Very scared :(

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Today I went out with a friend to a Chinese restaurant. I wanted to try something different, and I ate sauteed bitter melon with peppers and other veggies. I only ate 3 or 4 pieces (it is REALLY bitter)... Then I came home and researched the recipe because I liked it, and... TO MY DISMAY I found bitter melon can cause an early abortion or BIRTH DEFECTS and it's contraindicated during pregnancy.. I had NO IDEA!! I mean, what are the chances of that?!

Anyways, I'm trying to calm myself down since I only had a few pieces (and no seeds)... But I'm freaking out, I'll never forgive myself if I hurt my baby I'm 9w 2d.
February 11th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
oh my goodness! I've never even heard of bitter melon before. I wouldn't think a fruit would be contraindicated either.
February 11th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I found this

Quote:
There are some concerns that medicinal usages of bitter melon in animals has stimulated menstrual bleeding, so bitter melon taken as a supplement is not recommended for use by pregnant women. But as a food, bitter melon is eaten by Asian populations, suggesting that safety concerns for regular consumption of this food are minimal. Nonetheless, experts recommend that bitter melon be eaten moderately, if at all, during pregnancy. Better safe than sorry! Once you get pregnant, it may be time to stop
So I think it might be ok...its like they don't recommend it, but if its common in asian populations then probably won't have an effect, especially as little as you ate!
February 11th, 2012, 04:58 PM
YumPickles's Avatar Veteran
Are you experiencing any cramping or lower back aches? From what I can tell bitter melon is supposed to cause uterus stimulation.

I can't find much on it really, other then websites that say it is bad, but they are all very vague. I haven't found anything that gives percentages, amounts, or trimester information. I think I would call my OB's after hours line, just to see what they say.

February 11th, 2012, 04:58 PM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know you're worried. I probably would be too, but think about the amount you ingested. It's really not much. Most pages I see say "likely unsafe"- not that it is guaranteed or known for sure, and I've run across a couple pages that list it as a beneficial:

Bitter gourd (Bitter melon) nutrition facts and health benefits
Eating well: 0-8 weeks

I'd just relax, and listen to your body. If you start feeling ill, then you probably ingested too much- but at 3-4 pieces, I doubt this is the case. Call your OB if you're very concerned, and get some peace of mind.

February 11th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks so much, girls. I ate around 12:30, it's 7:15 now and I feel just fine. I don't think it's gonna cause a miscarriage, but when I read "birth defects" also, that alarmed me. I'll just try to relax and not go crazy about this.

Thanks again! I really appreciate your help
February 11th, 2012, 05:50 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I'm sure you're fine. It's probably something they don't want you eating regularly or in large quantities.

Some people take high doses of vitamin C for early abortion. But drinking a glass of OJ isn't going to have the same effect. I'm thinking it's probably something similar.

February 11th, 2012, 08:11 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like it's contraindicated more as a theoretical risk than any actual case of known miscarrige with the real food version. I think you'll be fine, but I would have been upset too in your shoes!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search