Sleeping positions

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Kasey36's Avatar Mommy of 2 soon :)
Does anybody lay on their backs? I read it was not safe? I find being on my right side does not feel very good but laying on my left side feels ok, what about you guys?

April 5th, 2012, 06:54 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am constantly finding myself laying on my stomach, and my back is never happy about it.

come to think of it, my bed and I are not on good terms, I'm not sure why I continue a relationship with it. haha!

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 5th, 2012, 06:57 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I'm not sleeping very comfortably, either. I'm still trying to use pillows to sleep on my stomach, but without the pillows to make a little room for my stomach, it's uncomfortable. I hate laying on my side, but I try to get comfortable on my left side. It's the "recommended" sleeping position while pregnant, so I try. But when it comes down to it, I toss and turn until I'm comfortable and then crash.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

April 5th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I mostly sleep on my left side. But I roll over throughout the night so maybe a small percentage of sleeping is spent on my right side. I have never slept on my back, it just isn't comfortable. I always wondered how DH does it (he sleeps on his back often).

When I'm not pregnant my favorite sleeping position is on my stomach with one leg upwards (lol, if that makes sense).

April 5th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Kasey36's Avatar Mommy of 2 soon :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed Mommy Of 5 View Post
I mostly sleep on my left side. But I roll over throughout the night so maybe a small percentage of sleeping is spent on my right side. I have never slept on my back, it just isn't comfortable. I always wondered how DH does it (he sleeps on his back often).

When I'm not pregnant my favorite sleeping position is on my stomach with one leg upwards (lol, if that makes sense).

Lol Yes that makes sense b/c that's my fav too when I am not pregnant!

April 5th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Veteran
I'm not sleeping well at all. I've been trying to sleep on my left side with pillows in between my legs and under my stomach, but it just isn't working. The couple of times this week and last that I've tried sleeping on my back I feel very short of breath. My stomach is too big to sleep on it, so basically I pretty much toss and turn all night long. Doesn't make for very good work days.
April 5th, 2012, 07:58 AM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I've actually resorted to the couch because I couldn't get comfortable in my bed. I will start out on my left side, then roll over to my right, then after getting up to use the bathroom I will switch to the other end of the couch and lay on my left then my right. Eventually at some point I will be on my back because my hips just can't take anymore pressure from laying on them all the time. I'm about to give up!!!

April 5th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am trying to stay on my side with pillows behind me. I tend to roll back onto the pillow and it keeps me sort of on my side.
Angela; Mom to S,K,R,J,E,C,N and #8 coming soon (ish).

April 5th, 2012, 08:09 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I pretty much sleep in whatever position is most comfortable for me. I used to think i had to sleep on my side no other options but even when i was full term with my son i'd wake up on my stomach (and my stomach would hurt because of it!) I sleep better on my stomach or back, go figure. I talked to my midwife about it and she said not to worry too much. She said if your body is comfortable that's a good sign and that if i want to sleep on my back then to put a pillow under me on one side so i wasn't completely flat. I feel better after that. I usually go to sleep half on my stomach and half on my side and then wake up however i wake up.

April 5th, 2012, 08:49 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing_love View Post
. I usually go to sleep half on my stomach and half on my side and then wake up however i wake up.
That's what I've been doing, too, LOL! My MW also told me when I was pregnant with my oldest to not stress over how you sleep. Use pillows, get comfortable, and get some sleep was her advice.
amazing_love likes this.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

April 5th, 2012, 09:06 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't been sleeping well period. I just can't seem to get comfy no matter what way I lay. I am a stomach sleeper, but that is starting to get uncomfortable, so I'm sort of halfway on my stomach and halfway on my right side lately.

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

April 5th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've gotten used to sleeping on my sides now but I will find myself waking up on my back sometimes, probably because I'm short of breath and it wakes me up. I just make sure to use my body pillow and bunch it up under my belly when I sleep on my side, it feels better that way.

I had huge hip pain issues in my third trimester last time but i have a new bed (memory foam) and I hope I don't have that happen again. It was so painful!!

I busted out my pregancy pillow but can't get comfortable with it this time around. I may end up with my body pillow the whole time!

April 5th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Regular
I'm still sleeping on my stomach quite often. But, I toss and turn a lot throughout the night. I actually like sleeping on my back, but it will get uncomfortable the bigger I get, for sure. My mom bought me a body pillow and she is bringing it to me this weekend. So, I'll start using that to try and get more comfortable.
April 5th, 2012, 09:19 AM
InnocentDevil's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm normally a belly sleeper, but that's ending quick. The past few nights, I've kinda been on my belly AND side, but when I wake up, I'm alwys sprawled all over the bed while lying on my back.

I've never heard of NOT sleeping on your back while pregnant. I do know that lying on your left side increases blood flow to the baby.

April 5th, 2012, 09:20 AM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i hate sleeping on my back so i usually try to start off going to sleep on my side. i often wake up on my stomach though. later in my last pregnancy i had to sleep sitting up on lots of pillows because of bad heartburn. i haven't reached that stage yet, thankfully!

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

April 5th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I cannot get comfortable at all either. I try to prop myself up with pillows n stuff so I'm on my side and either angled downward or have pillows behind so I am more on my back. This lack of sleep stinks right now though. lol

April 5th, 2012, 04:29 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnocentDevil View Post
I'm normally a belly sleeper, but that's ending quick. The past few nights, I've kinda been on my belly AND side, but when I wake up, I'm alwys sprawled all over the bed while lying on my back.

I've never heard of NOT sleeping on your back while pregnant. I do know that lying on your left side increases blood flow to the baby.
Just like laying on your side increases blood flow, laying on your back decreases it. That's the reason they don't recommend it. I'm not super strict about it though, just aware.

April 5th, 2012, 07:54 PM
InnocentDevil's Avatar Super Mommy
It makes sense, but once I'm asleep I can't control what happens. LOL.
amazing_love likes this.

April 6th, 2012, 07:10 AM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm still sleeping on my tummy but also in my arm. I put my arm under my hip I guess it gives more room for the tummy. Later on I do the pillow between the knees and under my belly to hold it up so my back doesn't twist out of wack.

April 6th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Risa's Avatar Veteran
My doctor said its okay to sleep on your stomach as long as it is comfortable, and to stop sleeping on your back at 20 weeks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search