Not preggo related but...

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I know a lot of you have older kids as well and I was wondering..How can I get my 5 and 7 yr old boys to gain weight..My 7 yr old is literally falling off his growth chart..she's so scrawny all of his little bones stick out..He's incredibly muscular but so thin he could wear infants shorts..I googled it and all I could come up with is give him a ton of icecream..um..no.that much sugar would kill a person..Im looking for healthier ways to help my boys gain weight and not turn them into diabetics..LOL..Ive switched them back to whole milk from 2 percent because obviously the fats not doing anything to them..but was wondering if anyone had any good ideas?

April 19th, 2012, 10:04 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have they always been built like that? If so and if they are eating their meals/snacks well then i wouldn't worry! I don't have older kids but from my experience with DS he's always been small and i've learned that's it is okay because that's just how God made him! Plus i assume at their age they are pretty active. If you want to try to get them to gain weight you can try other healthy fatty foods like avocados and dairy products with whole milk like you're doing. But like i said, as long as its normal for them i wouldn't worry.

April 19th, 2012, 10:09 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
maybe mix some carnation instant breakfast into the milk? pediasure or ensure - mix it with the milk.

nuts - are good source for fat - does he like to eat them? if not you could load up some muffins or homemade cookies with nuts.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 19th, 2012, 10:20 AM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my son is really tiny, he is 6 but wears 3 and 4t clothes. the dr said it's fine because he was born small and stayed on the same growth curve. unless your son has suddenly lost weight he might just be genetically predisposed to be smaller.

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

April 19th, 2012, 10:20 AM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have the exact opposite issue...My DS eats really healthy here at home, drinks TONS of water, BUT we have issues getting him to be active and he is very tall, but 66 lbs at only 6 years old. As long as they are eating healthy and staying active I wouldn't worry about it. If you really want to get a few extra calories in them I've heard that the carnation instant breakfasts or pediasure is a good way to get them to add get those few extra calories without them even realizing that you are doing it

April 19th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Mrs_Crystal_K's Avatar Super Mommy
I would try to add in some extra carbs and protein where you can: Carnation instant breakfast, Ensure, etc. The whole milk is a good idea.

But if he's eating regularly and a healthy boy and just small-built, that's probably just how he was made

Diagnosed with Stage II Hodgkin's Lymphoma on 3/23/12 at 13w1d pregnant.
April 19th, 2012, 10:32 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
More protein, a higher fat milk if you only drink 1% or something in your house, more carbs. Edit: I've see you switched to whole milk, I missed that the first time I read your post. My mom always gave my whole milk until I was about 13 because I was so thin.

Is he a snacker? I was always a healthy snacker as a child and not coincidentally I was always a stick thin little thing as a child because my metabolism was in such great shape from eating many small meals throughout the day.

Is his doctor concerned? I think it can be pretty normal for younger children to not have a lot of fat stores if they have a healthy lifestyle.

Pinterest
Flickr
April 19th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
As far as if theyve always been that way..my older son was born at the 25th percentile and stayed there for yrs then suddenly fell off..He's almost chronically anemic but his doctor refuses to even see him one more time..I talked to my ob( I know not the same as a ped but the ped won't listen to me) and he told me to give him tons of fruits which I was hesitant about because of the sugar but he said the body will process it differently and it shouldnt cause a problem..he's also taking 2 multi-vites a day and Im now giving him the sugar free carnation instant breakfast made with whole milk instead of skim..He was never really chunky but he's almost sickly now..as far as my 5 yr old..Im less worried about him..but he's been losing weight too..I have the city coming out to check our water to make sure its not something their ingesting at home..Ive also had my home tested for lead and other environmental hazards..Maybe its just because my kids are actually ridiculously healthy eaters and more active than a pack of preschool boys..IDK..LOL..I think the carnation is a hit with them though because they LOVE chocolate milk ..LOL..Ive also thought over the possibility of it being a genetic thing..(my husband weighed 130 lbs at 21 when I met him)..I just worry about the extent of my oldest sons boniness..his poor tailbone looks so sharp..I know I should feel blessed that they dont' love junk food and we're not dealing with severe childhood obesity but its hard buying them clothes because they are almost normal height(still a bit short but Im only 5 ft) but so skinny its hard buying them pants..Im such a worry wart its insane..LOL..

April 19th, 2012, 10:48 AM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Please don't try to put weight on them with something like ice cream. If the doctor is not worried don't be. My kids are the same.

I think more kids used to be 'skinny' and the 'husky' kids were outnumbered (back in the 70s and 80s when I was a kid). NOT anymore in America! I was slightly shocked and horrified to see plus size kids clothes sections in department stores when I last visited the US!

April 19th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All my kids are tiny. Three of them have been on high calorie diets. The nutritionist suggested pediasure 3x daily, whole milk yogurt with a TBS of olive oil mixed in, cheeses for snacks. She said dairy has a lot of calories in a smaller serving.
Angela; Mom to S,K,R,J,E,C,N and #8 coming soon (ish).

April 19th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCgirl View Post
Please don't try to put weight on them with something like ice cream. If the doctor is not worried don't be. My kids are the same.

I think more kids used to be 'skinny' and the 'husky' kids were outnumbered (back in the 70s and 80s when I was a kid). NOT anymore in America! I was slightly shocked and horrified to see plus size kids clothes sections in department stores when I last visited the US!

Actually I was astounded that icecream was recommended..we don't even have it in our house unless its a special occasion..as far as the docs not being concerned..we're seeing medicaid docs at the moment and they don't really care about anything but getting paid..The nutritionist at the health dept is who first raised my flag about this..she was incredibly worried almost to the point they extended his wic benefits for an additional yr(they usually get cut off at age 5)..Ive got a list of recommended foods and Im going to take him to the store with me to pick it out so he feels included in the process..we've been primarily a dairy free home for a few yrs due to my youngest sons intolerance and my own allergies but Ive started buying it again for his sake..Ive read thats one healthy way to put weight on kids..he goes back to the health dept in a month for a weight check and he should gain at least a lb by then so here's to hoping.

April 19th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Super Mommy
If you are concerned, I would consider switched pediatricians since yours isn't responsive anymore. If another pediatrician isn't concerned either, you can probably feel pretty confident that he's ok. But the fact that's he's actually dropped so drastically is definitely worth taking a second look. If you decide to try sneaking in some extra calories, I'd second the full-fat dairy products, good carbs...maybe speak to a nutritionist?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search