BTDT Moms- Who will watch your kid(s) while you are having the baby?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
3Sapphires post got me thinking about this. We live about 15 minutes from DHs parents and I guess they are who we plan on watching our son when we go to the hospital (my family live 450 miles away). However, they live 15 minutes in the OPPOSITE direction of the hospital, and both MIL and FIL work full time five days a week. So I'm not even sure if I would go into labor on, say, a Tuesday night that MIL would be able to get off work the next day to watch DS.

I do have an aunt who lives right in our small town. I could ask her to watch him until MIL is available. But she tends to be very scheduled (her 2 kids are in middle school and high school) and I'm not sure if she would really relish such a disruption in her life. I also have 2 cousins who live within 10-15 minutes of us but they have 4 and 5 kids of their own, and also live in the opposite direction of the hospital. I do have friends who also live near us, but they all have a slew of their own children and I just hate to ask.

It's times like this that I really wish I lived by my mom and sister. It would just make everything easier. It's hard enough for me to find someone to watch DS during my doctor appointments, much less keep him overnight 2 nights while I'm in the hospital.

My Ovulation Chart
April 4th, 2012, 09:39 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have some good friends who are going to keep Keira overnight. We have a slew of people who have offered up to help with her since all of our family is out of town so I'm not too worried about it.

I figure if I go into labor during the day, she is allowed at the hospital so she can hang out with us until someone can pick her up. I don't mind if she is there while we are in L&D, I just don't want her there while I deliver or seeing procedural stuff so it doesn't scare her!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

April 4th, 2012, 10:10 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As of now, the plan is for MIL to come down, but I really don't know what is going to happen. WE live 2 hours from them. I'm not sure if one of them is going to stay here to keep Adam in school, or if they are going back to their place because of their dog.

If they go home, then we need to figure out what to do with the dogs. I really don't know.

We don't really have any great friends here, and everyone we have met though the church works for the school district.

My mom talked about flying in (the live about 10 hours from us), and the closest airport she could fly into is 2 hours away. I'm not going to want Mike to drive out there to get her, come back and get me then drive the 2 hours to the hospital...

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 4th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Starstrydergrrl's Avatar Super Mommy
Wow, I hadn't even thought of that yet...my sis in law will at that point be 10 minutes away from us and I think she would take Kenny. I'll be calling in her godmother duties lol.

April 4th, 2012, 10:25 AM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
I think it's best to have a loooong list of people who are willing. With my 2nd I called through every.single.person. on that list before finding someone - the one person I really didn't want to bother because she had a 2 week old baby and 2 yr old! I was in LABOR and could hardly talk on the phone and some of these people were like.... "oh, I've got a test tomorrow and I really need to make sure and get some good sleep...." and then proceeded to tell me all about it. I was like SHUT UP already and say no so I can move on!!!
April 4th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know yet. Our oldest dd is 15; but I still don't want her babysitting overnight. My MIL doesn't live far from us but she likes to drink, and I can't trust that she will not drink while watching the kids. We have friends but they have families of their own and I would hate to ask them as well. At this point I really don't know yet. My mother and sister do not live near me either unfortunately.

April 4th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Brannyt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm actually stressing about this! We're a military family, and our parents live 1700 miles away. I don't want family coming out this time until the baby is a couple weeks old because I didn't feel as though we had time to bond as a new family with DD as my IL's arrived the day I got discharged from the hospital. Plus, I think they expect to stay in our home this time. I might see if a friend can watch Brynlee and then DH will come home nights and stay. I hope to VBAC this time, so crossing my fingers I'm not in the hospital longer than a couple days anyway!

LOVE my siggy, thank you Meganpixel!!!!!!
April 4th, 2012, 04:43 PM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom and aunt live 40 minutes away. They're the closest, and one of them will watch him when the time comes. If, for some reason, they absolutely can't, or we need them NOW and they're not available I have a pretty big list of friends who would watch him for a couple of hours until they become available.

April 4th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom lives in upstate NY, but is flying in a week or so before D-day. I am hoping she is here in time.
April 4th, 2012, 04:50 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Funny, Tiffany just posted a topic asking this same question I commented on that one already but yes i'm stressed about it. We have some family here but haven't decided what will work out or how to go about figuring out who will watch DS if i happen to go into labor at different times of the day.

April 4th, 2012, 04:52 PM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh, P.S.- I'm not driving him anywhere. They can come here to help. If your family is only 15 minutes away, I'm sure one of them will be able to make the short trip to pick up your son- even if you have to take him to the hospital with you and have them meet you there.

April 4th, 2012, 06:02 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sure MIL and FIL will watch them overnight. I want DH to stay with me in the hospital. My parents will probably make it up for the birth but they will have to go back home after the baby is born because they will have to work, and they live a couple hours away. MIL and FIL live about a mile away from us, so we will drop the kids off on our way to the hospital. They will bring them to the hospital to visit also, so I won't have to miss my babies the whole time I'm in the hospital

April 4th, 2012, 07:45 PM
2Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
Planning a home birth and if all goes as planned the kids will just be over at our neighbors house or down the street and my sil's. If my mom is still living with us then she will probably keep them occupied if need be. I also have a friend across town that would be more than happy to watch them for me. Last would be my fil who is about 40mins away but he would drop anything and come asap if he is needed.
April 4th, 2012, 09:58 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Probably just my oldest two children who will be 17 and 15 at the time. This will be the first time we've had a baby where we didn't have to call someone to come over and I"m looking forward to that.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
April 5th, 2012, 06:57 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
as of now our plan is to have MIL come down, she lives about 2 hours from us. Then our drive to the hospital is about 2 hours.

I'm not exactly sure what we are going to be doing, we've got dogs, that need to go out at least every 12 hours, so if they stay here, I'd expect they would bring their dog, which would garentee my house would be in ruin when we got back.

Or if they take the kids home, DH will have to make sure he is home in a reasonable amount of time to let them out.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 5th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My dad and stepmom live two streets over so they can take her when I go into labor. My mom will probably take her for the two nights and I'll have arrangements with daycare that she go those two days (they are pretty good about that stuff).

If I'm induced I'll just work it out that she goes to daycare that day and then one of my parents can pick her up. She's only ever spent the night at my moms house so who knows. I may ask my sister to keep her overnight because she is super close to her cousins and is comfortable at their house (she lives 4 houses down from us). Plus they all go to the same daycare so she could take her for me too.

DH will stay in the hospital for those two nights with me. It'll be good bonding for us and the new baby before bringing him/her home to everyone else

April 5th, 2012, 08:22 AM
lovemyleah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Probably one of my sisters will stay at my house or take Leah to hers. I don't want to disrupt her routine much, meaning that if it's a week day, I will have my sister take her to normal babysitters houses or whatnot. My mom is 80 and not in shape to care for Leah, and I'm not sure I want Leah staying with ILs. I would much rather keep Leah at home, if possible, but my sister has a dog so that might be tougher for her.

April 5th, 2012, 10:33 AM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
this is the first time i have lived near my parents in 9 years so i'm hoping one of them will do it. we are a military family and uave always lived housands of miles away before! last baby i had no choice but to fly mil over to help. she stayed 6 weeks after baby was born and it was disasterous for my mental health and almost my marriage. never again lol. i am so thankful to have people nearby to help out this time!

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

April 5th, 2012, 10:51 AM
morethanamom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parents will likely watch them. That's the plan as of right now. IF for some reason we have to rush to the hospital and take them with us, then they'll meet us there. I think my stepfather will probably take the girls home while my mom hangs out at the hospital a bit.

If it's not a rush situation, then we'll have stepfather come get them from here and my mom will meet us at the hospital.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search