Homemade Moby wrap

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MrsTiffy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2012, 06:28 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Monkey Sew, Monkey Do: Make Your Own Moby Wrap Tutorial

A Load Of Craft: Tutorial: How To Make A Baby Wrap Part 3

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

March 23rd, 2012, 07:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
I can't wait to try to make my own moby wrap!! Thanks for sharing!!
3Sapphires likes this.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

March 23rd, 2012, 12:45 PM
Sagga02's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sagga02 Send a message via MSN to Sagga02 Send a message via Yahoo to Sagga02
I think i am going to try this I am worried about being on the larger side and working out how to do all the wrapping. Maybe a ring sling would work better for me? Any input?

www.etsy.com/shop/sagga02
March 23rd, 2012, 02:10 PM
Sagga02 - that is my worry too, but I'm gonna give it a try anyway!

Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

March 25th, 2012, 04:20 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want to make one or two. I need to order the two parts I lost to my sewing machine first.

Is there any other fabric you can use besides gauze?

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
March 25th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Kaema's Avatar Kris
Send a message via AIM to Kaema Send a message via MSN to Kaema
I am plus sized and have a sleepy wrap and LOVE it. That will be the first carrier this LO will be in. I know other fluffy mothers who also love their stretchy wraps. Wrapping takes a little practice, but once you get it down, it's second nature!

As far as material goes, I know other mothers who have made wraps out of the jersey material at JoAnn's because they wanted a stretchy wrap as opposed to gauze.

Thank you GraysMama for my gorgeous siggy!
March 26th, 2012, 04:04 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love that you posted this so people can make their own!! i ended up buying one with DS and loved it at first (until baby gets heavier)

March 27th, 2012, 05:00 AM
I am planning on using jersey material. It will probably be my first project on my machine, but I figure it is all straight lines and nothing too terribly complicated, so I have I am successful!

March 27th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think I'll give this a try thanks for sharing!!

March 27th, 2012, 03:40 PM
morethanamom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my youngest I made my own. I had a UBW but it was navy blue and too dark for me. They're so easy to make!

This time I have a moby but am waiting for a good deal at JA's to buy fabric for another.

After baby gets too heavy, a woven wrap is much more supportive. You can make your own woven wrap too. Osnaburg fabric is sold at Joann's and is perfect for it

April 4th, 2012, 12:59 PM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
You can also do a woven/jersey combo and buy half as much fabric. You might even have something on hand that would work for the woven component. Any strong woven fabric will do. Honestly, you pay as much for the 5 yards of material you need (unless you find a killer deal) as you would for a moby wrap. It will make you 2 wraps, which is an advantage. But then you have to sew it! lol Using a serger works really much better with stretchy fabric so your seams don't burst as the fabric stretches. If you do use a regular machine, be sure to have some zig zag to your seam to allow it room to move. You can turn your edges under if you prefer the look, but again a straight stitch will not last.

Make it like the Moby D -

Moby Wrap Inc.

Also Start Here to Learn Babywearing has some other tutorials. Kind of a home-madey type website, but loaded with good info.

Whoah! They don't even have the Moby D's anymore! Crazy! I've been out of the loop too long. I used to sell them!
April 4th, 2012, 01:25 PM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
http://gallery.mobywrap.com/Albums/u...tripes-web.jpg

Maybe this will work??
May 1st, 2012, 06:19 PM
JennaBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've made stretchy and linen wraps. If you use a jersey material you don't HAVE to sew it as the cut edges curl and don't fray. I wouldn't recommend making a ring sling unless you are a very experienced sewer to make sure it is sturdy. If you do go the ring route make sure it is with rings made for baby wearing specifically. You can get some great deals on rings on swap shops (JM has a mommy swap shop on FB) and other baby wearing sites.. diaperswappers.com etc. Once baby gets too big for the stretchy wraps you can always line them or add a thicker panel to provide more structure. There are also a few people who make them for you! Mei Tei's are awesome too if you want the cozy carrier but not as much wrapping
October 11th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really want to make a moby wrap!! Did anyone end up trying this? How did it turn out? Care to share a pic?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search