Tired of unwanted advice and opinions.

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By InnocentDevil
  • 1 Post By nroundtr
  • 3 Post By amazing_love
  • 3 Post By writerchick324

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2012, 12:32 PM
InnocentDevil's Avatar Super Mommy
Every single time I have something to say about MY pregnancy, someone has something to say about it. I am tired of hearing Don't do this. Don't do that. Don't eat this. Don't eat that. Don't sleep this way. My doctor says this."

How about I don''t care!! LOL. Unless I ask for an opinion, I don't want to hear it!! Every single pregnancy is different. I'm not buying into all the paranoia surrounding my pregnancy that the media and "friends" are trying to sell me. Women have been giving birth since the beginning of time and I'm pretty sure they didn't have books, websites or even doctors back then.

April 20th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Mrs_Crystal_K's Avatar Super Mommy
Amen, sista!

Diagnosed with Stage II Hodgkin's Lymphoma on 3/23/12 at 13w1d pregnant.
April 20th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree I haven't really had any unwanted advice/opinions so far this pregnancy, but I think I had my fair share while struggling with infertility.

My Ovulation Chart
April 20th, 2012, 01:39 PM
nroundtr's Avatar Veteran
A year ago one of my coworkers was pregnant with her first and the amount of unwanted advice she got from all the other moms in our department made ME mad! I'm so grateful to be working from home during this pregnancy because I would probably have to start just nodding and smiling while plotting a horrible death for them if I were there all the time!
Panda likes this.

April 20th, 2012, 01:58 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes it can get very old. I think everyone (ok most people) really enjoy talking about pregnancy so especially for women who aren't currently pregnant but have been in the past its something they feel they can relate to. I can't say i come across many women who don't have something to say about pregnancy, whether it be their experience, tips or simply asking me about it. I do believe most people really aren't meaning harm and are only trying to make conversation. For me it depends on how they go about it. If they are talking about their own pregnancy and experience that to me is different than them telling me i should be doing something different. Everyone does things differently so if its not something i would do then i just accept it as what it is.. their opinion and move on. But some people really are flat out rude and other times its just a bad day when i can't tolerate much. ha.
wishfulgal, Daffodil and nroundtr like this.

April 20th, 2012, 02:34 PM
InnocentDevil's Avatar Super Mommy
It's completely fine to compare notes and pregnancies, but when someone is doing it in a condescending way, it pisses me off. I've never been the type to do well with being told what to do... especially by someone wh is NOT in a position of authority and isn't educated on the subject at hand. I just hate when people come at me in a know-it-all way.

April 20th, 2012, 02:40 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yeah, it does get old - luckily no one can really tell I m pregnant till I am carrying a baby around! haha!

but I am getting to the point of telling my mom to STHU. She yelled at me yesterday because I still get sick once in a while...

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 20th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Sapphires View Post
yeah, it does get old - luckily no one can really tell I m pregnant till I am carrying a baby around! haha!

but I am getting to the point of telling my mom to STHU. She yelled at me yesterday because I still get sick once in a while...
lmao!!!

and uh, she is crazy. How is that your fault?!?!
April 20th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that it can get old! I haven't had much unwanted advice this time around, luckily!

April 20th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Ali and Jillybeans mom :)
im lurking from the june ddc. i have a co-worker who has no children but has been TTC for a year. this is my 3rd pregnancy and she tells me dont eat that dont do that have you done this have you done that? she yelled at me for eating a turkey sandwich when my dr told me i could eat turkey. it is annoying and i can not stand it. i know how you feel lol
April 20th, 2012, 03:53 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No one gives me advice anymore...It is one silver lining of having lots of babies. Even my midwife says "I have to tell you this b/c it's my job but..."

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
April 20th, 2012, 05:21 PM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I work in a hospital in the main registration area. I am tired of having people say, "Hear that, Kimber? That's what you are going to hear soon!" when a baby is screaming. Or "That's what you'll be waking up to five times a night soon!" or if some kid is throwing a tantrum, "That's what you have to look forward to!"

I get it. I don't think raising a kid is going to be like playing with my neighbors puppy. I babysat my brothers enough and my mom did in home day care my entire life that I helped her with. I know how to change diapers and when to call the doc! It's very frustrating!
Rinchan, Sigyl and InnocentDevil like this.

Elliott David: 9/13/12, 5:36pm, 8lbs15oz, 20 1/2" long!

April 20th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Sigyl's Avatar Veteran
Amen!!

When I want advice or opinions, I ASK FOR THEM. My DH's family has a lot of things to say. I think it drives me the most insane when his father tells me what I can/can't eat. He has fathered 6 children, that does not make him an expert on pregnancy.

I do double check with my midwife about some of the stuff he advises. The last tidbit about eating 100 grams of protein a day or the baby's hair won't grow right made her laugh out loud last time. I knew she was going to share his sage advice with her coworkers over lunch by her reaction.

But yeah, I smile and nod like I'm listening but I try to let most of it filter out. I'm in touch with my doctor's office and I'm following their advice. No one else's unsolicited opinions should matter.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search