Gaining less weight . Should I be concerned??

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By bettyearl
  • 1 Post By curlygirl77
  • 1 Post By Lyz
  • 1 Post By bettyearl
  • 1 Post By Lyz
  • 1 Post By DaniM0820
  • 1 Post By RunningMommyTo5

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2012, 08:43 AM
CoolMomof2's Avatar Veteran
I was about 15 lb overweight at the beginning of my pregnancy . Now at about 18 weeks pregnant , I have slowly gained less than 5 lb . I have been eating normal on an average [ not very unhealthy , not very healthy ] and even a few cheesecakes here and there

When I was looking at a few links for "18 weeks pregnant " , just about everything says I should have gained 10 to 15 pounds . That made me think if I should be concerned or should be eating more "calories" . I know that if we are overweight then its good to gain less weight throughout our pregnancy but I just need assurance .Anyone else who is gaining less ?

To add to it , I feel just about no symptoms at all right now and no baby movements felt as of yet . I had evening sickness throughout first trimester and till a few days back . But I never threw up and never ate less due to the nausea.

I have the next appointment in a week and it seems like forever !

My Blog www.workingmaa.com
April 9th, 2012, 08:53 AM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
I really wouldn't be concerned at this point. At 18 weeks the baby is still pretty small, and so the 10-15lb weight gain isn't there with the baby. Nor should you worry about not feeling the baby move yet. Even as a third time mom, some babies just move more than others or the placenta is in a different position, making it hard to feel movements until they get stronger. I'm voting that you're going to get a nice, calm baby out of the deal! More than likely it will be just a week or two before you feel the magic!

More empty calories don't do much except fatten you up, so if you do try and eat more just make sure the are from things that are nutrient dense.

If you're concerned try tracking on something like ChooseMyPlate.gov for a day or two and see what is really going on with your nutrition. They allow you to enter your due date and will make adjustments for the stage of pregnancy you are in and everything.
CoolMomof2 likes this.
April 9th, 2012, 08:54 AM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i haven't gained much either (i had put on 3lbs by my 16 week check). i wasn't overweight and i eat like a pig lol, so i'm not sure why. the weiht gain guidelines are very generous imo. my ob even told me to eat more at my 16 week appointment, but baby was measuring fine and seemed healthy so why would i want to deliberately gain weight just for the sake of it? i put on 20lbs during my entire last pregnancy so gaining 15 by this point seems way overboard to me.
CoolMomof2 likes this.

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

Platinum Supermommy
I've gained 7lbs and I'm 17 weeks. I didn't have bad morning sickness, but I'm just making healthier choices (although I do splurge so I don't deny myself things). If your dr isn't concerned at your next appt, I wouldn't be either. Everyone is different. I heard you are supposed to gain about 3-4lbs in your first tri and them a pound each week after so that would be around 25-30lbs. I gained 25lbs last pregnancy and sounds like I'm on the same track. (this is based on a normal BMI)
CoolMomof2 likes this.

Last edited by Lyz; April 9th, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
https://www.choosemyplate.gov/SuperTracker/default.aspx Here's the link for the tracker program. Very helpful, really. Just kind of annoying to do long-term. I think it is most beneficial to eat for about 3 days a "normal" diet and see what it looks like.
CoolMomof2 likes this.
April 9th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
here's a good weight gain calculator that will tell you if you are gaining at a healthy rate or not.

Pregnancy Weight Gain Calculator at Baby Corner
CoolMomof2 likes this.

April 9th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Thanks everyone. For me ,a little assurance means everything at this time !! Thanks a lot for the links . I'll track my food at myplate and see how I am eating . And that babycenter weight calculator was right to the point !! I never thought of trying something like that So I just calculated and I am at the lower limit of normal weight gain range . This is so satisfying

April 9th, 2012, 10:55 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm 17.5 weeks and still down 5 lbs. Doctor hasn't yelled at me so i figure I'm still ok
CoolMomof2 likes this.

April 9th, 2012, 11:37 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I think you're fine! I lost weight the first 12 weeks, and held steady at that weight at 16wks. If anything, I'm probably still holding or maybe have gained 1lb at 18wks, which still puts me below my pre-pregnancy weight by about 4lbs or so. My MW said absolutely nothing about my lack of gaining at 16wks, and for me, it's normal for me to not gain much at all until after 20 wks. I'm usually up about 5 lbs at 26-28wks, 10 more about 34wks and a few more, usually 3-ish at 36-38, then I'll either hold or drop weight at the end. I've followed this pattern of an 18lb weight gain each time throughout my three previous pregnancies and me and my babies have been fine and healthy (not to mention they've been on the bigger side, size-wise, at birth, too) and I'm a normal, healthy-side of lower weight pre-pregnancy.

Weight gain varies so much, that as long as your baby's growing fine, then there shouldn't be a concern. If you gain 10-15 lbs by 18 weeks like you're reading, then that put a normal weight woman pre-pregnancy WELL over the 20-25 lb "standard" pregnancy weight gain recommendation, because most of your gain will happen after 20 weeks, and especially in the third tri. I think that is a little on the excessive side for the average pregnancy, IMHO.

I think you're just fine!!!
CoolMomof2 likes this.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

Last edited by RunningMommyTo5; April 9th, 2012 at 11:39 AM.
April 9th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks Ladies !! And I agree that internet has just too much confusing information all around

April 9th, 2012, 02:31 PM
squiligi's Avatar Veteran
I'm down 2 lbs and my midwife says not to worry at all as long as you feel good and the baby seems to be growing (u/s and doppler sounds as well as feeling)
April 9th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Regular
I lost 14 pounds in the first trimester, and I'm still pretty much holding steady right there. I'll go up a pound or two...and then right back down. I'm just over 16 weeks and my prepregnancy weight is in the "normal" range. When I lost the 14 pounds, it almost put me to the weight I was 7 years ago...which I haven't seen in a long time! :-) My biggest fear in getting pregnant this time was gaining a whole lot of weight because it's so hard for me to lose. So, I have been trying to make better choices in what I eat, and lots of times my appetite is still pretty much nonexistent. But, I try really hard to eat what I feel like is good for the baby. I would be THRILLED if I only went 10-15 pounds over my prepregnancy weight by the time it's all said and done...which when added in with my 14 pound loss, would still put me around 30 pounds. I just DON'T want to go 30+ pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight. :-(
April 9th, 2012, 03:28 PM
InnocentDevil's Avatar Super Mommy
AT my last appointment at approx 13 weeks, I was only up 1/2 pound. My doctor isn't concerned and she said it's common to LOSE weight in the first trimester. I eat normal and haven't gained much at all... Yet I have this big ole belly!

April 9th, 2012, 06:32 PM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oops...my phone posted here on accident!

Elliott David: 9/13/12, 5:36pm, 8lbs15oz, 20 1/2" long!

Last edited by writerchick324; April 9th, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
April 9th, 2012, 06:39 PM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor told me that since I am overweight, the babyh would be perfectly healthy if I did not gain any weight. I am overwight and my goal is to gain as little weight as possible. Now, I don't eat only fruits and veggies but I am much more cautious with the food I buy. I have been buying whole wheat breads, drinking skim rich milk and trying to add fruis and veggies once a day. And I stop myself from overeatingwhich I used to do every time I ate. I have only gained four pounds but also read that its normal to see a five to ten pound gain. I figure that the baby doesn't even weigh a pound so I am not going to just use pregnancy as an excuse to gain as much weight as my fods let me. I want to be healthy and not gain fifty pounds, so even my four pound gain has me feeling blue. I recently started feeling the baby move but its not continuouse. Sometimes ill go a whole day without any feelings so I know what its like to almost not feel prego! I'm at that point. :-)

Elliott David: 9/13/12, 5:36pm, 8lbs15oz, 20 1/2" long!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search