Gestational Diabetes

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Mrs_Crystal_K's Avatar Super Mommy
Well, I didn't pass my 3-hour glucose test today just BARELY, but she still diagnosed me with gestational diabetes.

My results were:
Fasting: under 95
Me: 97
1-hour: under 180
Me: 174
2-hour: under 155
Me: 155
3-hour: under 140
Me: 137

So I have to go get the monitor and test strips and all that fun stuff. As if I didn't already have enough on my plate right now

I will have a "teaching" with the nurse on Monday (after my "official" gender u/s) to go over how to monitor, the diet, etc.

This little Bub is putting me to work to get him here!

Diagnosed with Stage II Hodgkin's Lymphoma on 3/23/12 at 13w1d pregnant.
April 20th, 2012, 12:02 PM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh my goodness, Crystal! You are just getting put to work, girl! Hopefully since your numbers weren't too far off it will be easy to manage!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

April 20th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Yeah, it's just one thing after another after another it seems like... But in the scope of things that are going on, this is definitely minimal and manageable...

April 20th, 2012, 12:12 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry you have something else added to your plate That's annoying to have to deal with, especially because your numbers were so close!

April 20th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's not to hard to follow the GD diet. When I went to see the nurse I realized that I already ate right, and just had to control the urge to splurge when tempted(not hard, because there is always something else you can have instead).

April 20th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kierasmom View Post
It's not to hard to follow the GD diet. When I went to see the nurse I realized that I already ate right, and just had to control the urge to splurge when tempted(not hard, because there is always something else you can have instead).
Yeah, looking at the GD diet on-line I am already eating very similar to it. The main things I see that I need to adjust is cutting back on the fruit (I eat a TON of fruit) and adding some veggies instead. And also cutting out the fruit juices. I will also need to make sure I'm balancing my carbs with protein (i.e. not just eating a bowl of pasta with no protein).

This is dumb, but can I still have a piece of cake at my Baby Shower?

April 20th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Kris2you's Avatar Live-Laugh-Love
Send a message via MSN to Kris2you Send a message via Yahoo to Kris2you
Oh man, one more thing for you BUT this is just another example of what a strong lady you are!! Good luck with it
April 20th, 2012, 01:55 PM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry, like you don't have enough to deal with!

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

April 20th, 2012, 02:43 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
that really sucks - I would think passing would be passing...

But you can do it.. I hope it is an easy transition for you...

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 20th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry Crystal! I too hope it turns out easy for you to manage. I do not have any experience with gestational diabetes but if for some reason you aren't able to eat any of your cake; I think you should freeze some to have after the baby is born!

April 20th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think you can have a slice of cake but I would ask your doctor how to fit it in...like you might have to adjust what else you eat that day to compensate.
April 21st, 2012, 04:40 PM
JennaBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hugs!! GD is no carnival but it can be totally manageable. The key is to keep it in control now so you don't end up with type 2 after delivery. I am type 1 since childhood so if you ever need anyone to talk to! My best suggestions are to keep a food Log. Everything you eat/drink, portions and times and whatever blood sugar numbers you have to go with it. This way you can see what foods affect you how and the more information you can give your doc the better they can treat you. Make it part of your daily routine and don't be afraid to set alarms (my insulin pump reminds me to eat and test ) GL!!!
April 21st, 2012, 06:41 PM
2Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
I am sorry thats sucks.
April 21st, 2012, 06:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
ugh I had GD and yes it does suck but completely manageable, especially since your numbers aren't over the top. Diet and exercise (even just walking a few times a week will help). I had cake at my baby shower and it made me feel like crap my body was so used to minimal sugar that I was in like a sugar coma!

If you love fruit, try apple slices with peanut butter. I also added sugar free jelly to my cottage cheese so I felt like I was getting that sweetness/fruit even though I wasn't.

I hope your sugars stay in control but if not, they should be able to give you a pill form of insulin.

April 21st, 2012, 06:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was diagnosed with GD with my last pregnancy and couldnt get my numbers under 200 without insulin..didnt matter what i ate..With your numbers hopefully it won't be too hard with diet.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search