Are you (did you) take any Birth Classes?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Mrs_Crystal_K's Avatar Super Mommy
This is my first baby and the hospital offers a BUNCH of classes:

• Breastfeeding class
• Baby care class
• Childbirth preparation
• Infant/child CPR & emergency response class
• Introducing your dog to your new baby
• Infant massage
• Happiest Baby on the Block
• Sibling class

They are pretty pricey though (the childbirth class alone is $70.)

I was thinking about doing the childbirth class (it's a 12-hour class over 2 weekends), the baby care class, and the infant CPR class.

Did any of you BTDT moms take any classes? Are any of you FTM's planning on taking any classes?

Diagnosed with Stage II Hodgkin's Lymphoma on 3/23/12 at 13w1d pregnant.

Last edited by Mrs_Crystal_K; April 17th, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
April 17th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Super Mommy
I wanted to, but don't have the finances for it, hope you have a blast though!

April 17th, 2012, 12:41 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I watched a lamaze dvd with #1 - what a waste of time...

with number 2 I read the bradly book, and then did my own thing.

I'll be skipping the classes this time!

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 17th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Kaema's Avatar Kris
Send a message via AIM to Kaema Send a message via MSN to Kaema
I took Bradley classes the first time around. I would like to do it again this time, but I'm not sure we will have the money for it.

Thank you GraysMama for my gorgeous siggy!
April 17th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Sagga02's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sagga02 Send a message via MSN to Sagga02 Send a message via Yahoo to Sagga02
I didn't take any classes the first time around and don't think i had any issues with not knowing what was going on, breathing etc. There are lots of good books out there to read and never be afraid to ask lots of questions of your medical team before and during labour if you choose not to do any classes

www.etsy.com/shop/sagga02
April 17th, 2012, 02:09 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I took childbirth preparation, breastfeeding, and CPR classes. The CPR is worth it. The others weren't all that helpful IMO. I think they'd be helpful if you really aren't sure what to expect but i did research on the stuff beforehand so already knew most of it.

This time i plan to do a hynobirthing or bradley classes. Haven't decided which so if anyone has any info on which would be a better option i'd love to hear it I think these would've been better for me since i wanted a non-medicated birth.
Enitsirk likes this.

April 17th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Mrs_Crystal_K's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for the replies ladies. Maybe I will just do the baby care class and CPR class. I've been to live births before and done my fair share of research on the actual birthing process at the hospital, so that class might really not be all that helpful to me for the cost.

Diagnosed with Stage II Hodgkin's Lymphoma on 3/23/12 at 13w1d pregnant.
April 17th, 2012, 02:54 PM
YumPickles's Avatar Veteran
I didn't take any classes the first time around. I'm not sure a child birthing class would have helped, I think you are just along for the ride, lol.

If you are planning to breast feed, that class might be helpful, but depending on your situation you can find assistance for free. With my first I had issues with poor latch and cracked/bleeding nipples that felt like fire. Luckily the local WIC office helped me out and let me borrow a super duper breast pump and gave me some instruction on breastfeeding properly. It was wonderful! You can also look you la leche league to see if one is in your area.

April 17th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The first time around we did the childbirth class and breastfeeding class. This time, I will probably take DS to the Sibling Class, and I would like DH and I to both do the CPR class. Our are all a free service of the hospital

My Ovulation Chart
April 17th, 2012, 04:13 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did a lamaze class but found it a waste of time. They had yummy food there though, so it was sort of a fun date with DH!

I WISH I would have taken the breastfeeding classes though because breastfeeding did not come easy for me and still does not.
I would take a CPR class too...
Enitsirk and LovesTheRain like this.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
April 17th, 2012, 04:18 PM
MrsB1227's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't take any. I read the hypnobirthing book and thought it was great, it didn't present all the medical things related to birth that would freak a person like me out. I was too lazy to go to any classes and thankfully had a great labor despite not taking a zillion classes. They are also very pricey in my area and I felt I could spend the money on better things.
April 17th, 2012, 05:17 PM
2Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
I took just a basic prenatal class/carseat class and a breastfeeding class. Could have done with out all of them in the end really thanks to everything I have learned from jm (especially the carseat safety) and just from reading books reccomended to me.
April 17th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Sprinkle 2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our hospital offered several classes, but they were free. I did a breastfeeding class, child care and child birth- what to expect. I found them pretty helpful as a first timer. One of the nice things was that it was appropriate to the hospital I was delivering at. So they filled us in before hand on all the ins and outs of that hospital, such as where to go, how to fill out paperwork and what to expect from staff. The breastfeeding class was helpful, too, for tips and resources.

I met one of my best friends in town in the childcare class. We were both first time moms and really hit it off. It may be a good place to go and get some support from other local moms.

April 17th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Brannyt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Last pregnancy, we took a childbirth and newborn care class, mostly for DH since he had never changed a baby etc. I really want to take a breast feeding class this time around since I had a hard time with it last time, and maybe a birthing class since I'm going for a VBAC.

I definitely think they're worth it, especially of you're a FTM if for nothing else but more information

LOVE my siggy, thank you Meganpixel!!!!!!
April 18th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Super Mommy
The Lamaze class was a joke. Nothing they showed me helped at all. But like Angela said, they were super fun dates with my hubby, and he actually did learn some stuff. He learned how to count during the pushing, and how to swaddle the baby. So it wasn't a total waste. You should 100 % take the CPR classes and renew them every year. You always want that info fresh. And it could be life saving. Good luck! *HUGS*
April 18th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Moldovandish's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took a class about how to take care of baby and breastfeeding that my work was offering at the time. I did not take any childbirth classes, but I've read a lot about it and am not planning on taking any this time. The hospitals typically show you a childbirth video during the hospital tour, which is free, so we did that the first time around.

Baby Caleb - born on Sept. 15, 11.31 pm, 8 lb. 15 oz.
April 18th, 2012, 08:01 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Public Health here does prenatal classes for $30 and offers free breast feeding classes so I am going both. My SO's brother is a doctor and said not to bother with either they are useless but honestly, what does he know - everything! I know nothing. I don't think they'll be useless to me so I told him to shove it.

Pinterest
Flickr
April 18th, 2012, 08:22 AM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't take any classes. I'm pretty familiar with OB stuff so I didn't see the need. But, looking back it might have been nice to have taken it for DH, because he really didn't know what to expect.

I didn't take Bfing classes because my pedi's office has a lactation consultant who works wiht them. So whenever I had trouble, I would just go see her. I'm not sure I would have really understood it until the baby was here actually trying to BF.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

April 18th, 2012, 09:06 AM
nroundtr's Avatar Veteran
I'm taking birthing, breastfeeding and baby care classes for several reasons: 1) to meet other moms in the area, 2) they are offered by our hospital at a reasonable package price and it'll be good to know their policies and procedures, 3) DH has never changed a diaper before, let alone held a newborn, so he needs a confidence booster, 4) it's something to do, 5) I'm hoping for good info on resources for after the birth.

April 18th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to either take a breastfeeding class or get this dvd: Amazon.com: Laugh and Learn About Breastfeeding: Sheri Bayles, Expect This LLC: Movies & TV

I got the childbirthing one from this collection and it was nice to do it in the privacy of our own home and helped DH (I already knew all this but I wanted him to understand what was going on with me during labor).

The BF class is only $20 at the hospital but I like that I could have this as a reference if needed.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search