Umbilical cord blood questions

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GiftsfromGod

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Mrs_Crystal_K's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm a FTM so all of this stuff is foreign to me...

I've done a little bit of research about the advantages of not cutting the umbilical cord immediately after birth, but rather waiting until the blood is done pulsing in it. What are your thoughts on this? I will be having my baby in a hospital, so will they "force" me to cut the cord immediately?

If I do delay in cutting the umbilical cord, I'm guessing that means I can't bank the cord blood? Have any of you done that? Is it expensive?

Thanks ladies!

Diagnosed with Stage II Hodgkin's Lymphoma on 3/23/12 at 13w1d pregnant.
February 16th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Super Mommy
I donate my kids' cord blood, so I don't wait for it to stop pulsing. Banking it for ourselves is just too expensive. I don't think the hospital will "force" you to do anything, but it's worth bringing up with your OB if it's what you want.

Oh, and no if you wait for it to stop pulsing it all goes back to the baby and so there's nothing left to bank. =)
Breast feeding, formula feeding, baby wearing, stroller pushing, VBAC successful, video game playing, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, mac and cheese feeding, vaccine free, happily married, LDS mother to 3 beautiful children. And now you know everything about me.

My Blog - Thoughts from Momland, where the mountain dew is cold, the kids are loud, and the laughs are endless.[/CENTER]
February 16th, 2012, 11:14 AM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
It's very common to delay now, even in hospital.

February 16th, 2012, 11:55 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it is become more common to wait to cut it, I am going to insist on it this time - so much of the baby's blood is in the cord - I'd rather she have it in her!

yes, once the cord blood is in the baby, you can't bank it.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

February 16th, 2012, 01:04 PM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
You know, I wanted to delay cutting the cord with my babies and it turned out for my last two births that the cord had already stopped pulsing before they got around to cutting it at the normal time anyhow. So really, there was no point in waiting.

So, if you want to bank your cord blood, just know that sometimes there isn't anything to bank!
February 16th, 2012, 01:42 PM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am interested in the delayed cord cutting too! I never heard about it until AFTER I had Keira. I need to read up on that! But I don't remember there being blood in her cord when DH cut it anyways, because they put her on my chest for a while before they cut it anyways- so maybe it is becoming more common in the hospitals and we aren't even realizing it.

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

February 16th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What difference does it make? LOL that's not a snotty question, I honestly don't know what the difference is...like is there a difference between babies who's cords have been cut at different times?
February 16th, 2012, 04:15 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
What difference does it make? LOL that's not a snotty question, I honestly don't know what the difference is...like is there a difference between babies who's cords have been cut at different times?
Here's an article that talks about the benefits of waiting to clamp the cord Health Risks, Benefits Come With Delayed Umbilical Cord Clamping There is a ton of info out there on the subject if you google it or even ask your doctor.

[

Last edited by GiftsfromGod; February 16th, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
February 16th, 2012, 04:20 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_d View Post
I am interested in the delayed cord cutting too! I never heard about it until AFTER I had Keira. I need to read up on that! But I don't remember there being blood in her cord when DH cut it anyways, because they put her on my chest for a while before they cut it anyways- so maybe it is becoming more common in the hospitals and we aren't even realizing it.
It's not just the delay in cutting but in clamping the cord to stop the blood flow. The normal practice is as soon as the baby is delivered to put two clamps on the cord to stop the blood flow. They will hand you the baby with the cord still attach and then they will proceed to cut it between where they have placed the clamps so it isn't spurting blood all over which would be why you didn't notice any blood in the cord when it was cut.
3Sapphires likes this.

[
February 16th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Mrs_Crystal_K's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks ladies I'm leaning towards having them wait 2-5 minutes before clamping the cord and cutting it, but am going to keep doing research.

Diagnosed with Stage II Hodgkin's Lymphoma on 3/23/12 at 13w1d pregnant.
February 16th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmm, doesn't seem to have very compelling evidence either way but probably can't hurt delaying it.
February 17th, 2012, 07:20 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
Hmm, doesn't seem to have very compelling evidence either way but probably can't hurt delaying it.
I just sat and read through a few articles (unbiased as I could find) and have to agree with you here. It seems like there are pros/cons to each way. I honestly don't see anything wrong with doing it either way, though.

I guess from all the hype over the last year I have heard about this it made it seem like it was so horrible to clamp and cut before it was done pulsating.

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

February 17th, 2012, 07:31 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
My midwife delays. She didn't even ask me if that's what I wanted. She always defers to the most "natural" option. I pushed my daughter out and they immediately put her on my stomach with the cord still attached.

With my son though I had an OB and I'm pretty sure they cut it right away.

If you wait they get more oxygen.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search