Home birth or non-hospital birth - Anyone considering it? **NOT a Debate**

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2012, 07:54 AM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
Just wondering who else out there is in the home birth or similar boat? I am thinking of going with a hotel birth, next to the hospital, as I live 50 minutes from the nearest medial care. I could go to a birthing center, but that is quite a bit farther away - about 2 hours.

I've never done a home birth before, but have used a certified nurse midwife and a doula before in a hospital, and that was nice, but I really would like a water birth and there are just not the facilities in the hospital here.

And actually, I think it might even be cheaper, though I'm trying not to let that have any sway in my mind. This is probably my last baby and all my other births have been great so I think there's a very good chance if my pregnancy continues low-risk that I can go forward with this plan.

I'd definitely be bringing my own sheets and seat protectors though!!!

April 7th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i really want to do a water birth but at this point i am nervous because this is my first so i dont know how labor will be. My fiance want to go to the hospital so i think that i will make a compermise that if everything goes smothly in the hospital the way i want it then next time i get a water birth lol

April 7th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Sigyl's Avatar Veteran
What exactly is a hotel birth?

April 7th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Super Mommy
Hmmm. I don't know. Would you tell the hotel you were doing this? Not criticizing- I was just wondering if it would be a liability for them if they knew.
A part of me would love to do a home birth. There is something very appealling about the idea. I'm most likely sticking with a hospital because we had a few issues in both of my previous births that were not a huge deal in the hospital but I fear could pose big problems at home.
April 7th, 2012, 08:46 AM
morethanamom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^I was thinking the same thing.

I considered a home birth but Dh is totally against it. He thinks it'll be too much mess and also we had medical issues with DD3 so he doesn't want to risk anything. I would love to give birth at home but we both need to be on board for it.

April 7th, 2012, 09:57 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would love it, however our finances, insurance and the fact the homebirth midwives are being arrested left right and center in Maryland (where I would have to go) are playing into it.

When we started looking at houses down here, I was actually looking at them from a home birth perspective, of where I would want to labor, etc.

I think it is a great idea, even if you have to do it in a hotel, I've heard that the midwives are really good about making sure there is no mess. the only thing I would think I want to do it really clean the hotel room well, bring your own blanket, and really disinfect the tub.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 7th, 2012, 12:14 PM
YumPickles's Avatar Veteran
I have a high risk pregnancy, so this isn't an option for me. I do see the appeal of it though.

If I had a normal pregnancy and lived in a nice house instead of a cramped apartment, I would really consider it, especially with a midwife present. I would not be comfortable with no medical personnel around.

April 7th, 2012, 01:27 PM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i would love a home birth. i have had fast and easy labous before and managed without pain relief so i think i would be a good candidate. BUT after i had my dd in 2009 i bled really badly and ended up having pitocin to stop it, so after that i would be very afraid to give birth if it wasn't in the hospital. it's a shame because the hospital i have to use is very strict about having an iv, pushes epidurals and has a very high c-section rate. if i could avoid going there, i would

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

April 7th, 2012, 02:28 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm delivering at a birthing center. I felt more comfortable with this than at home for many reasons. The center seems easier in many ways.. i don't have to worry about messes at home, they have a very nice birthing tub and everything we need there, and the hospital is right across the street just in case. I'm one who wouldn't choose a home birth but see nothing wrong with it as long as some sort of medical expert is there to assist I've never heard of someone doing a hotel birth.
CaliMommy likes this.

April 7th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Pleione's Avatar Veteran
I thought about doing a home birth but later decided to do a birth center instead. I want control over my situation and I've heard too many horror stories about hospitals to even want to consider stepping foot in one. Plus I want to do a water birth! It's something I've been researching for two years now!

I suppose the real reason I'm not doing a home birth is because we're in an apartment and not a house. It wouldn't feel right to use it to birth my little one.

April 7th, 2012, 03:54 PM
JennaBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was born at a birth center and my sister (unexpectedly) in our livingroom. So with my pregnancies I always loved the idea of a home birth. With DD1 it wasn't even an option as it was very complicated from the start. With DD2 I started at a birthing cottage (free standing birth center) and made it to 28 weeks and then went into preterm labor and it all went complicated crazy from there. I'm just too high risk for home births but I do love the concept. However, I will say for those that CAN'T do a home birth there are many many ways to make your birth just as intimate as a home birth in a safer hospital setting. I agree that birthing is "natural" but for some of us it is also "medical." <3
morethanamom4 likes this.

Thanks*Sharon*for our beautiful siggy!

, , ,,,
April 7th, 2012, 05:57 PM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Just please have a certified nurse midwife WITH you when you are in labor and delivering. The ONLY problem with that is she might not be covered (her insurance) if you go for the hotel birth. Also remember if you go into active labor during the early afternoon you might not be 'allowed' to check in when you need to. The other thing is you need to be sure the hotel room can support the weight of the birth pool and there is a drain suitable to disposal of the pool water and waste after the birth.

Do you not have any birthing centers near you??

While we LOVED my homebirth with my daughter and are planning our second - if we were in the states we'd go for the birthing center. Just to leave 'the mess' behind. lol! (They don't have anything like a birthing center in or around Dublin).

Last edited by NYCgirl; April 7th, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
April 8th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Yes, the nearest birthing center is a little over 2 hrs away. I still might do that, but was thinking it might be a good idea to have my obgyn as the backup doctor I would transfer to in a hospital if need be.

April 8th, 2012, 11:18 AM
2Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
I am planning a home water birth for this baby. I had my first two in hospital with ob's this time around I have a midwife and am going the home birth route. I would do a birthing center if any existed around where I live but to my knowledge there are none near and my labours are fast soo home it is.
April 8th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Veteran
I reallly wanted to, but husband is not on board so that's a no go. Hopefully the hospital won't be too much trouble.
April 8th, 2012, 04:14 PM
RedRose_xo's Avatar Veteran
I'd love to have a home birth but I'm far too much of a worrier to consider one. I know someone whose had one, and she said it was the most relaxing of her three births.
Baby arrived, mom and baby were checked over, mom took a bath and went to bed with baby for the rest of the day. Much less stressful, according to her.
If the option is available to you, you should definitely research it a little more.
Home births aren't for me but I can see why they're appealing!

April 8th, 2012, 08:21 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would "probably" not do a home birth myself BUT I am a big advocate that it be a legal, covered by insurance option for a woman to have a midwife assisted homebirth in every state. I think it's unfair and a travesty that some states (ahem...Illinios) makes it illegal to birth at home with a midwife. I feel that the laws against midwife assisted hb here pushes people underground, creates an unsafe enviornment and puts women and babies at risk. It leaves women three options....proceed with an unwanted hospital birth, proceed with an unassisted birth or proceed with an hb with a midwife acting illegally. Technically, it is legal to have a doctor assisted hb but good luck finding one willing to do it.

The reasons I would "probably" not consider a home birth are
1)I am not certain I want to "waive" my option to anesthesia. If I want it, I want the option to be available so that pretty much takes hb off the table for me
2)We have a lot of very small children (5 and under) and our house is chaotic. As beautiful as it is in theory to be surrounded by my children at the birth, I know that for my situation- no family nearby and no one who could take the kids or even who I would want to come over and watch them- means that it would be on DH to supervise our kids while I was in labor and I don't want that....

I WOULD consider a homebirth under the follwing circumstances:
If our children were older
If we had family nearby where they could stay a few hours
If I was committed to anesthesia free birth
If I lived a close distance to the hosptial
If I was low risk and delivering between 37-41 weeks
I had an experienced and qualified care provider

I fall in a very odd space on the continuum between the medical model and midwifery model of care....I am more to the center of the spectrum than advocates of either seem to like, so I find myself continually trying to carve out my own idea of what I'd like during birth. For example, I'm not against fetal monitoring during birth, and in fact welcome it...I just don't want to be strapped to it constantly. I'm not against technology during labor...just against it's vast overuse and I find the scare tactics that are frequently employed by both sides to be unfortunate for women and babies. Birth is such a personal and intimate experience....I think its sad when women have to compromise what they want because of politics and laws that are designed to protect everyone except mom and baby. So yeah, I fully support hb even if I wouldn't chose one...

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
April 8th, 2012, 11:03 PM
LuxRuin's Avatar Veteran
I would love to do a home birth this time around being my 4th and my birth experiences were kind of on both ends of the spectrum, not so great and great. They got better each time, but I was also more informed and more assertive with my authority in the situation each time.

I am seeing a Midwife this time but will still deliver in the hospital because there are no birth centers in the area whom offer water birth and such. I could have a home birth but I worry about my dog being a problem (he's 200lbs) so we are just going to make the best of our experience at the hospital and I'm calling the shots within reason this time and my Midwife is comfortable with that.

I think homebirthing is magical and fabulous and i hope it becomes more "normal"....I do not like the way *some* Dr's treat their patients as if they are of no importance. I've been there 3 times. Won't do it again. Wish I had the option of home birth.

-Sarah

DD #1: 13yo
DS #1: 10yo
DD #2: 5 yo
DS #2: Born September 22, 2012
April 9th, 2012, 05:37 AM
InnocentDevil's Avatar Super Mommy
I would LOVE to do a water birth, but I don't think I'd do in my home. I can see the appeal of it for sure, but it's not for me for many reasons. Mainly because I'm almost certain I'll want the epidural. Plus, I prefer the sterile environment of the hospital or birthing center. Not that my home isn't clean, but it's not "horpital clean." LOL. Plus, we have two dogs and they get very anxious when they see that I'm sick or in pain. I also think Tristan would be more comfortable in a hospital setting.

My hospital will allow me to labor in the shower or tub. Obviously, that will end once I get the epi, but water has a calming effect for me. WHen I've had a rough day, nothing calms me down like a warm bath. It does the same thing when I'm very sick or in pain.

April 9th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I've had 2 births without epidurals or any type of pain reliever now, and I MUCH prefer it that way. I also have very quick labors. I am going to call some midwives today and see what I can find out and what they would suggest. I appreciate your support and words of advice. If I do birth in a hotel I would get it cleared with the manager and be sure everything is kosher there with weight of the tub and drains, etc. There's no way I would use a hotel's tub or even my home tub - just don't know what kinds of germs are there. I will use a blow-up tub most likely, unless I do use a birthing center. Honestly, a blow up tub sounds more relaxing than a large jetted tub thing. I'm not a fan of jets at any time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search