn't terminate either.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search