Car Seat info

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By 3Sapphires
  • 2 Post By Daffodil
  • 1 Post By JennaBee

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2012, 05:44 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This article is from last year, but still good info...

Some may not agree, but lets remember to keep things polite

AAP's new car seat guidelines change rear facing & booster rules | Work + Money - Yahoo! Shine
Daffodil and aquariussweety21 like this.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 24th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Kierasmom
Great article!

Michael(17), Devon(15), Nico(10),
Kiera(9), Joshua(6), Isabel & Sebastian(5),
Halleigh(4),
Liam(3), Ronan(1)
April 24th, 2012, 10:08 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thanks for sharing!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

April 24th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ive heard about this..but my only concern would be if you have a really tall child..My nephew is already almost too tall to sit backward and he's only 9 months old..What do the kids do with their legs? LOL..I can imagine some poor kid sitting with his feet propped way over his head.LOL

April 24th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The car seat safety board has some great info, but in regards to the kid being too tall...it doesn't matter how long their legs are, its the torso that determines how long they can be in a seat. Kids usually don't mind folding their legs or sticking them up at weird angles, google "extended rear facing" and you will see a lot of long-legged kids still rear-facing!
3Sapphires and amazing_love like this.
April 24th, 2012, 03:30 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son is 6 months and I already know I'm going to be facing a uphill battle to keep him RF for as long as possible. My husband and mil already wanted to FF him on a long cross country trip home, AT 5 MONTHS, so he would be more comfortable.

I'm like "Uh, that's illgeal and VERY damgerous. There's a law for a reason."

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
April 24th, 2012, 03:39 PM
InnocentDevil's Avatar Super Mommy
I have mixed feelings about it. I put my DD forward facing at 10 months because she was just too tall. She would cry every single car ride because she wasn't comfortable. Once we turned her around, she was fine. She will turn 6 in July and is still in a booster seat.

When our parents were kids, there were no seat belt and car seat laws. I see the need to have such laws in place because so many people lack common sense. However, there are certain circumstances where even rear facing isn't safe. I honestly think they just keep guessing. As the article states... it's a recommendation, not a requirement.

April 24th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnocentDevil View Post
I have mixed feelings about it. I put my DD forward facing at 10 months because she was just too tall. She would cry every single car ride because she wasn't comfortable. Once we turned her around, she was fine. She will turn 6 in July and is still in a booster seat.

When our parents were kids, there were no seat belt and car seat laws. I see the need to have such laws in place because so many people lack common sense. However, there are certain circumstances where even rear facing isn't safe. I honestly think they just keep guessing. As the article states... it's a recommendation, not a requirement.
When would rear-facing not be safe?

If my kid was so uncomfortable rear-facing I would buy them a new seat but still keep them rear-facing...I know that's not an option for everyone though.
April 24th, 2012, 03:51 PM
I meant comfortable... not safe. Didn't proofread before sending.

Not everyone can afford to go buy a new carseat every six months.

April 24th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh I know...also a lot of people have to switch their older kid to forward facing because their car isn't big enough for 2 rear-facing seats. Like we woudn't be able to fit 2 rear-facing seats in my husbands car, luckily I have a "mom" car. I guess if you have twins you might be forced to buy a bigger car because you have to put infants rear-facing.
April 24th, 2012, 04:08 PM
We have to buy a new car anyway because right now we have a truck and it won't accomodate an infant seat, but fits my daughter's booster safely. Not really looking forward to car shopping, but I don't drive so that's probably why. LOL

April 24th, 2012, 04:50 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the rear facing recommendations but I have to admit I have a bit of a hard time thinking of putting my eight year old in a high back booster. Maybe I just need to get used to the idea...

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
April 24th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I honestly don't think I'll have an issue with Keeping Autumn rear facing because she's still in her infant seat at 7 months..I tend to have little babies so Im hoping this isnt going to be a huge deal..Honestly not sure if my nephew will make it the full 2 yrs though..he's really long..LOL..we'll see..who knows..by then something else might have changed..LOL

April 24th, 2012, 06:59 PM
JennaBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love recommendations like these and I do agree with extended rear facing however I am one mommy who has a LO that simply can't. Not height/weight or whatever but my DD2 gets VIOLENTLY car sick rear facing. Started at 15 months and we made it 3 hellish months before she started losing so much weight from the vomitting that my pedi said to try FF and lo and behold no more car sickness. (well at least not for short rides anymore) When i mean violently sick I mean the 5 minutes to the post office would result in a loss of every meal left in her stomach. Granted a very rare issue but still a valid one. I HONESTLY have to say I have a MUCH GREATER issue with parents IMPROPERLY restraining their car seats and children rather than if they are FF or RF. We have a car seat program at our hospital that installs car seats for you and one of the techs told us that over 75% of the car seats she sees are IMPROPERLY installed by parents. Not to mention the use of car seat mats, shoulder cushions, winter coats, and other items added to car seats for "comfort" that can actually cause more harm than good. Personally I'd like to see more emphasis put on proper restraint than whether or not they are FF or RF. just my $.02
InnocentDevil likes this.
April 24th, 2012, 07:20 PM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We RF Connor in my car until a month or two ago, when he started getting car sick. He's still RFing in DHs car. He's 37.5 inches tall and 36 pounds with clothes on. Totally off the charts for a kid that just turned 2 in January, but he rear faces just fine and having his knees up doesn't seem to phase him one bit.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

April 25th, 2012, 03:10 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DS will be 2 next week and is still RF, no problems. He's gone through phases where he hates car rides and screams/cries but has gotten over it. His legs are long and already bend some but my opinion is i'd rather have my legs up like that than dangling down for especially a long duration of time (am i the only one whose legs get uncomfortable and go numb that way?) There is a lot of info proving how much safer RF is than FF at this young of an age so thats what i base my decision on. I am more than okay with parents who choose to FF before 2 since its not illegal at this point, simply another parenting choice and preference. I do get extremely frustrated with those who chose to FF their child before the legal requirements of 1 year AND 20 lbs. since its clearly a huge risk.

April 26th, 2012, 01:51 PM
morethanamom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A lot of my extended family (parents included) are of the mind that "you didn't have a carseat when you were a toddler and did just fine" mindset and don't understand the importance of ANY car seat safety, let alone RFing. Thankfully DH is supportive.

DD3 RFd to 18 or 19 months. I don't remember why we turned her, I think a grandparent did it and then she refused to get in her seat RFing. With this one we plan to RF as long as possible.

DD1 and DD2 are 7.5 and almost 6. They both are using high back booster seats still. They don't mind. We have to get new ones soon as the expiration dates are coming up on theirs and they're psyched to get a "pretty" new one. The ones they have are boring lol. DH thinks it's time to use a regular booster seat though since they're super tall.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search