Baby shower - to register or not?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By 3Sapphires
  • 1 Post By nroundtr

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Veteran
This is our first baby, and my SIL and a good friend have asked to host a shower for us. Yay! (I hope there's cake!)

But now I wonder if I should try to put together a registry? On one hand, it feels awfully like asking people to buy stuff for us and the baby, which I don't like. But on the other hand, it will help folks who want to get something but have no idea what to get.

What do you think? Should I start a registry? And if so, where? My SIL did one on Amazon for her wedding, but then all the gifts were just sent directly to her house and we never really got to see them...
April 5th, 2012, 01:17 PM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you feel that way, register but don't announce it. Let those hosting the party know where you are registered so guests who ask about it can be informed, but it's not glaring them in the face on an invite that says, "WE'RE REGISTERED AT BRU!"

April 5th, 2012, 01:18 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I won't hurt, but people will buy what they want anyway.

At least in my experience. I only had one baby shower, it was for my first, I registered for things I really needed, nothing was terribly extravagant or weird. But only one person shopped off my registry and got me a diaper pail.

Everything Else I got was clothes, which I also needed some of, but we had so much that I couldn't return due to no tags or receipts that most of it didn't get worn.

But Nate sure had a lot of nice things passed down! haha!

I say go for the registry, but understand people will do what they want anyway
bettyearl and YumPickles like this.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 5th, 2012, 01:20 PM
InnocentDevil's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't see anything wrong with having a registry. I had one with my shower and I'm undecided about this one. I had a shower for my daughter and my sis is throwing one for this baby as well.

If you think having a registry is like asking for gifts, isnt that essentially the same thing as having a shower?? I see nothing wrong with either of them.

April 5th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Sagga02's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sagga02 Send a message via MSN to Sagga02 Send a message via Yahoo to Sagga02
I did register for my first and i actually got a ton of things from it. Some family members went in together and got the bigger stuff but i made sure i had tons of smaller, cheaper things also so all price ranges were covered. You will get people who buy whatever they want or like, sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes bad. I would register. Its fun and helps YOU get an idea of what you might want/like. If you don't get it, no loss but your time registering I think places like target and walmart are good places to do it at as there are many options and MOST people shop there. If you did it at say BRU, not everyone will go there JUST to get you a gift esp if they don't have children. Just my 2 cents worth

www.etsy.com/shop/sagga02
April 5th, 2012, 01:50 PM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
I think registering is really a nice thing to do for people who don't know you very well but would still like to get something meaningful and useful. It helps them know what you need without them having to try and ask the right questions and not sound too funny doing it.

But, there are a lot of people who just don't even bother with the registry. If there is something very important to you that is expensive and you need to buy, I've seen a "________ tree" at the shower. Like if you were doing cloth diapers and needed help with the start-up costs, there could be a little branch of a tree there where people could either hang their money on all cute or just even an envelope for the cause that was available for people to add to at the shower. People really like to feel their gift is going to be used and having a cause to support lets them know you will for sure need it.
April 5th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
what i am doing is telling people that i have a registry but i need everything some people like it that i have a registry so that they can get an idea of what i like before they buy things that i may not like.

April 5th, 2012, 03:32 PM
nroundtr's Avatar Veteran
I definitely recommend it since you're a FTM. I am too and we just did our registries at BRU and Target last week. It was good to help me see what we will need for our baby - and to get an idea of the cost of items. After registering, I was able to better articulate what items are a "must-have" and what items are a "just-want." Of course since I am a FTM, the things I want this time will be based on other's recommendations and I may/may not actually need/want what I think I need/want, but at least it's a place to start!
bettyearl likes this.

April 5th, 2012, 04:55 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd make one. I don't think its rude at all. IMO its helpful to see what the person needs. If i go to a shower and they don't have a registry then i always ask what stuff they need. Also i sometimes look at a registry to see what kind of stuff is on there and then get something similar to it but not identical. Be prepared that most people will get you whatever they want and not even look at the registry, but i still feel its worth it especially since this is your first baby

April 5th, 2012, 04:57 PM
YumPickles's Avatar Veteran
I registered with our first, but only one or two people shopped off it. I ended up with a -ton- of handmade blankets, which were sweet and I loved them, but we had way too many! I think it was 15-20 of them. We never used half of them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search