So up set right now need advice

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Expecting #1
I woke up this morning and thought I had a UTI however I'm no doctor and have had a few in the past this one if it is is not as server as the ones I have had before. So I call my OB office and see if I could get in there or if it would be easier to go to a walk in. The nurse tells me that the OB office is very busy today and a walk in would be better today.

So I go to a walk in wait like an hour holding my urine knowing that I always have had to give a sample in the past and with a UTI it mostly dripples out so I put myself in pain so I can get a decent amout for the sample.

I finally get into the doctors office wait another 15 minutes about ready to burst the doctor finally comes in and asks what I'm in for so I tell him I may have a UTI. He asks what my symptoms are so I tell him some and then I tell him I'm pregnant so that if I do have one I can take safe medication. He tells me to go wait in the loby for my prescription and leaves the room.

So I go to the lobby have a seat he comes out and hands me a peice of paper and I am like ***!?! so I say to him your giving me a prescription without sending me to the lab to even see if thats what I actually have. He's like well your a good candidate for it. but ok go to the lab I'll send the work down.

So I go to the lab and finally releive my bladder. I come out and ask the receptionist so how do I find out my results she goes well there doctor didn't put a stat on it so in like 2 days. I said ok but he gave me a prescription and didn't even know if thats what I have or not. she's like well idk what to tell you. So I stand there staring at her ready to flip out then she says well you could go back up and ask him. I was so mad that I walked out before I freaked out on her.

So here I am thinking the doctor gave me a prescription of medication for me and baby to take without even knowing if its what I have or not!!!! and now I'm thinking I am never gonna know if I have one or not cause he already gave me the prescription so its not like he's gonna call me with the results and I now don't feel save taking the medication at all and idk what to do now .........

February 27th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You can go t the pharmacy or walmart and gt ahome uti kit to check for yourself. sorry you had to go through all this!
February 27th, 2012, 03:17 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hmmm maybe call a health line and see if they suggest anything? I agree with Jamie tho, a home kit might serve you well. and yes pregnant women are candidates for it, so he probably didnt test you just cus of that. I would call up the walk in you went to and demand a nurse go back and forth and talk to him. I wouldnt take this. SOrry you have this BS.
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

February 27th, 2012, 04:10 PM
txmumx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry that it was a whole PITA experience

February 27th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Chevy_Gurl's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm sorry you went through that. I always get UTI's during my pregnancies and normally don't ever give a urine sample. just tell them the symptoms and get my script.
... (A 09/98) ... (S 5/00) ...(T 5/01) ...
... (S2 9/06)... (A2 01/09) ... (A 7/2/12)

February 27th, 2012, 07:30 PM
fairymommy's Avatar Veteran
im sorry you had to deal with that. Not cool for him to brush you off and give you a prescription with out confirming. If I was you, I would still try to get in with my regular Dr, just for the peace of mind. Or do one of those home tests. Hope you feel better.
February 27th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Super Mommy
So sorry you had to go through that....I would feel like you and not want to take the medication unless I needed to...I would call back up the office in 2 days, if you can hold off that long and ask for the results...Say., he gave you a prescription, but you are pregnant and do not want to take it if the results are negative....
February 28th, 2012, 06:11 AM
MissMeliss0522's Avatar Super Mommy
Thats crazy! If it were me though, I would get the script filled to have on hand and wait to take it until I got the results from the UA. Definitely call back in 2 days for the results
February 28th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would call the clinic back and speak to a supervisor/patient advocate about the situation. That was completely ridiculous and uncalled for. His actions need to be known.

I would also call your OB and let them know. They might call over there or help you out more.
February 28th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Veteran
They can dip your pee & know right away if you have a uti. The delay is for a culture, which ironically will tell them if the med you've been prescribed will work. If you know you have a uti, then take the meds. An untreated uti puts you at a higher risk for preterm labour.....BUT if you are worried that it might be something else, call your ob and tell them you are coming in for a dip. It will take them 5m or less. Once you start taking an antibiotic any tests they take will likely come up negative.

If you get them on a fairly regular basis or not & just want to prevent this situation for next time ask your regular dr or ob for a standing order at the lab. This is what i have, so when I think (i'm always right) i have one I simply go give a sample & my dr phones the script into the pharmacy for me.

If you're going to go without the med for a few days while this gets straightened out, drink a tonne of water & take some extra vit c. The vit C acidifies your urine so the bugs dont like it. You need to take it throughout the day, don't go crazy lol but it's water soluble so it won't build up in your system, the extra water will flush it out. I know everyone says cranberry juice, BUT regular cran has a lot of sugar in it that counteracts the D-mannose & acidity of the cranberry juice. So either brew up your own sugar free or get some from a health food store. I find the vit C & water works just as well.

Good luck! UTI's SUCK!
February 28th, 2012, 07:58 AM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would call a pharmacy and ask a pharmacist if taking the medicine would harm you if you don't have a UTI. If they say no, I see no problem with taking it, just in case, until your doctor gets back in touch with you.

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

February 28th, 2012, 03:48 PM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Typically many doctors will prescribe a broad-spectrum antibiotic while waiting for a UA culture to grow...(can take 2 days)... if you think you have a UTI and have all the classic signs/symptoms, I'd probably take the abx until the doctor or results tell you otherwise... It's fairly standard practice with doctors from my clinic area to do just what happened to you...it doesn't justify why he wasn't actually going to test your urine...but it's pretty safe to say, it'd be better to get you out of misery now and find out results in a few days...
February 28th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Expecting #1
I went to the pharmacy and they dont have at home UTI tests. I get UTI's all the time and they always test me. The pharmacist said better to take the drugs then to not since I wasn't tested I'm still phoning the clinic tmrw to find out the results.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search