Planning on using birth control pills? Read on...

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By oicyur
  • 1 Post By RunningMommyTo5

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2012, 10:52 PM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just heard about this and thought it was important enough to drop in and spread the word! Please read the following article. This isn't just a rumor, it's been found to be factually true by the WHO and the National Institute of Cancer!

If you're using birth control pills (or thinking about using them), better rethink your options!!!

Here's the link to the article: WHO Declares Oral Contraceptives Highly Carcinogenic | Dr. Kathleen T. Ruddy's Breast Cancer Blog

Here are some quotes from the article:

"In 2003 the National Cancer Institute (NCI) published a paper in which they stated that there was "a significantly increased risk of breast cancer" in women who used oral contraceptives."

"Women who use oral contraceptives before their first full-term delivery increase their risk of breast cancer by 44%."

"In part, the dramatic rise in the incidence of breast cancer in developed countries over the past forty years may be related to the widespread use of oral contraceptives following their introduction in the 1960’s."

I wasn't a fan of birth control pills to begin with, but this just sealed the deal. No way they should be used by anyone with these kinds of findings!

Mom to Keira (6), Garrett (5), Libby (3), and William (8-29-12)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

February 3rd, 2012, 04:52 AM
pauriemmo's Avatar Veteran
I took BCP for about a month years ago. I didn't like the way they made me feel, so I stopped.
February 3rd, 2012, 05:16 AM
InnocentDevil's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't take BC pills. I used to, but 2 1/2 years ago while on them I kept having blackouts and fainting spells. My doctor ran all kinds of tests including an MRI, CT scan and blood work to check for diabetes. All of those tests came back normal.

As it turned out, it was my BC pill that was causing the blackouts.

I wouldn't have known that if not for my grandmother telling me that my aunt (who had passed away) had gotten blood clots because of her BC. As a result of the blood clots, she had fainting spells. One day she passed out in the shower and drowned. She was 27 years old... I was 27 (and looked just like her) when I figured out my issue was the pills. Talk about scary!! Within 3 weeks of stopping the pill, the blackouts stopped. They tried to put me on a lower dose of BC, but I wanted no part of it and still don't. It's just too scary for me.

February 3rd, 2012, 07:50 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I don't take them. Never have. I don't trust that they're safe. It's just not natural.

February 3rd, 2012, 07:53 AM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used to take them, but since I had blood clots I am not aloud anymore. I try to warn people to not take them because not only does it increase chances for cancer, but also in blood clots. I do not think they are good for any women to take, and in my opinion anyone can figure out their body, and I am totally for natural family planning.

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

February 3rd, 2012, 08:01 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I used to take them a long time ago, but I didn't like the way they made me feel or the effects it had on my body. I am a HUGE fan of Natural Family PLanning methods (charting your BBT, checking and charting CM/CP, etc). I highly recommend that any woman who has not already read Taking CHarge of Your Fertility. It's such an eye-opening book about your body and how it works, and that there are other options to prevent besides hormonal BCPs!
3Sapphires likes this.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

February 3rd, 2012, 08:03 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used to take them as well, and then I had the Mirena, and then tried to go back on BC and had alllll kinds of issues with them so I stopped and swore to never take them again! It feels so great to have my body back after I went off of them and we used a more natural approach!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

February 3rd, 2012, 08:29 AM
PiXeYstyx's Avatar Veteran
I'm glad BCP didn't agree with me. I got sick on them when I took them. We switched to condoms/natural family planning method.

February 3rd, 2012, 09:36 AM
oicyur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just noticed the link didn't work! Sorry! Here it is: WHO Declares Oral Contraceptives Highly Carcinogenic | Dr. Kathleen T. Ruddy's Breast Cancer Blog

I'm glad you guys aren't taking them. I posted this elsewhere and someone replied to me, "Everything gives you cancer" as if it wasn't that big of a deal. In the article it says the birth control pills have the same dangerous amount of carcinogens as lead!! That is a big deal! I used to be passive when I heard people took the pill because even though I didn't like it I wasn't going to tell them not to, but now knowing this I feel like I should warn everyone I find out takes them! :\

Mom to Keira (6), Garrett (5), Libby (3), and William (8-29-12)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
- Thomas Jefferson

February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 AM
Super Mommy
I don't think the women on this board will be taking them any time soon. =) At least not before our "first full term birth."
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
February 3rd, 2012, 10:32 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
I used them once when I was 17 or so, and they caused severe problems for me. I vowed I would never take birth control again, and I haven't. Also, from working in the legal field (medical malpractice), I actually worked on class action lawsuits involving birth control pills and Norplant.

February 3rd, 2012, 12:40 PM
pauriemmo's Avatar Veteran
When I took the BC, they were kind of pushed on me since I was a single mom. Right after I had my son, they gave them to me. It was like they were saying "No more kids for you". I just hated the way they made me feel. I'm glad that I threw them away.

On the other hand, my sister has a blood disorder and would get her period every other week. She was put on the pill when she was about 15 in order to regulate her period. It worked for her at the time, but she is now 34 and has been unable to conceive. I can't help but wonder if it was because she was on the pill for so many years.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search