Keflex Antibiotic

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JulieMc

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Has anyone ever been put on this during pregnancy? I am only 8 weeks and my Dr prescribed it for an infection I have. It is a category B so I know they can prescribe it for pregnant people, but when I research online there has not been many studies done on pregnant people. The one's that have been show a possible association between this and cleft lip or heart problems. Any experiences...good or bad?
February 17th, 2012, 07:28 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I personally won't take any antibiotics when pregnant, especially in the first trimester and before 10 weeks. Well, I would if I had a raging internal infection like sepsis or something...but otherwise, no way. I don't think they know enough about what they do because what pregnant women are willing to sign up for a drug study while pregnant, ya know? I'm currently suffering with an upper respiratory infection now well into its 2nd month...and still won't go get anything....it'll go away eventually.

What you do though, is totally up to you. I'm just extra weird about any drugs during first tri.
GiftsfromGod likes this.

February 17th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you. Ya, I am really nervous about it. Especially after reading that. I am just nervous because she said there are risks to the baby if the infection gets worse or obviously if it goes into my blood stream. I don't know what to do. I am thinking of just letting it be. I have already been feeling better anyways.
February 17th, 2012, 07:32 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Can I ask what kind of infection? Is it possible to use something penicillin based? Those are in the lowest risk category for pregnancy and the ones most drs will turn to first for pregnant women when they must be taken. I had a double-ear infection earlier this pregnancy and the start of strep throat, so I had to take amoxicillin. I called my MW and OB to verify that my PCP was right in prescribing me these, and both agreed that they were safe, but recommended only when absolutely necessary. My OB said most penicillin based ones are going to be ok. Was it your OB that prescribed it? If not, I would double check with your OB to be safe and maybe see what their recommendation is.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

February 17th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningMommyTo3 View Post
Can I ask what kind of infection? Is it possible to use something penicillin based? Those are in the lowest risk category for pregnancy and the ones most drs will turn to first for pregnant women when they must be taken. I had a double-ear infection earlier this pregnancy and the start of strep throat, so I had to take amoxicillin. I called my MW and OB to verify that my PCP was right in prescribing me these, and both agreed that they were safe, but recommended only when absolutely necessary. My OB said most penicillin based ones are going to be ok. Was it your OB that prescribed it? If not, I would double check with your OB to be safe and maybe see what their recommendation is.
Ya. I had an ingrown hair that turned into a boil/abcess type thing. It finally drained and feels so much better. It looks much better too. She just wanted me on an antibiotic to be safe to not have the infection become worse, but now that I read the side effects I am not sure if that was a better idea. It was my midwife who prescribed it. I saw her instead of the doctor because he was running so behind.
February 17th, 2012, 07:37 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariussweety21 View Post
Thank you. Ya, I am really nervous about it. Especially after reading that. I am just nervous because she said there are risks to the baby if the infection gets worse or obviously if it goes into my blood stream. I don't know what to do. I am thinking of just letting it be. I have already been feeling better anyways.
I was also in your situation, where all my drs agreed that my ear infection was so nasty, that left untreated, I could lose my hearing. Also, they all agreed that you absolutely can not leave strep untreated in a pregnant woman, it's not something that will heal itself and at some point, put the baby at risk. So, all my drs concurred that the risks far outweighed the harm to me and baby. I would suggest further consulting with your OB before making a decision either way. I was tempted to not take my course of meds, either, until my MW went into detail of what can happen down the line to me and baby if an infection like strep is left untreated. I'm not sure why she'd prescribe the meds she did for you when the much-safer pencillin based ones should knock it out. Are you allergic to penicillin by chance? I would definitely be calling with more questions to see if it's absolutely necessary and if so, can they try a milder antibiotic before using one that strong, KWIM?
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

Last edited by RunningMommyTo5; February 17th, 2012 at 07:40 AM.
February 17th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningMommyTo3 View Post
I was also in your situation, where all my drs agreed that my ear infection was so nasty, that left untreated, I could lose my hearing. Also, they all agreed that you absolutely can not leave strep untreated in a pregnant woman, it's not something that will heal itself and at some point, but the baby at risk. So, all my drs concurred that the risks far outweighed the harm to me and baby. I would suggest further consulting with your OB before making a decision either way. I was tempted to not take my course of meds, either, until my MW went into detail of what can happen down the line to me and baby if an infection like strep is left untreated.
Ok. Thank you! Maybe I will try to give them a call and see what they say. That way I can express my concerns about taking it and get some answers.
February 17th, 2012, 07:48 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Yea....you have to weigh the risks and benefits. I'd call the OB. Or a pharmacist can give you info on its safety as well.

February 17th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Kaema's Avatar Kris
Send a message via AIM to Kaema Send a message via MSN to Kaema
I was put on keflex during my first pregnancy for my "spiderbite" ((which was actually a deep nasty MRSA abscess)) and the end result was a horrible yeast infection. T___T Hopefully you don't end up that way.

Thank you GraysMama for my gorgeous siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search