Birth plans?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
Are any of you writing one up? I have never done one before, but with my history I think I should if I want the Drs to understand exactly what I want and what to avoid. I just don't know where to start. What all will you be including in yours? When will you give a copy to your doctor? Any advice for writing one?

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

February 15th, 2012, 07:50 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will be slightly modifying mine from my last birth.

I really want delayed cord clamping, I was a bit annoyed that after my last m/w assured me, they do it, they cut it right away.

the most important thing in my birth plan to me, is that if I end up in another crash c/s with general anesthesia that the baby not be put on display until I get to see her/him. I don't mind DH holding the baby and getting pics, but when I found out that MIL got to see and hold my first baby before I was awake I nearly lost it. It upset me so much.

here is my birth plan from last time - I started to change a few things...

Kendra Family Birth Plan

Mother-to-be: Ami Partner: Michael
Due Date: 09/10/2012
Place of Birth: Shady Grove

This birth plan is intended to express the preference and desires we have for the birth of our baby. It is not intended to be a script. We fully realize that situations may arise such that our plan cannot and should not be followed. However, we hope that barring any extenuating circumstances, you will be able to keep us informed and aware of our options. Thank you.

Before Labor Begins:
*As long as the baby and I are healthy, I would like to go at least 10 days over my due date before scheduling a Cesarean Section.
*If I go past my due date and the baby and I are fine, I prefer to go into labor naturally rather than scheduling a Cesarean Section.
*I would like to discuss laboring at home as long as possible

First Stage (Labor):
· Upon arrival at the hospital, I would like to have my partner with me at all times
· Dim Lights.
· Would prefer to wear my own gown.
· Would prefer not to have students, residents etc.
· Maintain mobility (Walking, rocking, up to bathroom, etc.)
· Clear fluids and ice chips
· Please do not offer me pain medications, I will ask for them if I want them.
· IV lock for emergency only
· Limited number of internal exams

If Available I would like to use:
· A birthing ball/stool
· A squatting bar
· Tub or shower to labor in

Augmentation:
* I would prefer to walk to speed labor.
* I am also open to other suggestions for speeding labor

Second Stage (Birth):
· Choice of position (including squatting)
· Directed Bearing Down
· Birth/Squat Bar
· Would prefer to tear rather than have an episotimy
· Would like to avoid using forceps or vacuum extraction
· As long as baby and I are doing well, I would like to be allowed to push for as long as it takes

Baby Care:
* Would like to wait to cut cord until it has stopped pulsing
* Prefer partner to cut the cord.
* Delayed eye medication and other tests until we have had a chance to
breastfeed
* Breastfeeding only
· No pacifiers or glucose water
· Do NOT circumcise

(continued)

Cesarean Birth:
· Spinal/epidural anesthesia
· Partner present
· Free one hand to touch the baby
· Breast feeding in recovery room

If General anesthesia is administered
· Please allow my partner to see the baby as soon as possible
· Please do not put the baby on display in the nursery until I have seen the baby. Other than my husband, I want to be the first family member to see him.

Sick Baby:
· Breast feeding as soon as possible
· Unlimited visitation for parents
· Handling the baby (Kangaroo care, holding, care of, etc.)
· If the baby is transported to another facility, move us as soon as possible

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

February 15th, 2012, 08:23 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't write a birth plan with my first and probably won't this time either, but you never know, I could change my mind. I think my biggest rules are:

Let me position MYSELF to push. Absolutely do NOT make me lay on my back to push. And unless there is concern with the health of the baby and reason for: I do not want to be forced to push and rest, push and rest. If I feel the need to push through two contractions in a row, let me. I also demand respect from my nurses/hospital staff just as they expect respect from me and my family.

Also- I prefer to breastfeed right after baby is weighed and measured. And I want skin to skin contact directly after birth before all measurements!

Those are some of the most important things to me!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

February 15th, 2012, 09:26 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know if its necessary to do one this time since i'm going to a birthing center where they'll let me do almost anything i want anyway. With my son i had a birth plan although the nurse didn't follow it so what was the freakin' point?! Grrrr. I still feel like its worth having, you just need someone to be your advocate and speak up for what you want as you go through labor. I gave a copy to my doctor and made a few copies for the hospital as well. I wish i still had it saved but it was on my old computer. I included things like letting me labor in any position i'd like, only intermittent monitoring, only occasional cervical checks, no IV unless necessary and requested a hep lock only, and things i wanted afterwards such as baby immediately being placed on my chest and able to BF quickly, DH cutting cord, etc.

I looked at a lot of samples of birth plans from other people and that helped to create one for myself.

February 15th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Super Mommy
I've been thinking about writing one, but I've never felt it really necessary. I have no issues vocalizing what I want, and if it's not on par with hospital policy then having it written down won't change anything. I've never really had issues getting what I need.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
February 15th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
I don't want to be offered anything for pain.
They are not allowed to give me an episiotomy.

The rest I don't care about. I will have my doula with me.

February 15th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I started writing mine today. I want dh to look at it later to see if everything sounds good to him. If I post it on here when I am done will you all take a look at it, and tell me what you think?

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

February 15th, 2012, 06:18 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes

February 15th, 2012, 06:21 PM
2Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
I am waiting for my first midwife appointment and then going from there as to whether I am writing one up or not.
February 15th, 2012, 08:40 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I don't write up a birth plan. My midwife knows what I want by then, and when in doubt, with go with the most hippy dippy option LOL. She knows I'm a go with the flow sort of person anyways. I make no plans.

But...I will make sure she notes not to let those jerk OBs come near me, and if it's a boy, there will be no circing. But, not necessary to even right that down cuz it's not like they catch the baby and cut them right then and there...it's usually the next day (from what I hear)...and by then I'll be checked out and at home. Hoping to go with the checking out 6 hours post-birth option this time as I won't be delivering on or near a holiday or in winter weather.

February 16th, 2012, 05:32 AM
JennaBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
our OB has you 'fillin' their generic one. In all honesty 'during' labor our hospitals do NOT sit down to read birth plans. I'm high risk so at the end of the day regardless of what my 'preferences' are they are going to do what is best for me and baby. I have my DH be my advocate for everything else. But regardless we just go with the flow. I've never had my 'idea' birth but I've never been an ideal patient either and although some of the choices that were made for me I NEVER would have chose on my own (totally was against epidural) It saved me from worse things (like a c section! or baby/momma demise!!!) My OB knows I want the most natural experience but sometimes that isn't always possible, for me I'm not dwelling on the road to get there just he prize at the end <3
February 16th, 2012, 05:47 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
even as a higher risk patient I am a bit more anal about my care now.

With my first, I "went with the flow" because I wasn't educated, and ended up completely missing my son's birth and several hours after his birth.

Now that I am a VBAC patient, I have to fight for everything I want, and I want as many people to know that as possible. I make it known that I won't just roll over and let them do whatever they want under the guise of "it's best for the baby"

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

February 16th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well here is my birth plan...

Mother: Tiffany Lash
Father: Kyle Lash
First off we would like to say thank you to our wonderful birthing team! We chose you because we feel that you are the best fit to help us bring our baby into this world. In the event of an emergency: If the situation becomes life threatening for Tiffany or our baby we will of course yield to any request of life saving intervention, upon the briefest of consultation. In the strong likelihood that we have the normal birth that we are expecting, we ask that you refrain from any routine interventions or measures that we have not previously agreed upon. We would like to thank you again for your support and encouragement during this time.
Birthing
We would like to be assigned a nurse that enjoys doing natural and non-medicated births.
Since Tiffany will be using hypnosis please refrain from telling her what she will feel. She prefers to have her own experience.
We will be performing various techniques of self- hypnosis and for this reason we ask to be allowed to bring soft music, use dimmed lighting, and ask for the staff to kindly use a low voice - avoiding references to "pain" or "hurting"
Please keep in mind that hypnosis does require a high level of concentration on Tiffany’s part.
Tiffany will be using self-hypnosis to manage her birthing time and may not be immediately responsive to questions during pressure waves. Please wait until her pressure wave ends and her eyes open to converse with her, or feel free to quietly speak to Kyle.
Please do not offer Tiffany any medications for pain, to strengthen pressure waves, or to hurry the birthing process. We are aware that it is available, and will ask about it if necessary.
We ask that Tiffany be allowed to hydrate herself with water or other fluids as desired, and we will be happy to accept a saline lock.
Tiffany would like to be able to move around freely and assume any position that she finds comfortable during the birthing process.
Tiffany prefers to wear her own gown during the birthing process
We would like to decline EFM, and would prefer intermittent monitoring as necessary.
Please do not break Tiffany’s water until just before the baby’s head emerges if her water has not already broken.
We would like to keep vaginal exams to a minimum. We would prefer them to only be done under the following situations: upon admittance to the hospital, if it appears that progress has seriously stalled, and upon Tiffany having the desire to push
Please do not discuss cervical dilation progress or lack of progress (including the number of centimeters dilated or percentage effaced) while in the room with Tiffany.
Pushing and Birth
We ask that during the time that Tiffany is pushing that her pushing be mother directed as we are using hypnosis for childbirth pushing techniques. This means that Tiffany would like to be able to be in a position that is comfortable for her. We also ask the staff not to direct Tiffany on how to push unless an emergency arises.
Tiffany does not want an episiotomy and we do not want a vacuum or forceps to be used on the baby.
Please do not clamp or cut the cord until it has quit pulsing.
We would like for Kyle to be able to cut the cord.
We would also like Tiffany to be able to deliver the placenta naturally without assistance.

We appreciate your patience with us. Thank you for the care we have received during our prenatal visits and in advance for the respect and assurance we know you will provide.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search