** UPDATE** Early glucose test today

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Mrs_Crystal_K's Avatar Super Mommy
I have my 16-week appt with my regular OB today (I see the high risk OB on the 23rd) at 2 PM and she wants to do an early glucose test because diabetes run in my family. What should I expect? I heard I have to drink some really gross juice? Is there anything I need to avoid eating/drinking before I go?

**UPDATE**

Well, I failed. Passing is 140 and I scored a 161. So now I have to go back for the 3-hour test next Friday at 7:30 AM. And I have to fast for 14 hours prior!!! How can they do that to a pregnant lady?! I got EXTREMELY nauseous for my bone marrow biopsy and port placement because I couldn't eat for 8 hours prior! So I'll go home on Thursday night, eat an early dinner, and then I can't have anything except water! And if you count the 3-hour test that will be at least 17 hours before I can eat anything! Baby is not going to like that!

I also found out my regular OB isn't going to do the "standard" 20-week gender scan because I meet with the high risk OB on the 23rd (17w4d) for an u/s and they will consider that my "gender scan." Bummer man

My OB also checked his heart rate and baby's hb skips a beat occasionally. She told me not to be concerened (of course I still am). My DH's heart does the same thing.

Also, my Oncologist may still consider radiation after chemo is done, etc. If she wants to do radiation, they will induce me at 37 weeks (Sept 6th). Will have to wait and see how that goes.

Diagnosed with Stage II Hodgkin's Lymphoma on 3/23/12 at 13w1d pregnant.

Last edited by Mrs_Crystal_K; April 12th, 2012 at 03:30 PM.
April 12th, 2012, 09:03 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was always told to eat normally, but avoid sugary stuff - I'd stick with water to drink. eat some protein.

Of course don't drink or eat anything after you have the drink during the hour you wait for the blood test.

The drink isn't all that bad, depends on the flavor I think.

You might want to bring a snack, to eat after the blood is taken, it can make you feel jittery and even a little queasy.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 12th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Super Mommy
It's not exactly gross. It's really, really sweet. Think soda without carbonation. For both of my girls, I *think* I had the first appt of the day and couldn't eat before, but they would have told you that- I don't remember. If you are eating as normal today, it wouldn't hurt to stay away from sugar and carbs, just so you don't get a false-high reading. Good luck!
April 12th, 2012, 09:12 AM
GeekLover11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hopping in with a question.. When are those tests usually given?

Ashley
Ashley
April 12th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Super Mommy
28 weeks, maybe? I think that's when.
April 12th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Ashley,

The full glucose screening test is done between 24-28 weeks
GeekLover11 likes this.

April 12th, 2012, 09:17 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had to get this done when going through my RE (2 hour) then the 1 hour one at 10or something weeks. My advice is don't consume anything but WATER beforehand. I failed the 1 hour one and had to do the 3-hour one. Thankfully I passed that one, but I still need to get it done again at the normal 28 weeks.

I don't think the drink is too bad, just drink it fast and it goes much easier. You can't eat or drink ANYTHING after drinking the sugar drink though. Good luck!

April 12th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Kierasmom
I was told not to eat before mine. The drink is gross because it's so high in sugar and I never drink or eat that much sugar at once. I failed mine, and then I refused the 3 hour test, and the nutritionist because I've already done that before. I'm just following the GD diet now.

Michael(17), Devon(15), Nico(10),
Kiera(9), Joshua(6), Isabel & Sebastian(5),
Halleigh(4),
Liam(3), Ronan(1)
April 12th, 2012, 10:28 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I usually don't eat breakfast before because I always have my glucose test done first thing when the office opens and I just don't have time and I usually only drink water beforehand. The drink really isn't that bad, like the others said, just VERY sweet. The ones my office has are actually carbonated which helps, I think. I prefer the orange flavor. It taste like a really sweet Sunkist. I'm not as huge of a fan of the fruit punch flavor. Like the others said, nothing to eat or drink after you drink the glucose and they'll draw the blood at exactly an hour after you drink it.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

April 12th, 2012, 10:38 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never got a choice on flavors but I think it tasted exactly like the others said, a super sugary, thick, uncarbonated soda. It wasn't exactly bad, just not good either!

I thought the worst part about it was the wait. I got to the lab and waited to be called back, then you just drink the stuff, and sit and wait for another hour until they draw your blood. I am a constant snacker when I'm pregnant so I just felt gross and jittery after I left, like Ami said. I literally felt like I had drank about ten coffees. Its just anything but fun/convenient. I'm already dreading doing it again for that reason!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

April 12th, 2012, 10:45 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_d View Post
I thought the worst part about it was the wait. I got to the lab and waited to be called back, then you just drink the stuff, and sit and wait for another hour until they draw your blood. I am a constant snacker when I'm pregnant so I just felt gross and jittery after I left, like Ami said. I literally felt like I had drank about ten coffees. Its just anything but fun/convenient. I'm already dreading doing it again for that reason!
They make you drink yours at the lab and wait??? Ugh, that would be bad. They send it home with you at my office. So you just drink it at home and hour before your blood draw. They make sure to tell all the moms how crucial it is to be at the office 15 minutes before your appt time, because if you're even one minutes past the hour mark, they won't draw your blood and reschedule your test. I'm so thankful I don't have to drink it at the office and wait!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

April 12th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Thanks ladies :-)

Hopefully I get a nurse this time who doesn't have to poke me 3-4 times to get a vein like last time (I have super deep veins). And I doubt they have a nurse that knows how to use my chemo port to get blood.

And yeah, I have to drink it and then wait the hour at the office too. Good thing I brought a book

April 12th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Sagga02's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sagga02 Send a message via MSN to Sagga02 Send a message via Yahoo to Sagga02
Ditto to all of the above

www.etsy.com/shop/sagga02
April 12th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
last time, I failed my one hour, had to get the three hour, ended up with GD and then had to get the 2 hour at 8 weeks PP. They tried to get me to do it around 13 weeks this time but I felt queasy and knew i would throw it up if I did so I just got a fasting blood sugar.

I was always told to fast. I brought a portable DVD player last time and plan to bring my ipad this time to keep me company. I already decided that if I fail my one hour, I'm just going to start checking my own sugars and eating like I have GD. I refuse that three hour again.

Food is a most afterwards or you'll feel like crap after. Good luck and keep us posted!

April 12th, 2012, 01:03 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've always done mine in the evenings, I don't think starving a pregnant women from 7am to 7pm would be very nice! haha! So I've always told to eat normally but avoid carbs and sugary stuff.

I've always passed, even though they assume that since I am fat I must be diabetic... sigh...

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 12th, 2012, 01:46 PM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
katie, they let you drink it at home? ugh, at the hospital i used last time i had to drink it right in front of them at the counter, with them watching, to make sure we didn't pour it away!. 'Cos y'know, us pregnant women need to be treated like naughty 5 year olds

i agree, the orange flavour is slightly more tolerable if you get a choice.

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

April 12th, 2012, 02:07 PM
MrsB1227's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doc lets me take it home and I just has to time it appropriately so I am at the office after one hr for the blood draw. I didn't think the drink was too bad, tastes like flat Sunkist soda. I failed my 1 hr by 2 measly points and had to take the 3 hr (i passed) which was torturous for me. I hate needles and it was so annoying to sit in the waiting room of the lab for so long. I was so hungry by the end of it. Next time I will not eat beforehand because I definitely don't want to endure the 3 hr again!
April 12th, 2012, 03:04 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It wouldn't have been too bad if you didn't have to drink the whole thing in such a short time! The flavor didn't bother me at first but i did not feel like chugging all of it. I can't remember for sure but i think i had a lime flavored one.

April 12th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wishing you the best with everything

April 12th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Super Mommy
17 hours of fasting is cruel. Poor thang. *HUGS* Praying always for you and your baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search