Baby Bumpers

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By nroundtr
  • 1 Post By Love_09
  • 3 Post By JennaBee

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello all,

I just wanted some opinions on baby bumpers. I have read and heard a lot about them being dangerous and am nervous to use them, but my bf thinks they are no big deal and they just wouldn't sell them if they were that dangerous.

What do you all think? I am torn on the idea and would love some opinions for or against them and why!

I also have looked at the mesh ones and like that idea maybe, but my bf isn't sure because they have no padding.

Thank you ladies!!!

~mommy of 2 angels and one handsome boy~

April 24th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Theres a lot of mixed info on them but they arent really necessary..I have bought crib sets that come with bumpers but never used them..

April 24th, 2012, 01:56 PM
nroundtr's Avatar Veteran
I plan to use a mesh one just to keep binkies and such in the crib where baby can find them.
KMH likes this.

April 24th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies

April 24th, 2012, 03:47 PM
InnocentDevil's Avatar Super Mommy
This is another one of those new recommendations that I wont be getting paranoid about like a lot of people seem to.

While they're not necessary, I used one with my DD and she was fine. I'll be using one with this baby too. -My baby won't be going into a crib until he or she is a couple months old and can turn his or her own head anyway.

April 24th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Mama to Aidan & Caleb
I used regular bumpers with my son from the time he was born till now and he was always fine. He refused to sleep without them once he realized they were there, he got his arm or leg stuck if i took them out and or he would hit his head. He never slept face first in them and even if he did I'm sure he would have been fine. I planned on using them this time as well but I actually bought breathable bumpers for really cheap so I'm going to use them this time
InnocentDevil likes this.

((Thank you so much Bokkechick for my beautiful signature photo))
April 24th, 2012, 05:21 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnocentDevil View Post
This is another one of those new recommendations that I wont be getting paranoid about like a lot of people seem to.

While they're not necessary, I used one with my DD and she was fine. I'll be using one with this baby too. -My baby won't be going into a crib until he or she is a couple months old and can turn his or her own head anyway.
I just want to point out that the recommendation not to use bumpers isn't exactly new. The AAP has taken issue with them since at least 2005.. that's 7 years.

Pinterest
Flickr
April 24th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I appreciate all of the feedback ladies. Thank you

April 24th, 2012, 05:56 PM
InnocentDevil's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by one.juniper View Post
I just want to point out that the recommendation not to use bumpers isn't exactly new. The AAP has taken issue with them since at least 2005.. that's 7 years.
That may be true, but it is highly popular lately. My DD was born in 2006 and the first I personally ever heard of it was only about a year ago. Either way, it's one of those "recommendations" that should be determined based on the parents' comfort level. If it were a requirement or law not to use them, then they wouldn't be sold. So again... I think it's a parent's choice.

April 24th, 2012, 06:39 PM
JennaBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not one to go running to the AAP for every mommy decision I make. I educate myself on what is popular and current and what seems to be relevant at the time. heck BPA was BANNED in Europe for years before the US even got wind of it and even when it first was announced it was a 'recommendation' not a recall.

I had DD1 in 2009 and we used a bumper with her, granted she didn't get into her crib till around 8 months but she used it till she could get her foot up to climb. Then we transitioned to a toddler bed. After her birth I joined a mommy group online and that's when I started getting wind of all this other stuff I was unaware of before. I met a mommie IRL who's daughter fractured her arm from getting it stuck and using nothing at all. When DD2 came along I got the fancy breathable bumpers, except she was petrified of her crib and never slept in it.

My girls have always had blankets- which is also a big no on now. DD2 since she was around 3 months old would kick and pull her blanket up to her face to sleep. If I put her in a sac she would scream and scream until she got a blanket to her cheek or if in the PNP she would wedge her face to the corner to get the fabric on face feeling.

I'm torn this time around on what we will even put the baby to sleep in period. (huge anxiety on that topic here!) We co-slept with DD2 till she was almost a year and that was HORRIBLE and totally against my wishes but sometimes you just have to do what works and there are those that will FREAK that baby should NEVER be in your bed, others that say it's cruel to put a newborn who just lived INSIDE of you for it's entire existence in a cold big crib all alone.

At the end of the day you'll make a decision that is best for you and YOUR family.

:hugs:

, ,,,,,,
April 25th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Veteran
I will be using one again. I used one with both my children. I remember the time I had washed it and forgot to put it on by bedtime and all I heard all night was my son banging against the rails as he tossed and turned in his sleep. I was afraid he'd be black and blue come morning. I put it back on the next morning. By the time a baby is active enough to roll over and possibly put it's face in it they are also old enough to have the natural reaction to turn their head to breathe better. This is just my experience and opinion though, and at the end of the day you make the decision you are comfortable with.
April 25th, 2012, 08:55 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The AAP also doesn't recommend bed-sharing as a form of co-sleeping, but people will argue that to the death also.

Honestly, I haven't decided if we are going to use one or not, or whether to use a mesh one or not.

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

April 25th, 2012, 09:15 AM
morethanamom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We used 1 with DD1 with no issues.
With DD2 & DD3 they both figured out how to get their heads and limbs stuck under neath them. No idea how. Those suckers were tied on tight.
We're not using a crib for the first 6 months at least with this one. If we do we'll probably skip the bumper. But it's our preference. We may change our minds depending on how the little one moves around in his sleep.

April 25th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm using a breathable bumper like I did with Bella because it's piece of mine for me. I'm a total worry wart when it comes to baby sleeping in the crib so I don't need something ese having me check the monitor constantly.

Bella didn't really bang her head on her crib and it helped keep binkies and her limbs in

April 25th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you all so much. You have all brought up very good points that will help me think about everything when deciding what to do!

April 25th, 2012, 03:51 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You have to make a choice that YOU are comfortable with

I had a regular bumper until DS was able to roll and move around and then switched to a breathable bumper. I also never had blankets in his crib until he was older. This was my comfort level.

April 25th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure we'll use a crib. My 10 month old hasn't even slept in one yet, and a lot of my other kids didn't. They make breathable bumpers if we decide to use one.

April 25th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kierasmom View Post
I'm not sure we'll use a crib. My 10 month old hasn't even slept in one yet, and a lot of my other kids didn't. They make breathable bumpers if we decide to use one.
I probably seem off a bit asking this lol, but where do they sleep then?

April 25th, 2012, 06:52 PM
2Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
We have never used one for either of our boys. I believe Canada has actually fully banned them.... but I can't be quoted on that one.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search