2nd opinion appt today!! **Updated**

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Parker'sMommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Parker'sMommy's Avatar Veteran
I have an appointment today for a second opinion on my Vbac. The doctor I went to for my first appointment won't let me try for a vbac and is going to schedule a c-section. I gave it a few weeks thinking maybe I would change my mind and be okay with a scheduled c-section but I'm really just not. So recently I was venting to one of my best friends about it and she said I should talk to her OB/GYN. She loves him evidently. She even called his nurse and talked to her about me and when I called in to make the appointment they already knew my story. I am really excited to get an objective opinion and to be able to ask all the questions I wanted to ask the first doctor before she brushed me off.

I don't want to get too hopeful but if he agrees to a vbac it means I will have to switch hospitals to one a little farther from me...small price to pay I guess. I am so excited the clock seems to be standing still. The appointment is at 2. I am meeting a friend for lunch before so hopefully that will take my mind off of it for awhile.

UPDATE - So this doctor is really amazing. He walked in and pulled up a chair and talked to me for 50 min!! His nurse finally came in at the end to hurry him up for his other appointments. He never seemed rushed and looked like he was perfectly content to sit there all day talking. It was a really great experience. He said he would do a VBAC or a scheduled C-section and it was completely up to me which way I wanted to go. If I go for the VBAC though the hospital is even further than I thought...about 45 min from our house. We went around and around about the risks, possible complications, pros and cons, etc... And now I can honestly say that I am even more confused about what to do than before. He wouldn't really give me an opinion either way and said it is completely up to what experience I want and what I am comfortable with. At the end of the visit I decided to switch to his office for the rest of my pregnancy and at least that buys me the next 25 weeks or so to make a decision.

Either way I am so relieved that he sat and answered all of my questions and talked openly about everything. I couldn't be happier with the way things turned out today!!
nroundtr likes this.

*************Thank you to Claire1979 for my awesome siggy!!**************

Last edited by Parker'sMommy; March 20th, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
March 20th, 2012, 10:06 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I'm so glad you decided to get a second opinion!!! I really, really hope you get the news you want and this dr agrees to your VBAC! Can't wait to hear your update!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

March 20th, 2012, 11:39 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think this is so great that you are going to get a second opinion! I hope that you get good news, and if not, I hope you will have some peace of mind and get questions answered unlike at your last appointment!

I can't wait to hear what he says!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

March 20th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Sagga02's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sagga02 Send a message via MSN to Sagga02 Send a message via Yahoo to Sagga02
Oh i am glad you are getting a second opinion. Keep us updated

www.etsy.com/shop/sagga02
March 20th, 2012, 12:29 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
good luck! I hope this doc doesn't rule you out!

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

March 20th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
praying for good news for you i hope you get to have the option of a vbac.

March 20th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am also so happy you decided to get a second opinion!! I really hope you get more answers and things go well!!! Looking forward to your update

March 21st, 2012, 05:58 AM
Veteran
Glad you got a second opinion and that it went well! For what it's worth, if you were a really bad VBAC risk I don't think he'd let you make that choice. If I were you, I'd go VBAC and maybe write up a plan of situations in which you'd go for a section during labor - like if you went X time without progress etc. That way even if your doctor would do that anyway YOU have it as part of your plan and you don't have to worry about decisions during labor. Another thing you could do is say you want a vaginal birth if you go into labor on your own but would like a scheduled section instead of a induction if it comes to that point. I'm maybe go with scheduled section vs induction if you were induced last time and it went poorly.
March 21st, 2012, 06:12 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
sounds like an amazing doctor!

45 minutes isn't that far, the hospital I had my first in was 20 minutes, the one I had my vbac in was about 45 minutes + traffic (and of course I was in active labor at 7am! zoinks!)

and the hospital I will be having this VBAC in is an hour and half away + traffic.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

March 21st, 2012, 09:58 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is such great news! I think that switching Doctors is a great choice, it sounds like he knows what he is talking about and clearly cares a LOT about people and what they want! THAT is huge!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

March 21st, 2012, 11:00 AM
Sprinkle 2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is great news. How wonderful to find a doctor that is so caring and understanding. It sounds like he will really work with you no matter what you decide is right for you.

March 21st, 2012, 11:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So glad you found such an amazing doctor. Congrats!
March 21st, 2012, 12:12 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow it sounds like your appt couldn't have gone better!! Regardless of the decision you make its great that you found such a wonderful doctor who will back you up either way. So happy for you

March 23rd, 2012, 01:38 PM
nroundtr's Avatar Veteran
You mentioned that the hospital is 45 minutes away, but my best friend's hospital was 3 hours away. She and her DH had been forced to move back to their hometown following a job loss close to the end of her pregnancy, so she didn't have time to find a new doc close to home. She made it to the hospital with like 9 hours to spare. Of course we're all different in how fast we delivery, but I thought this might encourage you a little!

March 23rd, 2012, 02:07 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So happy for you that the choice gets to be YOURS!!!!
FWIW, I also deliver at a hospital that is 45 minutes away so that I can VBAC and be with a provider I love. It's not so bad. It does get to be a bit of a pain there at the end since my appts at my midwife's office are right next to the hospital but totally worth it in the scope of things.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
March 24th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Frugile Wife
Send a message via Yahoo to jennylynnf
glad you got a second opinion! that other doc didn't sound like they would listen to you if you ever had other concerns or request. a VBAC is nothing wrong with trying and has been very sucessful for many ppl, just work up a plan on paper with your doc since he sounds like he'll support your choices. I know we have to respect and remember they are the doctor, but i think many times they forget its our bodies and we have patient rights to make informed decisions. So they tell us what they think and know, and WE DECIDE what route with what risk we want to be treated with.

Jessica Wearing Her SQUISHY BUM'S Cloth Diaper made by mommy
Facebook.com/Squishybums

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search