Scary stuff.

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Kris2you
  • 7 Post By momma_d
  • 1 Post By InnocentDevil

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2012, 06:32 AM
InnocentDevil's Avatar Super Mommy
Looks like I'll be using liquid concentrate formula instead of the powder ... That's IF I don't breastfeed.
Just wanted to pass this article along to you ladies.

Bacteria Tied to Baby’s Death Linked to Formula Since 1980s - Businessweek

April 10th, 2012, 06:43 AM
YumPickles's Avatar Veteran
If you can do it, breast milk is best. You just never know what goes on in the formula factories. Many are made in Mexico or overseas where the health code standards are much much lower.

April 10th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Kris2you's Avatar Live-Laugh-Love
Send a message via MSN to Kris2you Send a message via Yahoo to Kris2you
Just one of the reasons I am 100% going to BF if I am able. I did FF at some point with my previous two but I do not want it at all this time.
3Sapphires likes this.
April 10th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow. Powder formula is not a sterile product?!?! I have actually never used powder formula with my babies, but I would have thought it was just as safe as liquid! That's awful!

April 10th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Super Mommy
Uggh. This stresses me out. I have no desire to breast feed more than the first few days for the colostrum. And the liquid formula is crazy expensive. I guess I'll be boiling the water before every bottle, and will just continue to pray and trust God to protect my baby from any harm. I couldn't tell from the article which is the best brand to go with if you are going to use powder formula. Which brand is Mead Johnson? They are doing the testing now right?
April 10th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesTheRain View Post
Uggh. This stresses me out. I have no desire to breast feed more than the first few days for the colostrum. And the liquid formula is crazy expensive. I guess I'll be boiling the water before every bottle, and will just continue to pray and trust God to protect my baby from any harm. I couldn't tell from the article which is the best brand to go with if you are going to use powder formula. Which brand is Mead Johnson? They are doing the testing now right?

This is from Mead Johnson's website:

Mead Johnson Nutrition :: Brands :: Our Brands

April 10th, 2012, 08:18 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
While yes, it is scary, the article also states that the bacteria is found everyday in our kitchens and this is VERY rare. If you notice in the beginning of the article, this has only affected 120 infants in the entire world since 1958. There are 133 Million Births each year and over a span of 54 years that means that 2.2 babies a year are infected by this bacteria in the entire world. And we have no way of knowing where those babies are even picking up the infection.

I'm not saying it isn't serious, but there are MUCH more scary things out there than this, IMO. I would be way more worried about other risk factors.

I do agree, breastmilk is best, even if it is expressed and not straight from the boob, especially in the first few months of life, but if you are a formula feeding mom, you shouldn't feel guilty about things like this. As a mother, it is our job to do the best we can to care for our children and keep them safe, but we can't put them in bubbles.

Even breastfeeding isn't 100% foolproof. I have known mom's who's babies have gotten sick from breastfeeding because, remember, whatever mom eats, the baby is eating. There are allergies and factors beyond our control (until we know about them) that happen no matter WHAT choices we make as parents.
April 10th, 2012, 08:20 AM
MrsB1227's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Very scary! We used formula to supplement with my son and ended up using liquid after a few weeks because of a recall on similac(they found beetles in the powdered formula, yuck!!!!!) The liquid was definitely expensive and less convenient. This time around I will be home full time with baby for the first year so hoping that exclusively breastfeeding works out for us this time. Not only because it's good for baby but because the savings would be incredible.
April 10th, 2012, 08:41 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is quite scary! Sure there are some risks to any choice however i've never heard of a baby dying from breastmilk. We will be exclusively breastfeeding. Even putting safety aside it just seems much more natural for my baby to consume breastmilk over formula.

April 10th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I'm still on the fence on breastfeeding. I honestly just don't think it's for me. If I do it after the first few days, I'll most likely just pump into bottles and not actually give baby the breast at all.

While it may be rare, I'm not willing to take the gamble. I'd much rather pay a lil more for liquid than powder if it gives me more peace of mind.

April 10th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Most formula companies have had recalls for the same reason in the last 10 plus yrs..I know 7 yrs ago when I had my oldest he was on similac and it was recalled due to the same thing..I'll be using whatever formula WIC provides because I do receive help from them..Honestly I don't think I'll be able to breastfeed this baby because I'll have a not quite 1 yr old and my 2 older sons and my daycare kids(7 kids in all) to take care of during the day and it might just be too much for me!

April 10th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessy_Ree View Post
Most formula companies have had recalls for the same reason in the last 10 plus yrs..I know 7 yrs ago when I had my oldest he was on similac and it was recalled due to the same thing..I'll be using whatever formula WIC provides because I do receive help from them..Honestly I don't think I'll be able to breastfeed this baby because I'll have a not quite 1 yr old and my 2 older sons and my daycare kids(7 kids in all) to take care of during the day and it might just be too much for me!
WIC here in Ohio provides liquid AND powder. I called today since I get WIC. She said it's whatever I prefer. I'll be getting liquid.
CaliMommy likes this.

April 10th, 2012, 10:07 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnocentDevil View Post
WIC here in Ohio provides liquid AND powder. I called today since I get WIC. She said it's whatever I prefer. I'll be getting liquid.
I could have misread this part of the article, but the way I understood it was that using the liquid doesn't necessarily eliminate the problem, just diminishes it a little bit. Or was that wrong? When I formula fed I actually preferred the liquid over the powder anyhow! I am going to try and breastfeed for at least the first 6-8 months and then will probably pump after that and supplement with formula if we have to.

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

April 10th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Moldovandish's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Scary! That's why I want to do my best to breastfeed and/or pump as much as possible.
With DD I had to pump a lot at the beginning since she had a poor suck and acid reflux and then when she stopped BF-ing at 9 months, I continued pumping till 1.

Baby Caleb - born on Sept. 15, 11.31 pm, 8 lb. 15 oz.
April 10th, 2012, 10:12 AM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnocentDevil View Post
WIC in AR ONLY provides the powder. I will be attempting to breastfeed as long as possible, but will be fine if I have to use the powder.

April 10th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_d View Post
I could have misread this part of the article, but the way I understood it was that using the liquid doesn't necessarily eliminate the problem, just diminishes it a little bit. Or was that wrong? When I formula fed I actually preferred the liquid over the powder anyhow! I am going to try and breastfeed for at least the first 6-8 months and then will probably pump after that and supplement with formula if we have to.
It diminishes the risk since the particular bacteria they're referring to thrives in dry environments, hence the powder. When I caled the WIC office earlier they said they recommend the liquid now due to the controversy regarding the powder formula., but it was still whatever my preference was.

Personally, I think if formula is stored properly and used properly (liquid or powder) and if bottles aren't left out too long, you don't have to worry about anything really.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search