Lightheaded...

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Super Mommy
I know it's really normal and common to feel lightheaded right after standing up, especially when you're pregnant. But that's not my problem. I mean, yes, I get that too, but the MAIN issue is that if I've been standing for all of 5 minutes, especially if I've been exerting myself in any way (and by exerting I mean doing more than breathing or having a conversation), I start to feel really lightheaded, like I'm gonna pass out. Sitting down relieves the feeling, but eventually I have to stand back up, and it starts all over again.

Whenever they take my blood pressure, I've always been right around 120/80, so I don't think it's low BP. Then again, they've never taken my pressure while I'm standing up. I quit my job with my first pregnancy over this same issue, but I don't remember it in my other two, so it either didn't exist or was very mild. More proof I'm having a boy, I guess.

My next OB appointment is the 20th, and I do intend to discuss this with her. I can't lift any of my children (25, 35, and 65 pounds, respectively) without staggering and having to take deep breaths. It makes life very inconvenient.

Anyone else getting this?
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
February 10th, 2012, 09:45 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When it happens do you drink or eat something sugary? When that happens to me I usually need some sugar in my blood!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

February 10th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Frugile Wife
Send a message via Yahoo to jennylynnf
being pregnant can mess with your blood sugar even if you never had problems before. try to drink some oj or have some natural sugar and see if it helps next time it happens, and talk to your doc about it. Blood sugar can go up n down pretty quick. You can buy a disposable meter with strips for about 20. and test it when you feel like this next time and see what it says bc alot of time its hard for the doc to diagnose and they make you do it at home anyway to get a diagnosis.
February 10th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Super Mommy
It's pretty much a constant thing. It's EVERY time I stand up for any period of time, no matter if or what I just ate. I will try keeping orange juice around and see if it helps. It's not something I've tried since I'm not a big juice fan.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
February 10th, 2012, 12:18 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I have that problem, too, but I know it's because of my B/P. I have a low B/P normally, and it can drop a little too low sometimes in pregnancy for me. Hopefully your dr will have some advice for you, but the only thing my MW said is to move from laying to sitting and from sitting to standing very slowly, and if you start to feel lightheaded while standing, then sit down until it passes. She said it's a condition that why don't really like to medicate during pregnancy and it's nothing dangerous (outside of actually passing out), so she wants me to try to manage it like that and not let myself pass out.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

February 10th, 2012, 11:27 PM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you dehydrated at all? Make sure you're drinking a lot of water. I think a lot of people don't know that blood pressure is different in every part of your body and it's actually lower higher up b/c of gravity working against your heart to pump the blood up there- the numbers you get at the drs office are most accurate b/c they're usually taken at the level closest to your heart...and 120/80 is the golden standard of "normal" healthy bp. I would think being light headed could be a very common pregnancy symptom just because of the increased blood volume and already lowered blood pressure that typically comes with pregnancy. I experience it too from time to time, but not all the time. Hydration is key, but of course, talk to your provider to see if you can figure out a solution! Hope you get feeling better!

February 11th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Super Mommy
I drink about a gallon of water a day, if not more. I think I'm well hydrated.

I got some orange juice, and when I drink that I actually feel a lot better. I just have to drink half a glass every few hours. =/ Inconvenient, but it works. My appointment is in just over a week. I'll just have to keep myself juiced up until then. Though I suppose I could call and get an earlier appointment.. though likely they will just send me for blood work.

February 11th, 2012, 11:52 PM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, blood work wouldn't be a bad thing if you're not feeling well.

February 12th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
when I had gestational diabetes last time, my dietician told me that drinking milk is better when you are having a hypoglycemic episode (low blood sugars) than orange juice because OJ spikes it while milk helps bring it up naturally.

Just a thought. Maybe you could drink a bit of OJ if you are having a dizzy episode but drink a bit of milk every few hours to keep you leveled out?

also, if you are having these issues, you should consider doing a one hour glucose test at the lab to see if you are having issues early on from GD.

February 12th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Super Mommy
It's hard for me to go for blood work because arranging a sitter for an indefinite period of time is rough, and the lab that takes my insurance doesn't do appointments. The glucose test is easy, because I just drink it at home and go in ten minutes before they HAVE to draw my blood. I still haven't done my generic pre-natal work-up, so they'd probably just add to that. I'll call on Monday. And I will try milk instead of orange juice, thanks!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if I have GD (not that I want it). I've got a lot of risk factors going on, and my last two pregnancies I failed my one hour.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search