Worst Pregnancy Advice you have Recieved?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By GiftsfromGod
  • 1 Post By Repti.Mom
  • 1 Post By RunningMommyTo5

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2012, 05:56 PM
YumPickles's Avatar Veteran
It seems like as soon as someone finds out you are pregnant they automatically pull out unsolicited parenting and pregnancy advice. Some of it is more crazy and messed up than others.

A co worker of mine once told me to never raise my arms above my shoulders because it could cause the cord to wrap around the baby's neck. She had 5 children of her own, so I have to assume she spent 5 pregnancies never lifting her arms.

What is the craziest advice you have gotten?

February 15th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Buttercups's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's pretty crazy! No crazy advice the first time around, just lots of advice, questions, and concerns that I didn't want to hear.
With this pregnancy, we aren't telling anyone until I'm showing, cutting the amount of time I have to listen to all that crap in half.

February 15th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
OMG I guess i am not the only one my friend told me about the arm thing lol....

Oh and one night i was on the phone with one of my friends and i told her that i was making a cup of sleepy time tea it helps me relax and for some reason makes me calm and helps my muscles relax. sleepy time has camamile in it and my friend said OMG what are you doing are you trying to hurt the baby... and she started saying stuff about herbal medicines and pregnancy and what not ... well after she calmed down i had to explain the my tea barely has camimile in it and that it is mostly just for the flavor... not like a herbal supplement... i do my own research thank you.

February 15th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Super Mommy
My great grandmother told me about the arm raising thing, too.

I got pregnant four months after my C-section, and one of my friends suggested I have an abortion because otherwise my uterus might rip open mid pregnancy, killing both of us. I found that somewhat irrational.
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
February 15th, 2012, 07:24 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was also told the arm thing. Also told not to paint when pregnant (even though I was using non toxic paints in a well ventilated area)

People always get super nervous because I'm always climbing on chairs and step stools to get stuff. I get a big belly quickly so people start getting nervous that I'll fall over and hurt the baby. I'm 5'0 so climbing on stuff is pretty much the only way I can reach about 50% of the cabinets in our house and yes I know how to do it carefully.

While not directly pregnancy related my grandma loves to tell me how that wearing my babies is going to cause my spine to curve prematurely. It doesn't do any good to try to explain to her that it is a good carrier and I wear it properly so it does not hurt my back at all to carry my babies for long periods of time.

Then when you get to about 35 weeks EVERYONE has to tell you what they/their friends/and distant relatives did to induce labor. And the sad thing is that once you hit 40 weeks you are ready to try just about any of them

I'm sure my list could go on and on and on as I've been given a lot of free advice over the past few years.
bettyearl likes this.

[

Last edited by GiftsfromGod; February 15th, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
February 15th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
LOL I got told the arm thing too during my first pregnancy!
February 15th, 2012, 08:07 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't receive this advice personally, but I saw it on a message board while I was looking for something else.
In the message, one lady was recommending to another lady (who was pregnant) that she keep a heating pad on high against her abdomen to provide an "incubator" for her fetus.
Seriously? Not good advice. At all.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
February 15th, 2012, 08:25 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I've been told not to paint either...erm, I'm not painting a whole house with windows shut...I'm doing acrylics on canvas..totally different and not a concern at all. LOL!

February 16th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftsfromGod View Post
I was also told the arm thing. Also told not to paint when pregnant (even though I was using non toxic paints in a well ventilated area)

People always get super nervous because I'm always climbing on chairs and step stools to get stuff. I get a big belly quickly so people start getting nervous that I'll fall over and hurt the baby. I'm 5'0 so climbing on stuff is pretty much the only way I can reach about 50% of the cabinets in our house and yes I know how to do it carefully.

While not directly pregnancy related my grandma loves to tell me how that wearing my babies is going to cause my spine to curve prematurely. It doesn't do any good to try to explain to her that it is a good carrier and I wear it properly so it does not hurt my back at all to carry my babies for long periods of time.

Then when you get to about 35 weeks EVERYONE has to tell you what they/their friends/and distant relatives did to induce labor. And the sad thing is that once you hit 40 weeks you are ready to try just about any of them

I'm sure my list could go on and on and on as I've been given a lot of free advice over the past few years.
Geez I wish people would have been concerned when I did stuff like that when I was working! But seriously, I worked in produce for years and lifted 50 lbs on a regular basis, climbed pallets of watermelon, etc etc etc, never once did I hurt myself.
bettyearl likes this.

February 16th, 2012, 06:23 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I was told by a coworker while expecting my oldest (who is a man nonetheless), that I should quite running and working out all together. I was "too small" and hadn't gained "enough" weight. My baby was going to be too small. He said this because his wife, also due around the same time, quite doing absolutely anything active. I informed him that both my MW and Dr were fully on board with what I was doing and not only supported it, they encouraged it. They said healthy mom equals healthy baby most of the time.

Well, he was SO sure that my baby was going to be grossly small and made sure to tell me up until I left work 2 weeks before I was due. All I heard from this man was "stop running so much, you're too small." "You're hurting your baby. He's going to be so small and have problems at birth". "All that running's going to force the baby to come before he should." I mean, he wasn't subtle about it all.

So, fast-forward to day after me having oldest DS, all my co-workers come to visit me and DS. He was there (and I didn't know his wife had her baby the week before). Turns out, he was SHOCKED that my DS weighed 8lb4oz, fully healthy and 5 days late. His wife gave birth (also full term) to a barely 5lb baby LOL. Thank goodness their baby was healthy, I would never wish anything bad on anyone or their child. But, it was very funny to see the shock on his face and know that he had to eat crow. Although, of course, he never apologized. But, just the look on his face and his comment on my "huge" baby...which of course DS was a good size and chubby...but not huge, I guess just huge compared to his tiny one....anyhow, that was all the satisfaction I needed!
bettyearl likes this.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

February 16th, 2012, 09:03 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am laughing at all of these! I can't remember any bad advice I've gotten while pregnant. Maybe I just don't care to listen to stupid people!

I have a low tolerance with people trying to tell me how to do things and I also have no problem putting them in their place before they even get that far. Maybe thats why... hahaha

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

February 16th, 2012, 09:29 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't heard anything so far (as this is #1...) but I am not looking forward to it...

Oh, one of my dad's friends did say that I shouldn't drink chocolate milk and instead switch to Ovaltine because of all the sugar. I've had an aversion to sweets since the start of pregnancy, don't take away my one last form of chocolate-y pleasure that I can actually stand!!

February 16th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
I was told the arm thing with my first. With my second my sister chewed me out for cleaning my toilets, shower, and stuff like that. My dh was deployed, so who was going to do it? I told her to feel more than welcome to drive the 20 hours once a week to come clean my toilets for me. LOL! I got a clot of crap when I was pregnant with my second because I was doing to much. I mowed my yard at 30 weeks, and I thought my family was going to have a cow. We lived on base, dh was gone, and it had to be done. If it wasn't done then we would have been written up. They all complained but not a single one of them offered to come visit and help me out.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

February 16th, 2012, 02:27 PM
JennaBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I put them all in I am heavily pierced. over 30.. lost count a while ago When I was pregnant with DD1 I wore most all of them and I had one lady tell me that I needed to "close all the holes or 'stuff' will seep in them and hurt the baby!!" I laughed so hard I almost peed myself.
February 16th, 2012, 02:38 PM
YumPickles's Avatar Veteran
I had no idea the arm thing was so popular. I thought my co-worker was just a nutter, lol.

February 16th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
In the booklet that I got from my Ob it has a list of myths, and the arm thing was on there. It sounds like that is a popular myth.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search