Name Spellings

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2012, 07:17 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are like 99% set on naming this baby Kynlee but we haven't decided on spelling yet. Her name will likely be Kynlee Grace ( a name we have had picked out since DD was a baby, and we just recently solidified that we are still going to use the mn Grace afterall ).

I like to go with traditional spellings on names to make things easier. However, the traditional spelling is Kinley and that is actually the male version of the name.

Then, I feel like Kynlee looks more feminine, but worry about it being a "trendy" spelling, KWIM? I'm kind of torn and DH hasn't said yet if he has a preference but usually he doesn't care either way. His dad suggested we spell it Kinley, and even though I usually don't take opinions into consideration, he may have a point on the "ease of spelling" for other people and for her later in life.

I'm just curious what the outiside view is (not on the name itself, but on each of the spellings)

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

April 7th, 2012, 07:48 AM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
Kinlay Kinlee ? Kinli, Kynli, Kinlie, Kinlii? I know what you mean about the trendy "y" in there - it would be probably something I'd not do because my husband is bugged by it. I don't know, I think it's all a matter of what you like! It's a lovely name!
April 7th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Sprinkle 2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think its a really pretty name. I think i like the looks of Kynlee better, but realize that Kinley may be easier to spell and more traditional.
I think that names have gotten so different and there is such a broad spectrum, that anything goes nowadays. I would just choose what you and your husband like best.

April 7th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Super Mommy
Hmmm, Kynlee does look more feminine... I know you were only asking about those two spellings, but at first I thought you were looking for additional spellings and my mind went straight to Kinleigh.
April 7th, 2012, 08:34 AM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Personally I would go with Kinley. I hope you are not offended when I say Kynlee looks trendy to me! People won't even take any consideration into "Kinley" being a boy spelling (it doesn't even really sound like a boy name to me).

April 7th, 2012, 08:44 AM
morethanamom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think Kinlee is cute, but the "male" version Kinley looks feminine to me too.

April 7th, 2012, 09:11 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I know a girl and they spell hers Kenley. I like it....if you want it to look definitely feminine, maybe Kenleigh or Kinleigh? I like Kynlee, too, though, but I do think she'll have to correct most people, but I don't think it'll be a huge bother. It's probably one of those names that most people will ask to verify the spelling when she says it anyway, KWIM???

We went through the same debate with Bailey. I kinda liked Bayleigh, but DH insisted on the traditional spelling. I agreed. I got the name I really wanted, so I compromised on the spelling (although I could've gotten my way if I really pushed, LOL). Anyway DH goes by his middle name and got so tired of having to tell people what he went by that he didn't want our children to have the same sort of frustration. I personally don't think it's a big deal at all.

I like the name and whichever spelling you decide on! And, of course I love Grace, as that's what we had picked out for Bailey's MN, too!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

April 7th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I prefer Kinley, I think it looks very cute!! And it looks more professional for when she is an adult. My daughter's middle name is Jordan and until near the end we were planning on going with the spelling Jordyn....but then it started giving me the heebie-jeebies lol
April 7th, 2012, 12:00 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went to high school with a girl named Kinley - never gave it a second thought that it was a masculine version.

My name is spelled Ami - which is the masculine form of "friend" to be correct - so my french teacher told me it should have been Amie - but I told her to kiss it! hah!

I say do what you like!

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 7th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Sigyl's Avatar Veteran
Honestly, it doesn't seem to matter how you spell it because people always get it wrong!

I agree that when people hear it they will default to Kinley when writing it down. But I do like Kynlee for keeping it feminine. Though really all spellings appeal to me, it's a sweet name.

April 7th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Super Mommy
My vote is Kynlee. But they are both pretty. And I agree: People will spell it wrong no matter which way you spell it. My name is spelled traditionally and people spell it Kelley and Kellie all the time. So go with what you like. It will be pretty which ever way you go! *HUGS*
April 7th, 2012, 01:40 PM
YumPickles's Avatar Veteran
Personally I like the traditional spelling over the trendy one. I don't think Kinley looks masculine.

April 7th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Super Mommy
I have the same problem with my name. My teacher spells it wrong, my insurance spelled it wrong and so does my clinic and my friends. Lol! That being said, everyone is going to have some sort of issues with their name at some point in their lives. Go with your gut! I'd spell it Kynley (which looks masculine to me personally) if I heard it and had to write it down, so I'm not much of a help. However, I like them both. Kinley is good for an adult, but so is Kynlee.

If I had to choose, I'd go with Kynlee.

April 7th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I like Kinleigh, but may be more difficult for her to spell. Second favorite is Kynlee. It is a beautiful name either way!

April 8th, 2012, 04:56 PM
RedRose_xo's Avatar Veteran
I would go with the most traditional female spelling you can find. I think Kinley, or even Kinlee both look like girl names My concern is that people will naturally spell it Kinley, so when she has to spell it out she might have to say
"My name is Kynlee K-Y-N-L-E-E" which could get a little tiresome in the long run.
Its a lovely name though, regardless of which spelling you use

April 8th, 2012, 05:35 PM
I think I got some good info here. It seems like its pretty split on opinions so IMO in the long run it probably doesn't matter how we spell it.

My name is Danielle and I have to spell it for people all the time. We also chose the most traditional spelling for DD's name (Keira) and people botch it constantly simply because there are SO many ways to spell it!

Sooooo thanks so much for the input ladies, I really appreciate it!

April 8th, 2012, 08:35 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree completely with Krissy...I think Kinlee is adorable. Okay, so I know you were asking about the two spellings you had listed.
Honestly, I don't think it will matter. Even if Kinley is the traditional "male" spelling, I think the name itself has been sufficiently feminized that there probably aren't that many boys out there using it anyway (sort of like Bayley, Sydney, Morgan, Adrian ect...there are still a few, but most people are more likely to think girl than boy) So I think Kinley can be used equally well for a girl...So I'd say stick with whatever is YOUR favorite, espicially if DH doesn't have a preference.
It will be beautiful either way!
morethanamom4 likes this.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
April 8th, 2012, 10:56 PM
LuxRuin's Avatar Veteran
I personally love the name Kinley so much I could burst! I would spell it Kinleigh or just leave it Kinley, I would never think it to be a boys name honestly!!!!!

-Sarah

DD #1: 13yo
DS #1: 10yo
DD #2: 5 yo
DS #2: Born September 22, 2012
April 9th, 2012, 08:30 AM
nroundtr's Avatar Veteran
I also didn't think of Kinley as being a boy's name, but that being said, my dad's name is Robin and he's always had to fight the stigma of having a girl's name. Of course Robin is much more obviously a girl's name than Kinley is a boy's name. I do like the Kinleigh option some of the other women have suggested.

I also know how it is to have a name that is easy to spell but spelled many different ways. Nikki can be Nicky, Nicki, Nikky, Nickie and I've even seen Nycki. But as much as I've had to spell it for people, I honestly don't care if they get it wrong...it's more important that they call me Nikki than that they spell it right. I don't know how your daughter will feel about it, but that's my two cents worth!

April 9th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nroundtr View Post
I also didn't think of Kinley as being a boy's name, but that being said, my dad's name is Robin and he's always had to fight the stigma of having a girl's name. Of course Robin is much more obviously a girl's name than Kinley is a boy's name. I do like the Kinleigh option some of the other women have suggested.

I also know how it is to have a name that is easy to spell but spelled many different ways. Nikki can be Nicky, Nicki, Nikky, Nickie and I've even seen Nycki. But as much as I've had to spell it for people, I honestly don't care if they get it wrong...it's more important that they call me Nikki than that they spell it right. I don't know how your daughter will feel about it, but that's my two cents worth!
I totally agree with you on this. I have gone by Dani since I was born and people botch the spelling all the time... People have spelled it Danny, Danni, Danne, Dannie, and my least favorite mispselling of my name- Daniel.... That is not either Dani or Danielle! LOL So any other time I just leave it, unless they put Daniel because then I just tell them uhhhh this isn't even my name! It just reminds me of Brian/Bryan, Kelli/Kelly/Kelley, etc. Just because a name is simple and popular doesn't mean anyone knows how to spell it!

My boss's name is Caryn (Karen), and I love the way her name is spelled!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search