Why do I watch those pregnancy reality shows?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Jessy_Ree
  • 1 Post By momma_d
  • 1 Post By LovesTheRain
  • 1 Post By Blessed Mommy Of 5

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2012, 11:43 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't stop watching them. I record them everyday and watch them before bed when DH is gone. Most of the time they are fine and don't bother me but by golly sometimes they scare the crap out of me! lol!

I think I keep watching them to remind me that this baby has to come out some way or another and I might as well start mentally preparing for it now, instead of while I'm in the hospital. Because that is exactly what I did last time and they were like "its time to push!" and I was secretly sooooooooo scared out of my mind lol!

So last night I watched one of a girl that wanted to have a natural birth and she was literally screaming bloody murder at the top of her lungs during each contraction. She was yelling at the nurses that she was "going to pass out" and "get me the epidural- I WANT IT NOOOOWWW!!" I mean, seriously, she sounded like the girl from the exorcist she was screaming these things so loud in this blood curdling scream. But she was already fully dilated and ready to push and she was acting so nuts that even her (pregnant) DOULA was just staring at her, horrified! It was one of those moments where you are watching it thinking, OMG do I do crazy things like that in labor and not even know it?!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

April 11th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok..because it was mentioned I do have to tell you that during my second labor..I was intent on getting my epidural but by the time I realized I was in labor and drove to the hospital I was fully dilated and ready to push..I screamed like nobodies business..I also screamed weird things like OWW MY CROTCH and told the nurse to get her f'n hand out of here(it was the babies head)..with my last baby my labor wasnt nearly that bad..a few hrs(induced labor) and the contractions werent painful except I felt like my hip was out of the socket.

April 11th, 2012, 12:22 PM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessy_Ree View Post
Ok..because it was mentioned I do have to tell you that during my second labor..I was intent on getting my epidural but by the time I realized I was in labor and drove to the hospital I was fully dilated and ready to push..I screamed like nobodies business..I also screamed weird things like OWW MY CROTCH and told the nurse to get her f'n hand out of here(it was the babies head)..with my last baby my labor wasnt nearly that bad..a few hrs(induced labor) and the contractions werent painful except I felt like my hip was out of the socket.
LOL @ "owwww my crotch!" I was just sitting there watching it, trying to relax for bed thinking, "OH. MY. GOSH. thank goodness I am not a first time mom or I would be absolutely terrified after watching this!". The best part of the entire segment was the doula just staring at her with her eyes bugging out of her head! I don't mean it to mock at ALL, it just reassured me why I am perfectly content with getting the epidural!

I was a loud pusher, I do remember that, but it was more of an "extra effort" thing than because of the pain. My epidural had fallen out so I could feel it all, but I remember it being more of a relief than painful. I remember yelling at the nurses that I "couldn't hold it anymore" when I was crowning and they kept telling me to breath and wait for the Doctor who was across the street!
CaliMommy likes this.

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

April 11th, 2012, 02:18 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I yelled at my midwife while she was putting her gown on that I had to push, and then pushed, she just barely caught him before he bounced off the bed onto the floor!

still don't know why she waited so long to put her gown on, especially after I asked her if I was pushing effectively and she told me it was "fair" well I got it together and the next push he head was out!

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 11th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Super Mommy
My first was an awful traumatic experience. The epidural wore off, I pushed for hours, she weighed almost 9 pounds, and I was convulsing. I actually had an out of body experience, and felt like i was on the ceiling looking down at myself on the table. I guess it was shock. I dont know, but that wasnt even the worst part.

I didnt start screaming profanity until they tried to sew me up from tearing. I thought all I had to do was get the baby out and it was over. Im embarrassed watching the video because there my husband is hold our sweet baby girl, and you can here me in the background telling the doctor not to put her f'n hands on me again until she gives me some major pain medicine. She said I could bleed to death while I wait, and I said something awful and threatening because she waited until they came with a shot of something strong to numb me. I remember telling this one nurse that I hated her. She was awful and mean and I told her she should be fired. I didnt hold back at all.

I was amazed at how different and smooth of a delivery my son was compared to her. Shes worth it though. I'd do it again in a heart beat. Although, I am a christian now, so I hope I'd react differently.
RunningMommyTo5 likes this.

Last edited by LovesTheRain; April 11th, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
April 11th, 2012, 02:25 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG, shouldn't have come in this post... LOL I don't want to think about this right now! You're right though, I need to start thinking about it sooner than later!

April 11th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
LOL Jessy, that is hilarious!!!

Danielle, I do the same thing. I am totally hooked on A Baby Story and Making Room For Multiples. I watch them every Monday-Friday. I am actually disappointed because TLC doesn't show them on the weekends!! I have cried quite a few times watching them recently. The crying stemmed from just the joyful outcome to a couple very sad stories of some of the ladies previous pregnancies with very tearful outcomes. I am totally addicted to both of the shows and I can't even help it! I even watch the darn reruns, lol!

I watched one episode recently where the woman was screaming bloody murder as well, I also was thinking oh my gosh is that how I acted?!?!? I know it isn't how I acted with the 2 births where I had an epidural. However with the other two I did it all natural and yes I did in fact yell. With DS I remember not only yelling but actually screaming. He was my biggest baby at 9lbs 3 1/2 oz and I thought I was going to die!
RunningMommyTo5 likes this.

April 11th, 2012, 05:57 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I saw that one, too, Danielle. I'm also addicted to the shows, and while they don't scare me, I'm not sure why I continue to watch them because I always bawl my eyes out thanks to the lovely hormones, LOL. I've seen most of the shows well more than one time since they've been on and I've watched them through all of my pregnancies. They rerun the same ones quite a bit, yet I still watch them again, and I still cry again.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

April 11th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Super Mommy
Its so funny. I remember watching those before I had my first and thinking "I would never act like that!" But pain and labor and childbirth can pull a side of you out you never knew you had! Children are such a miracle and so worth it though. I think thats why we decide to have more, even after crazy experiences.

They make me cry too. Babies are so sweet. I can see how L& D nurses can love their jobs.
April 11th, 2012, 08:09 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also watch them, even though they annoy me sometimes...I wish they'd do a better job of making sure the information is actually accurate in certain cases.....

I have to admit that with baby #9 my epi didn't work for the delivery and I was screaming at the midwife (whom I love dearly and is also my friend) to hurry up and get the baby out. I think I also screamed out the F bomb a couple times too.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search