Will our kid hate us for this later?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RunningMommyTo5
  • 2 Post By Repti.Mom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2012, 05:42 PM
Buttercups's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
William has been a widely used name on both sides of our family for many generations. Seriously there's at least 10 including my dad. We're on team green but the the only boy name we can halfway agree on is William Augustus. Here's the kicker...we'd call him "Gus."

I think it's adorable, but is he going to hate that in 10 or 20 years? I wish I knew an adult who went by Gus who could share whether or not he's ok with his name.

April 2nd, 2012, 06:06 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I know a couple of Gus's and I think they're comfortable with it. I personally love William, and the great thing is that if he wants to, he can always be called William in his career or professional circle, school, or whatever, and still be Gus with his family.

My dad was always (still is) Tommy with his family, but always goes by Tom as his "adult" name at work. Also, my oldest is named Thomas after my dad, and we also call him Tommy right now. But, I also call him Thomas a good bit, so he can have the option of a more "adult" name if he wants it later.

I think that if that is the name that you've agreed on, then use it. He'll have options, William, Will, Bill, whatever, for later in his adult life if he wants them!
YumPickles likes this.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

April 2nd, 2012, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningMommyTo3 View Post
I think that if that is the name that you've agreed on, then use it. He'll have options, William, Will, Bill, whatever, for later in his adult life if he wants them!
That's exactly what I was thinking, but I wanted to get a variety of opinions from people who aren't afraid to hurt our feelings!
Most people I've told in person say "aww! That's cute!" but I wonder if they are just saying that.

April 2nd, 2012, 07:07 PM
YumPickles's Avatar Veteran
I think Gus sounds just fine! Besides, if he decides he doesn't like it later he can choose to go by any off the William nick names or make a different one from Augustus.

It really is a perfect combination of names, something unusual and unique along with something traditional. I don't think he would hate you later, you are giving him great options!

April 2nd, 2012, 07:10 PM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A girl from my son's PR has an older child named Gus. I think it's cute.

April 2nd, 2012, 07:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it's cute I've always thought the name August is kind of cool, with Gus as a possible nickname. And in this day and age, pretty much anything goes anyway.

My Ovulation Chart
April 2nd, 2012, 08:01 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's ok. Like others said he can go by Will if he chooses to later.

When I read this thread the first thing that came to mind was "Cinderelly, Cinderelly, night and day, and Cinderelly...." lol

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
April 3rd, 2012, 05:47 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm from PA, and every time I hear the name Gus I think of "the second famous groundhog." Apparently in PA Gus the Groundhog is the scratch off lottery spokesperson

Little critters aside, I think it's a cute nickname!

April 3rd, 2012, 06:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
William is also a family name in my family and I have a cousin that goes by Bill..my grandpa went by bill..and my mom's cousin was also named william and goes by bill..Honestly its a common name but in my personal opinion a timeless classic and one that demands respect..LOL..He might have that going for him

April 3rd, 2012, 07:07 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My middle son is Robert JR. Our last name is Hall according to stats, don't know how accurate they are, there are near 9,000 people with the exact same name in the US. He goes by RJ and I call my husband Rob. I don't think any kid is going to hate you for their name, well unless it's Apple or Bear Blu and you spit in his mouth.

April 3rd, 2012, 07:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I definitely agree that if he chooses to not go by Gus outside the family he would have multiple other options to pick from with this name.

I know a guy names Gary who actually prefers to go by Gus. That is what everyone knows him by. He likes it.

April 3rd, 2012, 08:08 AM
Super Mommy
I like it. I like traditional names, but I feel like if one name is a little different (btw, Augustus isn't soo out there) it's nice if there is a more conventional name so the child can have the option.

Like, if you are going to name your son Hurricane or something, it's only fair to make the middle name John or Paul or something. ;-)
April 3rd, 2012, 08:21 AM
Veteran
I like William a lot. I think with a not so traditional name like Augustus, it will go great. I like the nickname Gus too. I do though think about the mouse from Cinderella, but that's just b/c I've watched that movie nine million times with my daughters. If you like it then go with it!
April 4th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the opinions, ladies! Still gotta convince Hubs. Maybe I'll let him read this.

April 11th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercups View Post
William has been a widely used name on both sides of our family for many generations. Seriously there's at least 10 including my dad. We're on team green but the the only boy name we can halfway agree on is William Augustus. Here's the kicker...we'd call him "Gus."

I think it's adorable, but is he going to hate that in 10 or 20 years? I wish I knew an adult who went by Gus who could share whether or not he's ok with his name.
I don't think so. I have an Uncle Gus. It's not his birth name, the nickname suites him well and I've never had the impression he dislikes it. Besides, if your Gus hates his name, he can change it to Will or William when he goes to college or graduates from college.
April 12th, 2012, 12:09 PM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm bad at this question because I am not a big fan of nicknames, mainly because my name is Danielle, but ever since I was born my entire family has called me Dani. As I got older, transitioning to Danielle was and still is a pain. DH, my close friends and family call me Dani, but professionally I go by Danielle. I love (both) of my names, but sometimes it can be really annoying transitioning between the two!

All in all, though, it is a cute name! I don't really think anyone else's opinions matter but you and DH!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

April 12th, 2012, 03:35 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think he will have a lot of options if he ends up not liking the name Gus. I completely agree that its up to you and your DH! If others don't like it then too bad! It seems impossible to really know whether our kids will like their name as an adult. I've wondered the same thing but ultimately since you never know you just gotta go with whatever you like best!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search