Will they do a early gender ultrasound under these circumstances?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By bettyearl
  • 1 Post By palmetto_moon

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2012, 05:21 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We moved across the country to a oil boom area last year for my husbands job. 2 days ago my husband got laid off. This location that my husband worked for was so profitable that they decided to sell it off to a larger company. All the workers here are going to be laid off. This area has NO housing. People are living in campers, and under people's trailer skirting, to have some form of housing. This was one of the only companies that had housing for their employees. So we are losing out health insurance, housing, and his job. I am going to move back to our home state until he finds housing, probably 6 months to a 1 year, to who knows......and live with my inlaws. My husband will miss the gender ultrasound. I hope whatever job he finds will give him time off so he doesn't miss the birth.

3 doctors think I'm 15 weeks along, and the doctor here thinks I'm 14 weeks. If I call monday and explain the situation, do you think they will do a early gender ultrasound so my husband doesn't miss it? He missed the one with our son because he moved out here before I could to start this job.

God, I'm soooo stressed!!!

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
March 31st, 2012, 05:41 PM
YumPickles's Avatar Veteran
I think it depends on your insurance and how sympathetic your doc is. If nothing else you may find a place to get an elective u/s for around $100.

March 31st, 2012, 06:46 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry to say that I really doubt they will. The gender ultrasound isn't actually for the sole purpose of determining the gender. All of the baby’s anatomy from head to toe will be carefully examined, and lots of measurements are taken to ensure normal growth. Finding out the gender is actually just an added bonus possible during the scan. This scan is normally done between 18 and 20 weeks of pregnancy. My doctor told me that is the best time to get the measurements they need as well as checking the baby's anatomy (organs, spinal cord, etc).

Regardless, it's worth a try; you never know your doctor very well might say yes. It would be very kind of your doctor to give you an early u/s so that your DH may be present, but try not to be too disappointed of they don't.

March 31st, 2012, 07:53 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Its definately worth asking but Michelle is totally right...we use the term "gender scan" a lot around here but truthfully, that's not really what it is. It's a baseline anatomy scan to check out all the important anatomy measurements and parts and the fact that they are able to determine gender at that point is just a fun bonus. So for us parents, that's the highlight of the appt and the main reason we look forward to it but to the dr/ultrasound tech, it's really an insignificant detail that they dont really need.

That being said, it is possible that if you explain your situation, the dr. may be willing to throw in an extra scan to see if the tech can tell you boy or girl...espicially if you have a pretty good relationship with him or her. It would only take a few minutes so maybe they'd be willing to do it.

One of my pregnancies the doctor did the anatomy scans routinely at 16 weeks but every other pregnancy the provider has wanted moms to be somewhere between 18 and 20.

If you don't mind shelling out the hundred bucks or so, you could always call an elective ultrasound place near you (just google them) and they could do it....and you should be far enough along at 15 weeks....

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
April 1st, 2012, 02:18 AM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
mine won't but we are mlitary and my ob office sucks. they are scheduling my u/s for 22 weeks and my husband will be in germany then. they wouldn't even do it two weeks earlier (at 20 weeks which i thought was normal anyway?!) so he could be there. i hope it works out for you, that is a lot to deal with while you're pregnant

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

April 1st, 2012, 08:14 AM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
I really kind of doubt it. For those same reasons the other ladies said - I mean, you may get lucky - it totally depends on your office especially if they own their own machine. But, those offices that do own their own machine often don't have top of the line one that can see as clearly as the newer ones and might not be able to see that kind of detail.

April 1st, 2012, 08:35 AM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
Oh! If you aren't able to find out the gender while you are together, you could have the dr. or tech write it down twice for you - putting each one in an envelope and you could mail one to him. Then, on the phone you could read it at the same time!

April 1st, 2012, 01:28 PM
Frugile Wife
Send a message via Yahoo to jennylynnf
you can go to the er together, claim your cramping and bleeding :$ and they will do an u/s to make sure the baby is ok. Hey, if it was my family I would do what I had to......... just saying. and then when they look you can ask if they can tell boy or girl bc your about to be away from your hubby for awhile and you wont be able to find out together if you dont find out now. ?

Jessica Wearing Her SQUISHY BUM'S Cloth Diaper made by mommy
Facebook.com/Squishybums
April 1st, 2012, 03:50 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry about your DH losing his job and all of this additional stress! You might as well ask your doctor if they would be willing to do an early u/s for you. If not then i would try to find a place that would do an elective u/s.

April 1st, 2012, 08:46 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
jennylynf- I am cracking up at that suggestion. My sister did exactly that! Not because her hubby was moving away but b/c she was too impatient to wait. The funniest part was that the tech did indeed do an ultrasound but would barely even show her the screen. When she asked boy or girl, he told her that she was there to make sure baby was okay, not to get a gender determination. He then told her that far too many women come in claiming problems to get a gender scan and so they don't even look at gender for an ER visit. My sister was totally crushed!!!! She had a friend who worked in the hospial as a nurse and her friend reviewed the U/s the next day but couldn't make a guess. The tech was totally on to my sister!
amazing_love likes this.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
April 2nd, 2012, 09:54 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just want to throw out there that the place where I'm getting my elective ultrasound would not do it before 17 weeks. I'm sure every place is different but keep that in mind too if you decide to go that route. I know I was a bit disappointed I couldn't get scheduled for 16 weeks, but I'm still happy that I get to go before Easter!

Good luck, I hope everything works out for you and your family. You are in my T&Ps.

April 2nd, 2012, 12:28 PM
morethanamom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would ask the doctors, but they might not.

Is there a way you could sell some things so that he could fly home for the ultrasound? I've joined a couple facebook yard sale pages and have made a few hundred dollars selling the girls' outgrown toys, clothes, and some household items we no longer use.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search