Did you get...

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2012, 01:26 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
a flu shot this year? My dr told me he wanted me to get one and I've had every intention on going and getting one, but I just never have yet. We are going on a cruise in 12 more days, so I'm really debating on if I should run a get one before the trip. Have you guys gotten one? Will you get one?

April 1st, 2012, 01:34 PM
Kris2you's Avatar Live-Laugh-Love
Send a message via MSN to Kris2you Send a message via Yahoo to Kris2you
I actually got mine back in Sept/Oct before I found out I was pregnant.
April 1st, 2012, 02:25 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No I will not be getting one.

I even feel weird about giving my kids the flu vax, but it is required for them to attend school - sigh...

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 1st, 2012, 03:20 PM
YumPickles's Avatar Veteran
I don't get them, and I don't like my son getting them. Years ago when I needed to get the flu shot for work (I worked in a medical clinic) I always got sicker from the shot than I would have from the flu.

Even without the sickness I get, there is a lot of controversy about the effectiveness and safety of flu vaccines. Detractors make a lot of compelling arguments, and I would personally rather risk a few days of sick over the potential side effects.

April 1st, 2012, 03:36 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No I won't be getting one for me or my son.

April 1st, 2012, 03:44 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
See I too have decided against getting one for my kids and usually I don't get one for myself, but my OB was really pushing it, so I was kinda on the fence about it. But it does make me feel better hearing that some of you have decided against getting one also

April 1st, 2012, 04:13 PM
YumPickles's Avatar Veteran
I think that is because they fear a high fever, which can mess things up. But as long as you can keep a fever down with tylenol and cool baths, I think you would be okay

April 1st, 2012, 04:18 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I won't be getting one. I don't get them for my children either.

April 1st, 2012, 04:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I got my first one when I was pregnant last time so now I get them. My OB was adament aboutt me getting on and I'm glad I did. I really think having the antibodies in my system before nursing is the reason I have a really healthy child!!

The flu can be really bad when you are pregnant so I'd rather get the shot and risk just having mild symptoms if I actually got it then really getting the flu pregnant. Just my opinion. I'll be getting one again this year.

I wouldn't worry about getting one now (to answer question) because flu season is typically over by end of March.

April 1st, 2012, 04:30 PM
2Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
I didn't and don't plan to get one and my sons didn't get my sons it either
April 1st, 2012, 07:45 PM
Sagga02's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sagga02 Send a message via MSN to Sagga02 Send a message via Yahoo to Sagga02
I don't get them as i am allergic to egg. My son does not get one for the same reason. My DH gets them for work most yrs and without fail he gets extremely ill from them for 3-4 days. He didn't end up getting one this past yr.

www.etsy.com/shop/sagga02
April 1st, 2012, 11:02 PM
Starstrydergrrl's Avatar Super Mommy
None here either, my doc warned against it. He says that people forget that they technically give you the virus to stimulate your body in fighting it. But sometimes it comes with high fever and you get sick anyway, so a no go for us.

Kenny won't either and luckily for us the preschool doesn't require it, they want an immune booster syrup administered instead.

April 1st, 2012, 11:04 PM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my kids and husband are required to get them (military) and i usually get one because i was doing home daycare until late last year. i got one in november just because everyone else in the family did and i've never had any adverse effects from it. as i understand it, you shouldn't become ill from the shot, but may from the nasal spray, as it uses a live virus.

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

April 2nd, 2012, 06:25 AM
nroundtr's Avatar Veteran
I get the shots as I'm on an immune-system-suppressing drug for treatment of a chronic illness and I get every cold that goes around the office...I just want to avoid being sick!

April 2nd, 2012, 06:28 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No shots for me or the kids.

You do not HAVE to get any shots for school, they have to have a waiver for you to sign. Also I'd be ****** if the military, which is a JOB, is going to tell me what to shoot up my family with.

April 2nd, 2012, 07:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I always get them and my kids are all vaccinated as well and guess what..nobodies dead from them! I hate the assumption that vaccine's arent safe..You girls are good at posting controversial topics in here..LOL..I thought we were staying away from that.LMAO

April 2nd, 2012, 07:18 AM
Veteran
I got mine around Nov
April 2nd, 2012, 09:46 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was sick with the H1N1 when i was pregnant with DS so i figure if i got through that then i can get through the regular flu too if it happens. My doctor pushed me to get the shot but i got sick before it was available (i wasn't planning to get it regardless). The birthing center doesn't push me to get anything.. its actually kinda funny to me how they leave everything 100% up to you. Not used to that.

April 2nd, 2012, 09:50 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got the flu a few years ago and was out of work for a whole week. Decided to get my flu shot every year after and have been fine This past season I got it in October, which was well before getting pregnant. Pregnancy or not though I think I'll be getting it in October every year just so I don't have to go through being sick like that again.

April 2nd, 2012, 09:58 AM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
I've been trying to kick the flu for 7 days now and.... I wish I would have gotten a flu shot.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search