OT - If you have more than 1 other kid...or anyone willing to give me some advice

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2012, 09:30 AM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have any of your kids ever cut a siblings hair? This happend to me last night! Well not TO me, but my son cut off all my daughters hair Of courses she has a ballet recital coming up soon. And it's so far from "repairable" I'm so upset. If this has happend to you how did you handle it? What type of punishment was given for this? BTW DS is 6.5 years old and DD is 4.5. I actually knew she took scissors upstairs and had instructed her to go up and get them and bring them to me. She went up and got them, her brother saw her and decided to cut her hair right then and there. He SOOOOO knows this was NOT a good thing, but still did it. I'm at a loss. BUT I also know this can NOT go unpunished. Any ideas????

March 22nd, 2012, 09:54 AM
Mrs_Crystal_K's Avatar Super Mommy
Eeek!!! I don't have experience with this with my own kids. But I actually DID this when I was younger. I was probably 7 or 8 and I cut the little neighbor girls hair. My mom was IRATE. I honestly don't remember what my punishment was though.

Diagnosed with Stage II Hodgkin's Lymphoma on 3/23/12 at 13w1d pregnant.
March 22nd, 2012, 10:00 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry! That isn't fun to deal with. I've heard of kids cutting their own or another kids hair so i know its not uncommon to happen but I'm not sure how i would react or what the punishment would be. How do you normally discipline? He seems older so.. Is there something coming up that your son has been looking forward to that you can "ground" him from? Is there any way to take her to a professional and see if they can't make it look more even?

March 22nd, 2012, 10:15 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh man. I have no idea!

Maybe take away his favorite show for a week?

I'd get your daughter in quick for a trim, even if it is very short you can still girly her up with a pretty bow in her hair. or a frilly headband...

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

March 22nd, 2012, 10:17 AM
Super Mommy
Yikes. I am terrified of this happening. So much that I even threw away the plastic "scissors" from the playdoh kit and the doctor's kit. DD's preK teacher told me that she needs to practice scissor cutting before kindergarten.
I'm not sure...I would be livid... I can see myself sending DD to her room for her own safety! (I'm not really a spanker, but I would be highly tempted, so I would want her out of my face.) Let us know what you decide!
March 22nd, 2012, 10:21 AM
I'm going to HAVE to take her to a profesional. Seriously it's like he gave her banges on the SIDE of her head. There are spots in the back no longer than 2" She really just needs to have it in a pixie cut and let it grow out, but I'm going to HAVE to try to save some length in the front (if possible) because the way they are supposed to have their hair for her ballet recital next month. I'm going to post pics in a bit and then I'll post when we see how we can "fix" it. Well, he got a spanking last night for it, but I'm also going to make him do chores to "pay" for her haircut. I didn't know if that sounded like appropriate punishment. I don't want him to think OK I got a spanking it's over - no big deal. This is seriously the most stressful thing to me right now

March 22nd, 2012, 10:27 AM
Oh yeah, and honestly my kids don't get many spankings, but I felt this one deserved it. About the tv...he is already grounded from that and the computer for making a HUGE mess in the bathroom (dumped out a brand new bottle of shampoo) last week. I know I have been sick for awhile and I attribute that to some of his behavior (wanting the attention), but it's getting out of control!

March 22nd, 2012, 10:55 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Oh, Amy!!! I'm so sorry!!! My boys haven't attempted this at all. I only allow them to use the scissors supervised at the table, though. I think the spanking was a good immediate disciplinary action, but I do think you're right that there needs to be something more lengthy to get the point across, as well. We only spank in situations that are severe enough to warrant it, as well, such as outright defiance as well as situations were they need it to be understood that this is NOT acceptable (like the hair cutting, or when they try something that could be potentially dangerous; running toward the road, climbing on things, etc).

Anyways, I think the chores idea sounds like a good one if he's not already required to do them. I like the idea of keeping him away from something he's really looking forward to...maybe a friend's birthday party or making him sit out if he plays baseball from practice and games for a week or so???
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

March 22nd, 2012, 12:24 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My oldest cut the 2nd oldest's bangs when they were really little. He was only like 3 though, it was right before her 2nd b-day, they were about 1/4 inch. SOO short. Sydney, the #3 has cut her own hair at school, I have no idea why.

I'm not sure what punishment would fit the crime in that case. He's old enough to know better for sure.

March 22nd, 2012, 02:17 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so sorry, that is so stressful!! My kids have never done that, but I would be very mad if they did. I think you did the right thing with the spanking and chores sound like a good idea as well. Does he have a favorite toy or possession? Maybe you could ground him from it for a little while?

March 22nd, 2012, 02:31 PM
Well, I am much calmer now that we are back from the hair place. It actually looks really cute. They did layers in the back so you can't tell the uneven short short pieces, and some on the side. They were able to leave just enough length to pull it back a little on top, which will work for ballet. I seriously cried for hours when this happend last night and stressed all morning until we got it fixed. I'm downloading pics of the before and after right now...I'll post them in a minute

March 22nd, 2012, 02:52 PM
Here is DD about 2 weeks ago...

And today after her brother cut her hair last night:

You can see just how short it is in the back here:

And AFTER the professionals "fixed" it (just long enough to be pulled back a little)

Oh yeah and upon closer inspection...DS cut his own hair too! Just 1 little spot right in the middle of his forehead!

March 22nd, 2012, 02:57 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so glad the hair dresser was able to turn her hair cut into something so cute!! Your kids are adorable, btw

March 22nd, 2012, 02:58 PM
I was too! And thanks

March 22nd, 2012, 03:04 PM
morethanamom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We went through almost the exact same thing! DD2 had a ballet recital and one month before, she gave HERSELF a haircut. It was so bad. She just did the front and sides but they were so short it was like a mullet. I literally called my mom hysterically crying and she helped me fix it. She had a cute pixie cut and thank goodness her tiny face could pull it off but I was so angry for days after that I could barely look at her. She had just started to get long waves past her shoulders. I managed to slick it into a tiny bun for her recital.

March 22nd, 2012, 04:05 PM
Thankfully our ballet teacher just told us they just want a little pulled back from their face for recital (like I have in the new pics) so that was what I was most worried about. Right now it has to be pulled to her right side though because some of the hairs are a little to short if we pull it back in the middle. Either way, It will work. And at least it turned out cute

March 22nd, 2012, 04:15 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Her new haircut is absolutely adorable!!!!! I'm glad they were able to fix it

March 22nd, 2012, 04:58 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Amy, she looks absolutely ADORABLE with that haircut!!! I'm so glad everything turned out well in the end, and hopefully DS learned his lesson!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

March 22nd, 2012, 05:27 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I totally agree with everyone, her hair now is so cute!!! I actually like it even better than her longer locks What a cutie pie! How is DS responding to everything going on?

March 22nd, 2012, 05:55 PM
Sprinkle 2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awww, the new haircut is so cute! Your kids are adorable! Glad everything turned out ok for you. My mom told me i cut my hair when I was little and she cried, too. Apparently she followed a trail of my little ringlets to find me and the scissors at the end!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search