Ugh- nervous. Moms with dopplers, help?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MJTKNT
  • 1 Post By Blessed Mommy Of 5

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2012, 03:46 PM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ooookay, I finally bought a doppler.

Last week we were on vacation in FL. We went out deep sea fishing quite a bit, and I didn't think anything about how bumpy it was until I came back in and googled it...and everything says NOT to go on bumpy boat rides b/c it can cause placental abruptions if you hit a wave hard too hard.

Well, that obviously didn't happen, but on the last day we did hit a big wave wrong and it knocked me hard...I was standing letting a line out when we hit and it literally threw me off my feet and slammed me into the side of the boat. I saw stars and lost my breath for a few seconds, and really think I may have had a concussion from it- I was nauseous all of a sudden, really tired, bad headache, foggy, more emotional... typical concussion symptoms. Anyway, still never had any bleeding, but being concerned, plunged and bought a doppler because I would have really loved to have one that night to put my mind at ease.

We've been back about five days now, and it just came. I can't find anything that makes it read above 87. I put it right over my heart and that's what it's picking me up at. Is it hard for you guys to find the heartbeat now? I would think at nearly 16 weeks (based on LMP-- closer to 15 based on u/s), I'd be able to pick it right up. I have my ~16 week appt tomorrow, so I'm not going to rush and freak out and call anyone, but I'm just wondering if I'm not doing something right. I bought the sonoline b, if that helps anyone give me tips.

Since that happened, and I didn't have any bleeding, cramping, etc. I had let it go and thought everything was okay. Of course, I order this darn thing to put my mind at ease, and now I feel like a nervous wreck.

April 4th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Veteran
I would guess nothing is wrong. There could be a number of reasons you're not picking up the heartbeat. It could be you are looking in the wrong place, your placenta could be in the way, there might not be enough lube on the doppler, or it even could be that the doppler or its batteries might be broken or buggy. I'm glad you have an appointment tomorrow though - that's the easiest way to relieve your mind.

Sorry to hear about the concussion symptoms. I've had a few in my time (too much skiing without a helmet) and it really sucks to feel not yourself. Good luck tomorrow!
April 4th, 2012, 04:21 PM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Okay, well, false alarm! I just tried it again and heard the little bugger coming in steadily at 135-145. It was VERY faint compared to the HB's I was hearing even with the volume all the way up (which I'm sure were my own and placenta), so now I know I have to listen REALLY hard to hear it.
amazing_love likes this.

Last edited by MJTKNT; April 4th, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
April 4th, 2012, 05:51 PM
YumPickles's Avatar Veteran
I'm glad you found your baby! I have the same doppler and still can't find the heartbeat, just my own. I'm glad you found your baby! I posted anyhow in case someone has the same question

April 4th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So sorry about the concussion symptoms! I am so happy you were able to find the baby's heartbeat!! You will probably find it much easier once getting used to finding it, I know I did
nroundtr likes this.

April 4th, 2012, 06:18 PM
2Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
glad you found babies heartbeat
April 5th, 2012, 05:28 AM
Regular
I've had my doppler for over 3 weeks and still can't find my baby's heartbeat. I only allow myself to try every now and then because it stresses me out. I just remind myself that if I didn't own a doppler then I would just have to trust that everything is okay, so that's how I'm acting. I keep thinking mine is just harder to find than others.
April 5th, 2012, 08:17 AM
nroundtr's Avatar Veteran
I've had ours since mid February and I've gotten so that I can find the heartbeat almost immediately. That's not to say there aren't exceptions...occasionally I won't find it at all, or I'll only hear it for a second before baby moves somewhere else, but I'd say I can find it 90% of the time now. It took a lot of practice and patience, though!

April 5th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Moldovandish's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you found it! It took me a bit to figure out exactly where to look - the baby's way lower than where I thought it would be LOL On some days the baby's heartbeat definitely comes in very faint, but on others it's pretty clear. I think it really depends on the positioning of everything.
I have a friend who bought the sonoline b at my recommendation and was ready to return it as she couldn't find anything for days, but then all of a sudden she did. I told her to lay flat on her back and use lots of gel. So now she finds it.

Baby Caleb - born on Sept. 15, 11.31 pm, 8 lb. 15 oz.
April 5th, 2012, 08:39 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
glad you found it!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search