Hospital tour today

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By palmetto_moon

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2012, 09:07 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never gone on a hospital tour and I have to decide between two awesome hospitals to deliver at for this baby!

We are doing one tour this evening and not sure when we will get a chance to tour the other hossy! I'm kind of excited, this hospital is supposed to be awesome and its an all women's hospital right next to the main hospital.

Anyhow- anything I should ask or pay attention to other than the obvious things that I am interested in?

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

March 28th, 2012, 09:18 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my list is going to include a lot of stuff pertaining to VBAC's so it won't apply to but... here are some of mine..

continuous monitoring?
can I bring a birth ball?
iv required or can I have a hep lock?
laboring in tub/shower?

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

March 28th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have to visit my hospital too, not because I have a choice of where to deliver, I just don't know where to go and the baby might be born while I'm wandering the halls

March 28th, 2012, 10:06 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Some important things I would ask would be their openness to birth plans and how you'd like to labor. Are they open to water labor and birth, walking, birthing balls, pushing in whatever position you need to, etc...
Are they open to allowing whoever you'd like in the room to be with you during labor and birth.
How do they monitor during labor and how flexible are they with it?
Are their rooms single occupancy (HUGE one for me....I do not want to share a room with another mom and baby)

Also for me, my questions have to revolve around the c-section, but it's good to prepare for all possible outcomes, so you may also want to ask about that.

What is their general procedure leading up to and after sections?

Do they only allow DH in the OR or is it big enough to accommodate another support person?

Will DH be allowed to stay with the baby once they take baby out of the OR and to the nursery while they finish your surgery?

Do they take you to a specific recovery room or straight to your postpartum room? If recovery room, how long do they typically hold you in there before sending you to your regular room?

How long will I be required to stay in the bed after surgery?

What's the minimal time I have to have my IV in?

And most importantly, will they bring baby into recovery to be with me or will I have to wait until I'm moved into my room?

Hope that helps!!! I hope you like the hospital and after your visits it's very clear which one you prefer.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

March 28th, 2012, 10:15 AM
My questions I can think of so far are along these lines:

-Will the baby be put on my chest when delivered rather than whisked onto a table to be weighed, etc. right away?
-Can I nurse in the delivery room?
-Can I walk around while in labor until I get my epidural?
-Can I labor in a shower/tub until I get my epidural if accessible?

March 28th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Do both your hospitals have separate delivery and recovery rooms?

March 28th, 2012, 10:26 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repti.Mom View Post
That's a great question!!! I don't think of it because I have to have the sections, but if you deliver vaginally, and one has LDR rooms that you never are moved from, then that would definitely make me lean towards that hospital vs having to deliver in one room, and then be moved to a separate room. Unfortunately for me, with the c-section, I get moved a bit, from the pre-surgery area, to the OR, to the recovery, then FINALLY to my room. I would much prefer not being moved at all if that's an option in one of your hospitals!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

March 28th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repti.Mom View Post
Hmm thats a good question! I am pretty sure that in both you deliver & recover in one room and then get moved to post-partum, but that is a great question to ask.

The hospital we are going to tonight is brand spankin new, and the other hospital is older, but was just recently renovated. Both are top rated and have great reviews. I have read better reviews about the nurses at the hospital we are visiting tonight, which IMO is a big deal.

And Katie- you bring up a good point about understanding the c/s policies, its good to plan both ways.

March 28th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Both of ours (if you stay for just 24 hours) you deliver in one room and stay in it til you leave. Actually probably even if you would stay for the whole 2 days after a vag delivery you would stay in the same room unless for some reason they got crazy busy. Our hospitals are not too busy. The labor rooms are very big, they do have a few recovery rooms (at the hospital I'm familiar with) and they are kinda small. I was in one when I stayed the extra time with Noah, just for one of the days they were down the hallway further too, kinda made me feel unimportant.

Either way it's worth asking, and looking at both types of rooms (if both exist).

March 28th, 2012, 11:02 AM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would ask what your options for labor are- intermitent monitoring, laboring or delivering in a tub, access to a shower.
How many visitors/support people are allowed to stay with you
photography or video policy for labor and deliver
If you have a C section does baby go with you to recovery
what is the C section rate at the hospital
nurse to patient ratio

ask about sibling visitation or age restrictions on visitors in the mother/baby ward

aside from asking questions, look for things that speak for themselves or tell you things you can read between the lines. For instance, do the nurses seem attentive and friendly or sort of...not. Do you see lots of babies lined up in the nursery or do most seem to be with mom. what vibe do you get there.
Try not to be swept up in pretty decorations and nice furniture. Pay more attention to the way you observe the staff treating people and how responsive they seem to your questions. Remember that fancy rooms and nice ammenities do not always equal a great place to deliver.
3Sapphires likes this.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
March 29th, 2012, 12:33 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I asked a lot of questions during the tour and they acted like they were very flexible with my wants and desires but when it came down to it they didn't follow through. Hopefully your hospital is more honest and willing to work around their hospital protocol. Some of it also comes down to the nurse you end up with. I agree with Angela. The hospital was very nice looking and put together but that really isn't what matters when it comes down to it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search