Breathable bumper decoration???

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By silverlife
  • 2 Post By kemper2.0

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Veteran
I have been such a worrier with this pg. I was not near as bad with dd1 I have been thinking about the bumper/suffocation hazard and I am really thinking about getting a breathable bumper but they are so plain. Do you think I could use an iron-on applique to dress it up? Would it still be considerd breathable?
February 26th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Super Mommy
I hear you...I never put any bedding in the crib besides a sheet and a blanket....With my son I went out and bought the whole bedding set....With my daughter I bought one as well...She got a few bad colds when she was 6 and 8 weeks old and was hospitalized so they suggested slightly elevating her matress to help her breathing...Well she rolled over and her face was into the bumper bedding..Luckily I was in the room when it happened...But the whole bedding was out of the crib immediately and I never used it again...
We have a book here that the hospitals give called Tiny Tot to Toddlers and they actually do NOT recommend any bedding for babies besides a sheet and blanket...
February 26th, 2012, 08:47 PM
starrsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Agree with above. The breathable bumpers are also now officially NOT recommended.

Missing 2 little beans (Aug 07, Oct 08)
Blog (Running with Emmett)

February 27th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Veteran
My mom had a good suggestion - putting the bumper on the outside of the crib. Do you think that is safe?
February 27th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just read that they are not recommended. We won't have a bumper of any kind (a first for us). It makes me kind of sad cause they are so cute!
February 27th, 2012, 07:49 AM
gratefulmama's Avatar Melissa, Mama to Lily
Wow, I had no idea that they have changed the guidelines to not recommend breathable bumpers. Our baby will be in our room for the first 4-6 months, but then I had planned to move him to his room and use a breathable bumper. Glad I saw this thread!

February 27th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I know that they've been recommending against the padded bumpers for a while now. I couldn't find anything on the CPSC site about the breathable ones being bad.

If you think about it, if the breathable bumpers are bad, wouldn't that imply that play yards (like pack 'n' plays) are also bad? They use the same mesh for the sides as the breathable bumpers do.
THE angry uterus likes this.
February 27th, 2012, 09:29 AM
gratefulmama's Avatar Melissa, Mama to Lily
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlife View Post
I know that they've been recommending against the padded bumpers for a while now. I couldn't find anything on the CPSC site about the breathable ones being bad.

If you think about it, if the breathable bumpers are bad, wouldn't that imply that play yards (like pack 'n' plays) are also bad? They use the same mesh for the sides as the breathable bumpers do.
Excellent point!

February 27th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Here is the most recent news article about breathable bumpers

Get bumpers out of cribs, doctor group urges - CNN.com
February 27th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I will look and see if I can find the one I read about breathable bumpers. It basically says the same thing as the above article but spent a few more words on the breathable specifically.

No More Crib Bumper Pads, Doctors Say

Here's one. Just clarifies that the AAP used to only take a stand against fluffy bumpers but now that's changed to all bumpers including breathable. To me, this is a minor easy change. Less stuff to buy and clean anyway.

February 28th, 2012, 04:59 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
I'm not using even a breathable bumper. However we are inheriting a very nice crib that's 20 yes old so the spindles don't quite meet today's safe distance requirements. I was thinking about making individual pads for each spindle but I'm not sure.

I don't think an iron on would affect breathability but the fabric might not be iron safe?

Pinterest
Flickr
February 28th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by one.juniper View Post
I'm not using even a breathable bumper. However we are inheriting a very nice crib that's 20 yes old so the spindles don't quite meet today's safe distance requirements. I was thinking about making individual pads for each spindle but I'm not sure.

I don't think an iron on would affect breathability but the fabric might not be iron safe?
Your crib, your kid, your choice. But please at least educate yourself on why the safety standards have changed on cribs in the last 20 years. Babies can die in cribs from preventable causes (not just SIDS).
Most of the times the safety standards are changed because of a number of deaths that occurred. Even one is too many for me or that mom. It's hard to imagine how a baby can die when you just look at a crib....but a slightly wrong angle catching a head or limb or baby being pressed against a pad when they roll over and can't roll back can all do it.

February 28th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Heres a quick article but there are many more out there.

Safety Of Crib Slats | LIVESTRONG.COM

February 28th, 2012, 08:21 AM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hadn't heard that the breathable bumpers weren't recommended any longer until reading here. I've heard such bad reviews about putting them on that I never really considered them. We will use bumpers with this baby, just as we did with DS. I take them off when they can start rolling though and don't put them back on until I feel comfortable that they can and will move if they aren't getting any air.

Honestly, there are so many things that can be classified as unsafe and what is or is not recommended changes so very often. My best advice is to use your mommy spidey sense because that is worth relying on. I am a big fan of mother's intuition
gratefulmama and ElizMommy like this.

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

February 28th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemper2.0 View Post
I hadn't heard that the breathable bumpers weren't recommended any longer until reading here. I've heard such bad reviews about putting them on that I never really considered them. We will use bumpers with this baby, just as we did with DS. I take them off when they can start rolling though and don't put them back on until I feel comfortable that they can and will move if they aren't getting any air.

Honestly, there are so many things that can be classified as unsafe and what is or is not recommended changes so very often. My best advice is to use your mommy spidey sense because that is worth relying on. I am a big fan of mother's intuition
Ditto to all the above. We will do the exact same thing. I don't read too much into the whole you should do this and not that thing. My daughter only would sleep on her belly when she was born and if I read the research it told me she probably wouldn't make it through a night of sleeping on her belly. My pediatrician said to let a baby sleep the way it wants to sleep and chances are in 10 years they'll change the rules again to only have babies on their bellies! And Alexandra turned out just fine (still sleeps on her belly in fact to this day). Just my opinion though.....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search