We finally told the kids...

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By NYCgirl
  • 2 Post By laisydaisymama
  • 3 Post By amazing_love
  • 2 Post By proudmomtoEthan

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2012, 04:33 PM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Well, I wanted to wait until my 20 week scan and until we found out the sex of the baby. But I had a scan last week (I posted earlier) and found out the sex. So, I was feeling more and more ready to tell my crew.

The kids are now if Easter Break so I also felt it was a good time. I thought it would give them time to think about it and ask questions, plus maybe the 'newness' would wear off a bit and they might not run right to school and tell everyone.

Anyway,

SO, we told them. My youngest started to cry and was very upset. She is 5 and will be 6 in November. My middle guy (7) said that's ok but we have to name him "Leo." I told him no we already named him, Ryan Thomas. My eldest (9) got all quiet and pensive. (He's the thinker). Then said "it is already too loud in the house I don't think it is a good idea". Then he went on to ask all the practical questions like 'where the baby going to sleep?' And do I have to share a room with him? and how old will I be when he's 6? It was cute.

We talked individually with each after the initial 'announcement.' We had to reassure each that they would still have quality time with mommy and daddy. I told my daughter I was sorry she didn't get a sister but said it would be nice she and I would get to be the only girls. She also smiled when I said sometimes we could leave the baby with daddy and go to the city and have 'girls days out.'

I think more questions will come but I am glad we finally told them. Now when I am looking at baby thing online and one comes over I don't have to hide it.

March 31st, 2012, 04:41 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awww your kids sound so cute!! Lol @having to name him Leo!! I know you must feel much better now that you have broke the news to your kids! That was a great idea to talk to them individually after making the announcement. I think I need to do that even though we told our kids weeks ago.

March 31st, 2012, 05:08 PM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like your kid took the news well. Glad it's finally out and you don't have to hide anymore. And I totally laughed about the Leo thing too

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

March 31st, 2012, 05:25 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, we told our son right away, but considering he was only 3 months at the time, not much of a reaction.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
March 31st, 2012, 05:40 PM
RedRose_xo's Avatar Veteran
Sounds like they took it well It must feel nice now that things are out in the open OT but I'm from Cork
We won't be telling Lucy at all, we'll just surprise her when the baby arrives.
I'd prefer to avoid awkward questions as much as possible

March 31st, 2012, 08:08 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sure its a relief to have things out in the open. Glad things ended up well after the announcement! I've never really stopped to consider older children not reacting happily to the news...it makes me wonder if I should have paid better attention to mine each time they announce. I think it's really cool that you talked with each child individually after the announement. I also think its pretty cool that you and DD get to be the only girl in a house full of boys!

Kate- won't Lucy notice your belly towards the end? I love her name by the way!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
March 31st, 2012, 08:38 PM
RedRose_xo's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by amf4976 View Post
Kate- won't Lucy notice your belly towards the end? I love her name by the way!
I'm hoping she doesn't, my BiL and SiL live nxt door to us, and we see them on a daily basis. My SiL is 37 weeks pregnant and Lucy hasn't seemed to notice her belly at all, well at least, if she has noticed she hasn't mentioned anything, which would be completely out of character!

If she asks, I'll probably tell her. But I'm not going to volunteer the information unless I have to..I honestly wouldn't even know what to tell her, as regards to how the baby got into my tummy!

April 1st, 2012, 09:52 AM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Red Rose are you on Magicmum??

April 2nd, 2012, 09:24 AM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRose_xo View Post
Sounds like they took it well It must feel nice now that things are out in the open OT but I'm from Cork
We won't be telling Lucy at all, we'll just surprise her when the baby arrives.
I'd prefer to avoid awkward questions as much as possible

so sorry to butt in, I was just lurking, but this totally BLEW MY MIND! Are you not buying anything for the baby that she will see or are you actually hiding things from her? She's going to be 5 by the looks of your ticker, don't you think she needs a little time to prepare for the fact that her entire life is about to change dramatically?? Honestly, this seems kind of mean to me.....
MamaAnna and birdblue like this.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

April 2nd, 2012, 09:54 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad it went well!! It sounded like you did great so far reassuring them. Their responses were very cute!

Kate- I understand your nervousness and feel its completely your right as a parent to tell her when you are comfortable. Keep in mind however that even if you wait until the baby is born i'm sure she will still be full of questions on how the baby got here but instead you will be having to answer them all with a newborn around. Just a thought

April 2nd, 2012, 12:23 PM
proudmomtoEthan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to proudmomtoEthan
I am glad your kids were excited.

I think it is the parents right when to tell the child. I just want to say that by keeping this from her she may feel it wasn't important enough to tell her.or that she wasn't important enough to be told. She may only be almost 5 but a 5 year old has a lot of feeling. Again though you know your daughter and we don't.
April 2nd, 2012, 01:40 PM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How exciting! I am cracking up at all of their reactions! I just love kid's rationalizations and the excitement of it all! I remember being so excited waiting for all of my brothers to arrive!

And on the whole "not telling the child until baby arrives.." I would have to agree with the other ladies on it. If you don't ever have the conversation with her, someone else will. We have had some questions from our 3 year old, and its just curiosity. I actually read up on some things online as well to help ME answer her questions and it helped me understand that her asking "where does a baby come from" is not the way we perceive it... such as... a 3-6 year old is not asking "how did you make a baby?" it's good to turn the questions around to them, and say "where do YOU think the baby came from?" or ask another question, such as "What would you like to know?" To get a better idea about it.

Explaining your pregnancy to your other children - Second time pregnancy - ThinkBaby

I have pretty vivid memories from when I was 4-5 years old, so it's certainly a moment she is likely going to remember for the rest of her life.

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

April 2nd, 2012, 01:46 PM
CoolMomof2's Avatar Veteran
Glad it went well overall I dont know the gender yet but my daughter [3.5 YO] keeps telling everyone " That's a girl in my mommy's tummy " I know she'll be disappointed too if there's a boy in there

My Blog www.workingmaa.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search