Is it true that... (heart beat question)

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2012, 04:57 AM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The chance of miscarriage is less than 1% if you have heard or seen a heart beat? Is that a true statistic? It just doesn't seem right to me, it seems very low compared to how many stories I have heard!

February 15th, 2012, 05:20 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
*lurking*

My fertility doc said less than 5% once you have seen the heartbeat.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

February 15th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Bobb's Avatar Veteran
I don't know the percentages, but I also heard chances on m/c drop once you hear the heartbeat.

February 15th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Veteran
*also lurking*

I have heard all the same things, once hearing a heartbeat, chances are low. I have also read certain ranges of what the heart rate should be, anywhere from like 120-150, I think....

With that said, when I heard the heartbeat, she said it was at 120, which right away knowing that was the lower of the range I wasn't crazy about it...Our next appt. it was found the heartbeat stopped two days after we heard the heartbeat.

I do apologize, my intention is not to freak anyone out, I am just sharing my story of being one of the few %'s that this happened to. I try to be logical about things, and I have said to myself "I knew that heart rate seemed low." HOWEVER, plenty of babies have started out with low rates and have grown to healthy babies.....

So, while the whole idea of conceiving, having a healthy pregnancy and baby isn't enough to worry about, there is no rhyme or reason to any situation at all! I am currently preparing for my second IVF try, via frozen transfer and am just trying to tell myself to stay positive, and don't try to over analyze anything, ya know?!

Sending you positive healthy pregnancy, and healthy baby vibes for a smooth 9 months!!!!!! ;o)
February 15th, 2012, 06:33 AM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been told and read 5% after hearing it with a doppler (as oppose to u/s which can see the heartbeat much earlier). I have also read that after 11 weeks the risk drops to 2%.

With that being said I have had two good friends lose babies at 13-14 weeks where they had heard good heartbeats 4 weeks earlier and went in for a normal check up and found the baby was gone.

[

Last edited by GiftsfromGod; February 15th, 2012 at 09:53 AM.
February 15th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Starstrydergrrl's Avatar Super Mommy
Don't know percentages but the previous pregnancy we heard and saw a heartbeat only to find out a few days later the baby had stopped growing. But it was an iffy pregnancy to start, I was bleeding, almost no morning sickness and almost no breast tenderness. So all the signs of a pregnancy was almost non-existent.

So not sure, maybe it is so if you are experiencing a healthy pregnancy. Either way I would go with what your doc is saying, if he or she feels all is well go with that.

February 15th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
I have also heard that it is less than 5% if you hear it with the doppler.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

February 15th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftsfromGod View Post
I have been told and read 5% after hearing it with a doppler (as oppose to u/s which can see the heartbeat much earlier). I have also read that after 11 weeks the risk drops to 2%.
Yeah I think I heard/read the same thing...because after like 11 weeks all the organs should have formed and started working.
February 15th, 2012, 08:06 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have heard all the same things as well

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

February 15th, 2012, 08:15 AM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been concerned with the 125 heart rate we were told but the baby was measuring 6 weeks 4 days so heart rate is still increasing at that point right? We didnt hear it, only saw it - but just gotta be optimistic! Next appt they will let us hear it and that will be around 11 weeks.

February 15th, 2012, 08:22 AM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
My doctor said once the heart starts beating your risk drops to 5%. I've been in that 5% before, so I know it happens, but it does give you some confidence
February 15th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Moldovandish's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope it's true. With my loss the baby had a good strong heartbeat at 11 weeks and then at the 16 week appointment it was gone. But I'm hoping that's an exception and doesn't happen as often. I'm still going to freak out all the way till the 16/18 week point this time.

Baby Caleb - born on Sept. 15, 11.31 pm, 8 lb. 15 oz.
February 15th, 2012, 11:03 AM
GeekLover11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashley8 View Post
I've been concerned with the 125 heart rate we were told but the baby was measuring 6 weeks 4 days so heart rate is still increasing at that point right? We didnt hear it, only saw it - but just gotta be optimistic! Next appt they will let us hear it and that will be around 11 weeks.

When I went in for my ultrasound at 5 weeks 5 days, the baby's heart rate was measuring at at 113 bpm. We couldn't hear it either just saw it flickering away. The tech told me that that rate was absolutely normal and not to listen to what other folks said . I went in for my checkup last week and I heard a healthy 165 bpm. I am sure that your bean is just fine!

I was able to pick it up on my doppler at home close to 9 weeks. This is why I am so glad that I have a doppler. It is just so reassuring and gives me peace of mind

Ashley
Ashley
February 15th, 2012, 08:20 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have read that is very early pregnancy (like 6 week ish mark) that the presence of a heartbeat is more important than the actual number, because it will increase from that point. Don't know how much truth there is to that, but I read it from a fairly reputable website (I think)....

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
February 15th, 2012, 08:29 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I've heard that it's 1% after 10 weeks. Before that it's still low once you've heard it/seen it, but not quite that low.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search