Nervous!!

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By momma_d
  • 1 Post By Daffodil
  • 1 Post By JulieMc
  • 1 Post By Daffodil

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Super Mommy
I becoming to get really nervous about this. Not in a sense that I don't want this baby, but about what I'm going to need! I don't know what to buy and when, or anything!

Can any other mommies help me out on advice on what I'll need to buy for the newborn? I know a lot is personal preference, but did you prefer a crib, bassinet, or co-sleeper? What about any other items? I don't have the money to be splurging on anything expensive, do you know of any cheaper ways to get the nice things that are needed?

February 11th, 2012, 11:11 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Try not to stress about it! Just worry about the essentials!

If you are on a budget (which many of us are!) I would say skip the bassinet or co-sleeper and just get a crib. With DD we got a gorgeous white crib AND changing table for $50 on craigslist! We had to repaint the changing table and I had to make sure to research the serial number on the crib for recalls, but luckily everything checked out. It was a steal.

You will need lots of onesies (which go on clearance at Target pretty often). In my experience, some of the cheaper ones wash up funny. I liked the Gerber or Carter's brand the best. Pay attention to when Carter's or their outlet stores have big sales and you can get stuff for really cheap!

In the newborn phase, the nightgowns are really nice because you don't have to undress them to change diapers.

Also, are you going to be breastfeeding? Because if you haven't decided yet, you might want to really consider this. Not only is it the best option for baby, but it will save you SO much money. I pumped and BF and we used playtex bottles with the large nipples and didn't have any problems transitioning between boob/bottles.

Other things we had that we loved were:
Boppy pillow
swaddle blankets
a Boppy Bouncer seat

I'm sure there are a ton of things I'm leaving out, but thats why we have lots of people to fill in here!
CaliMommy likes this.

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

February 11th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think Danielle has some really good advice, but I would recommend buying a new crib... just because you don't know the condition of the crib if you buy a used one, you know? You can get an inexpensive one from Ikea.

I think carseats and cribs should be new, everything else can be used!
February 11th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Super Mommy
I'm scared to breastfeed, but I'm really starting to consider it.

February 11th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Breastfeeding isn't scary at all.

I agree that a car seat should be new, unless you previously owned it for one of your children (which obviously you haven't ).
I don't see anything wrong with used cribs, even drop side ones can be altered by a semi handy person without having to order the free kit for them.

You can save money by doing cloth diapers as well. There is a company that makes them (though they are from china so it depends on your personal beliefs if you want to purchase from them or not) that have pretty good prices on diapers. Much cheaper than you might think.

So I guess a simple list that you would need is :
Your boobies
A place for baby to sleep
a car seat
diapers & wipes
large receiving blankets to bundle baby with
and I prefer sleepers for the first few months, actually close to a year

February 11th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
CPSC Warns Consumers That Used Cribs Can Be Deadly
February 11th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Super Mommy
This isn't a thread to be mean or rude, please respect everyone's different opinions on things. This is important for me, and I'll take all advice as long as it isn't meant to start a debate!

Thank you all for your advice so far!

February 11th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh don't worry!! I just wanted to post that because I personally don't think its worth it to risk, you know? But I wouldn't say somemone made a mistake getting a used crib, that's their own personal decision. But seriously, Ikea has some as low as $80 and they are highly rated. I got a book called Baby Bargains when I was pregnant with my daughter, it has really good ideas on how to save money and what you should buy and when.
CaliMommy likes this.
February 11th, 2012, 01:04 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have also used almost all used for our baby stuff. I buy carseats used but bassinet/cribs/jumperoo etc are all used. You can find great deals on craigslist and since we aren't due until the end of summer garage sales are also great ways to get cheap deals on gently used items. I have found so amazing deals on baby stuff (pack n play, super nice strollers, play mats etc) for a steal at garage sales. The crib we have now is a drop side crib that my husband secured the side on it and it very secure and safe (and was free because a friend gave it to us). I am a little leary of used crib mattresses and the only ones that I used that weren't was given to us by a good friend so we knew it had been taken care of very well.

Personally I use a bassinet for the first few months (next to my bed) and then when they outgrow that move them to the crib.

You should see if there are some local breastfeeding classes to take. It can be a little intimidating to try at first but in the long run is so much easier and cheaper than formula (and healthier for you and the baby). I have also used cloth diapers with my kids. With my oldest I only used them during the day when we were home and used disposables when we went out and overnight then gradually switched to 100% cloth. I found that even just using them part time saved us a lot of money. Also you can resell cloth diapers are you are done with them which makes them a much better investment than disposable.

Most of all remember that one of the reasons pregnancy is 9+ months long is so that you can get things ready.

[
February 11th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh a good idea for a crib that saves money in the long run is a crib that converts to a toddler bed then to a twin.

February 11th, 2012, 02:24 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
All you need are diapers, wipes, boobs, and a place for them to sleep...and if you're really on a budget, that can be in your bed with you. But if you're not comfortable with that, get a crib. I don't think they need to be new...you can buy one cheap at a baby resale shop with the bonus being that the shops are not legally allowed to sell a recalled product (which you might come across on Craigslist...). But I'd never use a used mattress...buy that new at least.

All that other baby "stuff", it's mostly unnecessary, or stuff you won't need til they are at least 6 months old..so its not a "must buy now".
GiftsfromGod likes this.

February 11th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You will need a carseat for sure, I think hospitals don't let you go until they see it...not sure what people without a car do!
CaliMommy likes this.
February 11th, 2012, 02:40 PM
YumPickles's Avatar Veteran
I pretty much with everyone.

If your interested in breast feeding, I would give it a shot. It's actually wonderful for you and the baby. If you are in the US most WIC offices will assist with breastfeeding or direct you to someone who will.

Bare minimums in my opinion, new crib/mattress and car seat, then hit up garage sales or resale shops for the rest. Also keep an eye on clearance sales at big box stores. Everytime you are in one, just cruise by the baby stuff and see what they have.

Also Listia is a fun way to get stuff for next to free. Its a lot like ebay, but you buy and sell with credits. Usually you only end up paying shipping. We've used it a bunch and it can be fun.

The only 'big' items outside of a crib and carseat that I think is a must have is a baby swing. I worked in the infant room at a daycare, and those things are amazing for cranky babies. Later on you will want a high chair and stroller, but you don't really need them for a few months.

I've started buying wipes and diapers now (well wipes until I get my first u/s) with my groceries. THat way I will have a stockpile. I plan on getting mostly size 1 and 2 because my son was only in newborns for maybe a month.

February 11th, 2012, 02:49 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Well..yea...car seat if you drive. On that note...first hospital I gave birth at required an inspection of the car seat. Second hospital didn't even ask about a car seat.

They can't require you to have one. If you want to walk home with your baby, you can. They just won't let you til they wheel you out the door.

February 11th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
LOL yeah they made my husband bring the carseat up and show how we were going to strap her in...and we didn't really know how to strap her in so it took some time. whoops, should have practiced!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search