thrift stores

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2012, 06:06 PM
ohfiddleheads's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is it worth it or a good idea to buy infant clothing from thrift stores?

Hannah Elizabeth born June 30, 2012
via Cesarean due to breech presentation
7 lbs 15 oz, 20.5 in
February 27th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Mamacc's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sure you can find some good stuff at thrift stores. I usually get good deals buying new stuff at stores so I don't bother. Like Carters recently had a bogo free sale and you could use a coupon so most of the outfits came out to be between $5-10, which is about the same as most of the thrift shops....at least in my area. I am always keepin an eye out of the good sales and coupons and collect baby stuff gradually.

February 27th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Veteran
imo sometimes. With clearances and sales etc at stores I don't think spending more than a few bucks on clothing is that good of a deal. For example the clearance racks at Gymboree or Childrens place usually has some pretty good stuff and you can use a coupon on it to get stuff for $2 or so.
I think you might find some better deal on craigslist, moms groups (there are two sales in my area, one is by the multiple mommy groups and their prices are really good.)

February 27th, 2012, 07:41 PM
fairymommy's Avatar Veteran
I think so! I know we will still end of getting tonnes of brand new stuff as gifts, or picking up ourselves, but just tonight we went to Value Village, and got about a dozen sleepers/onesies, which are usually only 99 cents - 1.49, for all 50% off! SO worth it in my books! Really cute name brand stuff too! love it! I say if it is clean, no rips/tears, or looking well worn...why not!
February 27th, 2012, 07:59 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The nearest thrift store to us is Talize and its just about the same cost for infant stuff than going to the store. IDK how they justify charging like that, but some buy. I have seen some good deals that I had to put back cus I dont know the gender. I do strongly suggest washing them a couple times befor letting baby wear them. But nothing wrong with thrift stores and totally worth it if you do the research
Id check out Craigslist tho Ohfiddleheads, that will be worth it to, considering you know your having a girl and you can see online and stuff
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 Autistic and 1 Down Syndrome child
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alyssa Marie Jade
September 1, 2013 @ 11:01pm 6lb 8oz & 18.5in
Emerg C Sec, Down Syndrome blessing, AVSD, Hirschsprungs, G tube
58 day NICU stay, Sept 1- Oct 29 2013

February 28th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Mamacc's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymommy View Post
I think so! I know we will still end of getting tonnes of brand new stuff as gifts, or picking up ourselves, but just tonight we went to Value Village, and got about a dozen sleepers/onesies, which are usually only 99 cents - 1.49, for all 50% off! SO worth it in my books! Really cute name brand stuff too! love it! I say if it is clean, no rips/tears, or looking well worn...why not!
Wow that is cheap!! Around here it's typically more like $5-8 for baby stuff and from what I've seen it's not that cute. I love the Gymboree clearance rack too!

February 28th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Super Mommy
I agree with the other ladies and say you just have to watch what you buy because sometimes a store clearance is just as a cheap as a thrift store. I love rummage sales, so I buy a lot of kids clothes at them. The thing is, babies are constantly growing, so they only wear an outfit 2-3 times before they've grown out of them. So, I personally can't justify paying too much for infants clothes. Just my opinion though!
February 28th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There is a consignment store right by my work and I LOVE IT! It is slightly pricer than the thrift store (which we only have one of) but the quality is better since they don't accept any stained/worn clothing. Sometimes the prices are even better than the thrift store and they have a much larger selection since it is all just kids stuff. I have scored on large items there (bouncy seat for $10, the fisher price rock n sleep $20, etc) and even small items (changing pad/diaper holder $1, bottle warmer $5, etc). I plan on going by on my lunch hour today in fact.
February 28th, 2012, 07:04 AM
starrsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I prefer the stores that specialize in kids stuff versus just the regular thrift store. I buy lots of second hand close for E. I never spend more than $2.50 on an item and a lot of times get a bunch of nice stuff for under 5 bucks!!! The store we go to actually discriminates on the clothing it accepts so it doesn't have the junk to weed through like reg thrift stores. And they organize it by size and season. And they have great sales where everything of a certain category will be 50 cents or something.

Missing 2 little beans (Aug 07, Oct 08)
Blog (Running with Emmett)

February 28th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Veteran
I think it is up to you - as long as it is clean. We have a good consignment store that is picky about what it takes. There is also a large consignment sale for maternity and kids and baby items. They have it 2x per year. I haven't been to it but I hear it is wonderful - out of this world! It is coming up so I am excited to go!
February 28th, 2012, 07:59 AM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love consignment stores like Once Upon a Child and Kid to Kid. They have GREAT clothes for a fraction of the cost. I would even say that most of my son's clothes came from either of those two places. A lot of the times you can find clothes with tags still on them so you know they are brand new!

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

February 28th, 2012, 03:56 PM
maddy and tommy's mommy's Avatar Lovin my precious kiddos!
Definitely if there is a good one near you. I go to an all kids consignment store a few towns over, and I have found some incredible deals. I got Maddy a Northface Fleece for 15.00, and a Columbia winter coat for her for 15.00. I have purchased so many clothes there for her. Just recently I got some baby clothes, including a baby boy fleece pull-over from the Gap, jeans, shirts, etc., and 2 maternity shirts for 18.00!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!
February 28th, 2012, 05:11 PM
txmumx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love consignment stores! Especially for denim.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search