Just wondering - When do(did) you all go for your first appointment?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Date at which your provider has you come the 1st time (Please select all that apply)
Before 6 weeks 2 5.41%
6 weeks 7 18.92%
7 weeks 7 18.92%
8 weeks 8 21.62%
9 weeks 9 24.32%
10 weeks 1 2.70%
After 10 weeks 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2012, 03:32 PM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
Okay - so I screwed up the poll so just pick the one that YOU are going to do. I forgot to check the "allow multiple answers" box.

Does your doctor do an ultrasound at that appointment? How many throughout the pregnancy?

I could go to a place that does an ultrasound at every appointment and a 4d one at 20 weeks, but it is fairly far from home, even though it is the second closest place, ha! The closest doctor does 3 ultrasounds, one at 9-10 weeks, one at about 20 weeks and one more at 36 weeks.

Last edited by bettyearl; February 12th, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
February 12th, 2012, 03:39 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had my first appt at 8 weeks, and this office actually did an ultrasound then and there That is the first time this happened to me. With my other pregnancies I had to schedule an appointment elsewhere for 8 weeks then wait for my appointment.

This office generally does 2, but being higher risk, she told me I will probably have one once a month, maybe more toward the end to check fluid levels.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

February 12th, 2012, 03:40 PM
sexypepsi25's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have my first appt on the 22nd I will be one day shy of 10wks, I will get and u/s to date it for sure then my only other one is when I'm 20wks

February 12th, 2012, 03:44 PM
2Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
I was 6 weeks and it was just blood work and to confirm the pregnancy. I go the 22nd for an u/s so 11 ish weeks then next will be around 18-20 weeks and another around 34ish weeks.
February 12th, 2012, 03:47 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I go this week for my first appointment so 9 1/2 weeks. They only do an u/s at 20 weeks unless there is a medically necessary reason.

[
February 12th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Frugile Wife
Send a message via Yahoo to jennylynnf
i went to er and saw nothing to see on the u/s at 3 weeks, er again at 5 weeks got a u/s and print out, i get one at 12 weeks from my ob, and one at 20 weeks to determine the sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftsfromGod View Post
I go this week for my first appointment so 9 1/2 weeks. They only do an u/s at 20 weeks unless there is a medically necessary reason.
a medically nessesary is one before 13 weeks, they can tell if your baby has down syndrome or other diformities, you can google the the sthings they have to look for in that careu/s, they dont just do them so you can see the baby, everyone gets that one for medical reasons i think you need to talk to your provider about that u/s exam. and they can only tell between 11 and 13 weeks and 6 days. i know i have military care for the next cpl months and they will even do those 2.
February 12th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Frugile Wife
Send a message via Yahoo to jennylynnf
and if your using a military facility you need file a complaint, i know someone that had to do that bc they told her she would only get one u/s and they treated her like a queen after that and made sure they made an apt that day for her 12 week u/s.
February 12th, 2012, 04:17 PM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
I know a lot of providers out in UT only do one scan as well, at 20 weeks.

I asked my doctor about why that is and he said the insurance won't pay for more than that and they don't have their own u/s facility.

February 12th, 2012, 04:23 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I went at 9 weeks. I got an ultrasound done, but they don't normally do them. They did it because I'd recently had a miscarriage and wanted to ease my mind.
GiftsfromGod likes this.

February 12th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylynnf View Post
a medically nessesary is one before 13 weeks, they can tell if your baby has down syndrome or other diformities, you can google the the sthings they have to look for in that careu/s, they dont just do them so you can see the baby, everyone gets that one for medical reasons i think you need to talk to your provider about that u/s exam. and they can only tell between 11 and 13 weeks and 6 days. i know i have military care for the next cpl months and they will even do those 2.
My Dr does offer the screening between 11-13 weeks but I opt out of it (as do many women). My insurance would not cover it because I am not at high risk for genetic problems. I would never terminate due to a result from that screening and at the 20 week u/s they would be able to determine if there were any life threatening abnormalities that would require treatment at delivery. Most of the early u/s that are done are used for dating purposes and are done before 9 weeks. My doctor does not do routine dating u/s (although he will if you are not sure of when LMP was or irregular cycles) but since I have regular cycles a dating u/s was not necessary.

[
February 12th, 2012, 04:32 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylynnf View Post
i went to er and saw nothing to see on the u/s at 3 weeks, er again at 5 weeks got a u/s and print out, i get one at 12 weeks from my ob, and one at 20 weeks to determine the sex.

this is an optional test - one I always decline.
GiftsfromGod likes this.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

February 12th, 2012, 05:22 PM
JennaBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was 6 weeks 5 days my first appointment but I am also high risk and had some bleeding. My understanding is for a 'normal healthy' pregnancy the norm is around 8 weeks for the first prenatal visit and that is only with a nurse to do intake stuff. You wont see your OB here until 10-12 weeks when they can hear the HB and actually DO something

Thanks*Sharon*for our beautiful siggy!

, , ,,,
February 12th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Dee
My first appointment is in my 11th week, just for blood testing and confirmation. They do not do ultrasounds at this appointment, but I can schedule one at a different facility if I want it. I don't plan to at this time unless our midwife recommends it when I meet with her.
February 12th, 2012, 06:59 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have my first one tomorrow at 7w1d. They will do a sonogram and then I meet with a midwife, not sure what else will be done!

February 12th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Sapphires View Post
this is an optional test - one I always decline.
Ditto.

My midwife was like "I'm pretty sure I know you'll decline it, but I have to offer it to everyone anyways." I declined and had to sign a paper saying that I declined it (as well as the triple screen blood tests).

It's not worth it to me, even just to get an extra peek at the baby. I'd rather not.

February 12th, 2012, 07:18 PM
lovemyleah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first appointment was at 6 weeks, 3 days, because I was spotting. I then went back one week later. My next appointment, where I will have my pap, history, blood work, etc is February 20. I am going to a new OB for this pregnancy, and I think they do an ultrasound at 18 to 20 weeks, and then again if medically necessary. I did have the first trimester screening done at 12 weeks last time, because I wanted an excuse for an ultrasound. Never in a million years would I consider termination, but I simply wanted to be prepared if I could be. Also, I know the statement that I wanted an excuse for an ultrasound is lame, but I'm willing to accept that.

February 12th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMc View Post
Ditto.

My midwife was like "I'm pretty sure I know you'll decline it, but I have to offer it to everyone anyways." I declined and had to sign a paper saying that I declined it (as well as the triple screen blood tests).

It's not worth it to me, even just to get an extra peek at the baby. I'd rather not.
I've been thinking about this a lot. It is encouraging to know that it's optional... that isn't how our baby book describes it.
February 12th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Yea, you don't have to do anything you don't want to do. In fact, you can even decline the gestational diabetes test and the strep B test later on down the road (although no one will ever present it as an option, you'd have to bring it up, and then they'd make you sign a waiver). I've done those two each time though. But.... no one can force you to do anything.

February 12th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMc View Post
Yea, you don't have to do anything you don't want to do. In fact, you can even decline the gestational diabetes test and the strep B test later on down the road (although no one will ever present it as an option, you'd have to bring it up, and then they'd make you sign a waiver). I've done those two each time though. But.... no one can force you to do anything.
It is true that they can't force you to do any test but they can deny to see you at their practice if you refuse some tests. Your insurance can also get really picky about covering your pregnancy if you refuse certain "mandatory" tests because you are going against medical advice which they deem as risky and can refuse to cover the pregnancy. So just be really careful if you start refusing tests that you know what your rights are and if you want to risk being kicked out of the practice or not having insurance cover the pregnancy.

(Oh and the reason I know is because I really pushed if I really had to have the 3 hour GD test done with my last pregnancy. We eventually came to a compromise where I checked my levels 4 times a day for several weeks but it was a fight to get them to do something other than the normal test)

[

Last edited by GiftsfromGod; February 12th, 2012 at 08:02 PM.
February 12th, 2012, 08:58 PM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first appt is this Tues, and I'll be just shy of 9 weeks, so that's what I chose. I will have an u/s then, plus one around 20 weeks, and a 3D sometime around 33-36 weeks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search