Depression

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Parker'sMommy's Avatar Veteran
Does anybody else get depression during the 1st trimester? With my first pregnancy I was really depressed the entire 1st trimester but I was also very sick and felt like crap pretty much any time I wasn't sleeping. So I kind of attributed the depression to feeling so bad. But this pregnancy I feel great and have hardly any MS at all and yet I am still extremely depressed. And I have no reason at all to be. It just really has me down lately. And I had postpartum depression last pregnancy...I was already planning on asking for meds to start pretty much the moment after birth. I feel like I missed out on a lot the early weeks of my sons life because I was so sad/anxious.

*************Thank you to Claire1979 for my awesome siggy!!**************

February 15th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Super Mommy
*raises hand with very little motivation or enthusiasm"

Me. I intend to ask for some Zoloft at my appointment on Monday.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
February 15th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Veteran
I'm right there with you. I've been wondering lately if I have depression or if it's just the pregnancy. I'm suspecting it's the pregnancy, but I didn't feel like this with my first two. All I wanna do is sleep. I never wanna leave the house and I can go days without putting on makeup. I'm hoping things will change once I'm out of the first trimester and get some energy back, if not I think I'm gonna have to talk to the doctor. It's not fair to my other kids. (I'd say it's not fair to DH too, but so far I'm the one suffering through this pregnancy so I'm not feeling quite as sympathetic for him)
February 15th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am actually the opposite I was taking anti depressants before i got pregnant and i dont know what it is all the hormones or what i FEEL GREAT!!!

February 15th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Buttercups's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
I am actually the opposite I was taking anti depressants before i got pregnant and i dont know what it is all the hormones or what i FEEL GREAT!!!
This was the case with my first pregnancy so I was really surprised to be so depressed this time around! I hadn't felt so depressed for no reason since the postpartum baby blues that thankfully only lasted about a week.
It's like an overwhelming feeling of hopelessness and a little rain cloud constantly hovering over you that you can't shoo away. I hate it!
Thankfully my meds have kicked it.

February 15th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Parker'sMommy's Avatar Veteran
I had no idea I could take something while pregnant. I talked to the nurse practitioner about it today though and she said Zoloft would be fine. I haven't decided...but I should probably do it. Anybody have experience being on Zoloft during pregnancy? Everything was fine I am sure...it just worries me I guess. But then again...what doesn't worry me lately

*************Thank you to Claire1979 for my awesome siggy!!**************

February 15th, 2012, 08:12 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Me, me, me, me!!!!!!
I think for me, it's because a few things are going on...I feel tired and yucky much of the time, which makes me feel ugly and unattractive. I cant stop eating like a pig and I stay in a constant state of bad mood- so I get irritated with any and every one and sometimes for no good reason. All together, it makes me feel miserable and depressed. Then I feel guilty because after our miscarriages, I spent so much time praying for this pregnancy, so I am really grateful for it. I don't like complaining, but really this is my least favorite time in pregnancy.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
February 15th, 2012, 08:23 PM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know if I'd call it depressed, but I do feel a lot like you ladies. So tired, I can't get out of the house, or off the couch. All I want to do is sleep. I haven't done my hair or makeup for...a long time. I have mounds and mounds of laundry to do, and my house is really in a huge state of disarray. :/

February 15th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Starstrydergrrl's Avatar Super Mommy
Yeah, same here. I know though that mine is because of the constant worry that something isn't right and I am just not picking up on it. Even though logically I know I am fine and my gut says fine but past experiences have me paranoid. So I am emotionally drained and it is making me depressed.

February 16th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm definitely different this pregnancy than last. I was SO happy last time all the time This time, I'm fatigued a lot, irritable, lose my patience easier, and more anxious in general.... But I'm not depressed. I think it's just the first trimester messing with me

I would suggest asking about wellbutrin instead of Zoloft. Just my opinion though

February 16th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Super Mommy
Deciding to take an anti-depressant during pregnancy isn't a light decision, and the nurse telling you it would "be fine" makes me nervous, I'll be honest. You should always know the risks of medication, and they should tell you what they are, not just "it'll be fine."

Anti-depressants can cause birth defects, but the risks are extremely low. Also, the baby can suffer withdrawal once it's born.

Antidepressants: Safe during pregnancy? - MayoClinic.com

Quote:
The potential risks of these antidepressants during pregnancy varies. Early studies suggested a risk of limb malformation with tricyclic antidepressants, but the risk hasn't been confirmed by more-recent studies. Some research associates use of citalopram, fluoxetine and sertraline with a rare but serious newborn lung problem (persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn, or PPHN) when taken during the last half of pregnancy, as well as heart defects affecting the septum — the wall of tissue that separates the left side of the heart from the right side of the heart. Other rare birth defects have been suggested as a possible risk in some studies, but not others. Still, the overall risks remain extremely low.
Quote:
If you take antidepressants throughout pregnancy or during the last trimester, your baby might experience temporary discontinuation symptoms — such as jitters or irritability — at birth. Tapering dosages near the end of pregnancy isn't generally recommended. It's not thought to minimize newborn withdrawal symptoms, and it might pose additional challenges for you as you enter the postpartum period — a time of increased risk of mood and anxiety problems.
So, yeah. Not a light decision at all, really. =/ Lesser of two evils. If you need the antidepressants to function, take them. If you can get by without them, I would not take them. That's my personal decision, though.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search