Carseats

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AmyT

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Kaema's Avatar Kris
Send a message via AIM to Kaema Send a message via MSN to Kaema
Will you be buying a new seat for this baby? Or will you be reusing a seat from a previous child regardless of gender or color pattern ((provided the seat is not expired or been in an accident, etc)). What's your favorite seat right now or the one you have your eye on?

Thank you GraysMama for my gorgeous siggy!
February 6th, 2012, 10:43 AM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our infant seat is (or will be) expired soon, so we will be needing to purchase 2 new infant seats! No clue which one yet, I just know I'll stick with Graco so I can still use the extra bases I had from my old car seats!
momma_d likes this.

February 6th, 2012, 10:55 AM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We will be using the Graco snugride we got with our first DS. It has at least another year before it expires. It is green with animals so it works for either gender (we've already used it for both

[
February 6th, 2012, 11:10 AM
lovemyleah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We will have to purchase a new car seat, my old infant seat went with the trash this morning as it was expired.

We will probably go Graco or Chicco, whichever I end up preferring, as I'm usually the one in our relationship that does the car seat hunting.

February 6th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Kaema's Avatar Kris
Send a message via AIM to Kaema Send a message via MSN to Kaema
We have an Evenflo Aura infant seat that we used with DS that isn't expired so out of need to save money, we will be reusing it. The seat is brown and blue, so more boyish, but we'll still use it even if we have a girl. If we do end up getting a new carseat for any reason then I will probably get the MyRide 65. That is what DS moved up into and is in now and I LOVE it. And I love that it can go from newborn to big kid!

Thank you GraysMama for my gorgeous siggy!
February 6th, 2012, 11:29 AM
2Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
We already bought a safetu first infant carrier as there was an great deal on for the travel system its an olive green and black so gender neutral.
February 6th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Super Mommy
I'm kind of a car seat Nazi, so pardon me if I step on toes or anything on this subject. It's just that 90% (give or take) of car seats are misused, so I tend to pop up random information for people "just in case."

That said, I really want a Combi Shuttle 33 for this baby, but I'm not sure I'll get it. If I don't, we'll go with the Safety 1st OnBoard 35, since it's the cheapest worthwhile infant seat on the market. I'd be fine going straight to a convertible, too, if husband decides to give up his bucket love.

For those unsure what to buy, I can tell you the most commonly recommended seats.

Graco Snugride 30 and 35 (avoid the 22, since it often has a poor fit for newborns)
Chicco Keyfit 30
Safety 1st OnBoard 35

Avoid Evenflo if you can, because the rules of use can make it difficult to fit in a car, and avoid anything that's rear adjust, because it's just a pain in the butt, and difficult to use correctly 100% of the time. All seats are safe, assuming proper fit and proper use, and I'm not saying the Evenflo is unsafe - it's just hard to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyT View Post
Our infant seat is (or will be) expired soon, so we will be needing to purchase 2 new infant seats! No clue which one yet, I just know I'll stick with Graco so I can still use the extra bases I had from my old car seats!
Keep in mind that each base only properly fits it's respective model. You can't use the base from a 22 with a 30, or vise versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaema View Post
We have an Evenflo Aura infant seat that we used with DS that isn't expired so out of need to save money, we will be reusing it. The seat is brown and blue, so more boyish, but we'll still use it even if we have a girl. If we do end up getting a new carseat for any reason then I will probably get the MyRide 65. That is what DS moved up into and is in now and I LOVE it. And I love that it can go from newborn to big kid!
The handle on an Evenflo seat needs to be DOWN while the car is in motion, and it also needs 1.5in of clearance all the way around that handle. I'm only mentioning it because it's an important rule that often seems overlooked because the seat doesn't fit in the car with the handle down. But it's unsafe for the handle to be left up.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
February 6th, 2012, 11:41 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we need a new one, I got rid of the one I used for the boys since it expired.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

February 6th, 2012, 12:50 PM
pauriemmo's Avatar Veteran
We will definitely be buying new since my son will be almost 7 when the baby gets here. And since I have more money than I did the first time around, I'm going all out with this baby even though I'm not sure which travel system we will be getting.
February 6th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Shantastic27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have to buy a new one. THe one we used for my daughter was gender neutral and would have worked, however, we were rear ended so we had to stop using it. I'm going to take it in to BRU to exchange for the 25% offer though . And I think I'll get another Graco. It was a newer model so I'm thinking we could probably use the extra base (that wasn't in the rear ended car) for the new one and not have to buy one, but I guess Ill have to check that out to make sure!

February 6th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We are re-using our Snugride 22 from our daughter (didn't realize it was bad for newborns...but it fit her so I'm hoping it fits the next one as well)....we got a gender neutral one, its black and red.
February 6th, 2012, 05:30 PM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I bought a new one last week. We gave our seat from DS to a friend, so I took advantage of the trade in program with BRU last week and bought the Chicco Keyfit 30 in cubes pattern...but now that I have it, I want the Rattania.

SandyBeach...our first seat was a Baby Trend, and it also said the handle had to be in the down position when in the car- made it really hard to fit. Does the Chicco need to be down? What do you know about the Rattania?

February 6th, 2012, 06:45 PM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're reusing our Graco Snugride 32 I bought with our son only 2 years ago. We will be buying a new convertible though when this baby grows out of the infant seat since DS will probably still be in his.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

February 6th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Super Mommy
We will have to get a new one. I saved NOTHING from my older kiddos. It's so weird starting over but it sure is going to be fun.
February 7th, 2012, 08:43 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are buying all new gear for this baby, we moved a lot since we had DD so we weren't able to save anything but clothes and a few small things that fit in the closet! I have looked though and I either want a Graco travel system or a Chicco one. I haven't nailed anything down yet and probably won't until after 20 weeks.

With DD we had the Evenflo Aura as well and didn't really have any complaints, but the stroller didn't last very long and started falling apart pretty quickly, so I want something more durable this time around.

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

February 7th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
we're reusing the graco one because it's gender neutral and only 2 years old.

February 7th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyBeachSomewhere View Post
For those unsure what to buy, I can tell you the most commonly recommended seats.

Graco Snugride 30 and 35 (avoid the 22, since it often has a poor fit for newborns)
Chicco Keyfit 30
Safety 1st OnBoard 35

We bought the Safety 1st OnBoard Air 35. My husband did a lot of research on the car seats. The OnBoard Air is listed as one of the safest. Plus, the padding is supposed to be cooler for the baby. I'm due in July and we live in Arizona, so that was a big bonus for us. It's was really easy to install in the car.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search