Lovenox injections?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Mrs_Crystal_K's Avatar Super Mommy
So I had my first chemo on Friday and it went pretty well, the actual process of getting chemo is a piece of cake just a lot of sitting and waiting...

Friday night I had some chest pressure so I went to the ER as they were afraid of a blood clot. They did a CT scan with contrast (not recommended in pregnancy but a blood clot could have killed me and baby). Lucikly, the scans were clean. I've been checking baby's heart rate every day since and he seems to be doing okay....

Anyways, now the high risk OB and my Oncologist have put me on twice a day self injections of Lovenox (blood thinners). Pregnancy makes you more susceptible to blood clots and cancer makes you even more at risk, so I got the double whammy...

I'm going to meet with the nurse at 11:30 AM so she can show me how to do the injections (they will go in my stomach or side fat). I have a small panic attack every time I think about giving myself a shot. I hate needles, and I hate shots. Whenever I get them at the doctor's office I have to look away. How am I supposed to do these myself? I asked my DH what he thought about doing them for me and he went pale and almost passed out (he's even worse with needles).

Does anyone have any experience with these injections or any sort of regularly administered self-injections? I am freaking out

Diagnosed with Stage II Hodgkin's Lymphoma on 3/23/12 at 13w1d pregnant.
April 17th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Veteran
Crystal I completely understand your anxiety and I am so sorry you have to the shots. I had to give myself shots subcutaneous in my belly fat. I was just like you at first it was making me feel nervous to have to do it to myself but after the first shot I could not believe how easy it was and the needle was so small and thin that I hardly felt it at all. You are going to do a great job and you wont believe how good you will get at it. I am praying for you and baby everyday and have added you and your baby to a prayer group I am a part of. We will all pray for this to go smoothly and easily. I know it will. if you have any other questions I am here.
PS The needles you have gottne at the doctor are most likely intramuscular which is alot different from the SC you will be doing. So do not worry. Much easier.

How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers. ~ Blessed Mother Teresa

Last edited by underhermantle; April 17th, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
April 17th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Thank you

April 17th, 2012, 09:35 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my cousin had to do these and so does a girl in my lifegroup. Anyone I have ever talked to that does them agrees, that it seems like a really scary thing, but turns out not to be! I will keep praying for you and baby, Crystal! Love hearing your updates, by the way.

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

April 17th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Thanks momma_d

I am trying really really really hard to stay positive through all of this, but it's getting harder and harder. It's just like one thing after another....

We have our "official" gender scan on Monday (17w4d), so I'm trying to focus on that and looking forward to seeing my little Bub again...

April 17th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Moldovandish's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've done shots in my belly before and at first I was worried and had DH do them, but then tried it myself and it wasn't so bad.
Hugs!

Baby Caleb - born on Sept. 15, 11.31 pm, 8 lb. 15 oz.
April 17th, 2012, 09:48 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the update Crystal. I understand why it seems scary but i know you can do it! Hang in there!! ((((HUGS))))

April 17th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Super Mommy
My mom is the biggest baby about needles and even she managed them because she ended up with DVT!!! It definitely seems scarier then it really is and in comparison to what you've already been through, it'll be nothing!! Lots of *hugs*. You'll do fine!
April 17th, 2012, 10:24 AM
GeekLover11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much for the update. You have been on my mind, especially since Friday.

I am glad that the chemo went smoothly for you. As for the injections, I have never had to do it. My grandfather is on insulin injections twice a day. At this point, it doesn't even phase him at all and from what I understand, he was very iffy about it in the beginning. I think it is something you will just get used to with time.

I am seriously amazed at how much you are taking on!! But, I know for a fact you can do this. Just think about that beautiful baby boy of yours and keeping him safe. I am sure you will be able to do it BIG hugs!!!

Ashley
Ashley
April 17th, 2012, 10:29 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I have done lots of injections for IVF, and I was terrified at the thought of doing them myself The good news is, though, that you get used to them really quickly. Get all your things ready...I had a little routine that I went through every time to make sure I had my meds, the correct needle/syringe, my bandaid, the little alcohol wipe, etc. When you stick the needle in, just do it in one smooth motion. For those kind of shots the needle are really small...you probably won't feel anything at all. Also, a cute bandaid helps me feel better afterwards.

Sometimes I had to psych myself up beforehand, and I'd watch a video of someone else doing the shots. Here is a link (Freedom MedTEACH) to the ones I used. For the sub-q shots, use the Bravelle video; Step 4 is the actual injection.

Crystal, I have been following your story, and you are in my thoughts and prayers every day. I hope that you and your little man come thru this healthy and stronger than ever

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 17th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Sagga02's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sagga02 Send a message via MSN to Sagga02 Send a message via Yahoo to Sagga02
Thank you for the update Crystal. You are in my thoughts so often. Hang in there and lean on us if you need to vent!!! HUGS

www.etsy.com/shop/sagga02
April 17th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks ladies. The nurse just gave me my first injection and it BURNED, but I think she injected the medicine too fast. I think I will try some ice and injecting the medicine a little slower tonight when I do the injection on my own. I hope I get used to this quickly!

April 17th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Super Mommy
I did lovenox injections with my last DS. I hated them. When you go to do them, pinch the skin (which should be what they tell you do to) put the needle to the skin and look away to push in, I did that the first night and it helped me to do it... but then I just asked DH if he could do it so I wouldn't have to. I am so skiddish about needles and was standing up for awhile and got really nauseous and dizzy so I suggest laying down to do them. Be forewarned that you will be tender and bruised. I would creep people out by the bruises lol. Try to switch sides for each shot... each morning do the shot on the left side but move over like an inch so it's several days before you inject in a previous spot. I hope this helps. I'm sorry you have to do this but glad you are being taken care of and that they are doing what needs to be done to make sure you and baby are good!

April 18th, 2012, 08:17 AM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can do it!!!!

I have taught alot of people how to do these injections and everyone is as scared as you are. But in the end it ends up not being as bad as your first think. Hang in there, I know you can do this and will get through it with flying colors

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

April 18th, 2012, 09:38 PM
It went pretty good last night and this morning. The needle stick isn't as bad as the burning from the medicine. However, I already have 2 big purple and blue bruises. The spot where the nurse injected me hasn't bruised at all. I'm not sure why.

Also, the nurse told me to inject the needle at a 45 degree angle, but the Lovenox website says to inject at a 90 degree angle.

Tonight I'm going to try icing the injection spot 10 minutes before and after to see if it helps with the bruising. If it keeps up like this I'm going to look like a purple and blue leopard across my tummy.

April 19th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Veteran
I am glad it went well. Sorry abou tthe bruising. You are a rock star!

How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers. ~ Blessed Mother Teresa
April 19th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thinking of you

My friend had some blood clots in her leg about a month before finding out she's pregnant. She has to give her self a Lovenox shot every day. She says it burns but is otherwise not *too* bad.

My Ovulation Chart
April 19th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no experience, but you will be in my T&P's.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search