When mental health is a concern! Update in first post

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RunningMommyTo5
  • 1 Post By underhermantle

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry girls..I'm not sure where else to post this..I belong to so many boards at justmommies and none of them seem like the appropriate place to post this..I know a lot of you are familiar with my depression and anxiety surrounding this pregnancy and my doc's reluctance to treat it do to the side effects of the meds but seriously..I can't do this anymore..I'm still waiting on my medicaid to get approved so I can see someone at mental health but they are taking their time..I just feel sad or anxious all the time and I'm either sleeping ridiculous numbers of hrs per night or not sleeping at all..Giving up on solid food just because I've not had any interest in it...no idea where else to turn as even the docs and intake ppl at mental health wont' take me seriously..I wouldn't bother posting this if it weren't a concern for me..is there a way to handle this on my own? or should I push my doc?

*Update*
I went in and saw my ob today and he did think that I need some form of med and that the benefits outweigh the risks..He wants to try zoloft first as its less likely that some other meds to cause problems..so Im doing to do that and see how it goes..He also did schedule me with the mental health place in the area that works on a sliding scale and I see them on monday...he's a bit concerned about the weight loss and also sceduled me with the nutritionist monday after mental health..We'll see how this goes..Feeling a bit better today but I still have moments..

Last edited by Jessy_Ree; April 26th, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
April 25th, 2012, 06:14 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I'm so sorry. I am very proud that you can stand up and admit that you need help, because there are so many people (especially pregnant women and new moms) who won't admit it or seek help. I'm so sorry that your providers are putting you through this.

My advice would be to google something like "free counseling" with your city behind it, as well as "non-profit counseling". I know in my city alone, there are several non-profit counseling centers who work people on an income-based scale and some simply offer their services free of charge. That would be your best bet right now. (((Hugs))) I really, really hope one or several of these places exist where you are!
momma_d likes this.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

April 25th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I definitely think you should push your doctor. This is not something you should handle on your own. I do not know of any way for you to handle it yourself. There is only so much you can do on your own. You have already lost interest in solid food and your sleeping is off and it is affecting your daily life. I would say that certainly needs treatment that you would not be able to provide to yourself. I cannot understand why the doctors and intake ppl aren't taking you seriously. I find that very disturbing. I would suggest you look into finding a new doctor. I don;t know where you live but in many places there are support groups offered for free, which is something you could possibly benefit from as well.

April 26th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Sigyl's Avatar Veteran
I have a history of depression and anxiety. I was on several medications prior to pregnancy. Now I am on nothing and I am literally losing my mind. All my symptoms have come crashing back in the past few weeks. I went to see the OB today and they were pretty insistent on a low dose of Zoloft. I'm still not sure I want to take it, but I do agree that I probably need it.

Nausea/vomiting, migraines and insomnia along with all the negative feelings and anxiety are just as bad, if not worse, for the baby than a low dose of antidepressant. At least that's what I was told today when I went in for an impromptu appointment for insomnia. I will first try to eliminate all external sources of stress to see if that helps me cope better.

But honestly, I can totally relate to how you're feeling and it truly sucks. No one around me understands the severity of the situation. I will literally puke on the shoes of the next person who tells me it's practice for having an infant. I see you are 19+ weeks now just like me. When I questioned the risks of Zoloft, my OB countered that the baby is formed at this point and the risks aren't as great as in the first trimester.

I agree, push your doctor to give you what you need. Keep us posted and good luck!

April 26th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My issue seems to have started after my daughter was born in sept so Im wondering if its possible I was having some PPD issues anyway then being pregnant so soon and unexpectedly just kinda pushed me..I called my ob and he's having me come in this afternoon to discuss some sort of treatment..I know he's going to try and recommend zoloft (he's mentioned this at my last appt)because its one of the meds proven safer during pregnancy along with prozac and wellbutrin(which I can't take because it triggers seizures) Im willing to try the zoloft as Ive struck out on the other two..I honestly feel like the worlds worst parent right now..stupid hormones..

April 26th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Super Mommy
I'm glad you are going back to your doctor. I was reading this and thinking that I was going to beg you to push your doctor- the symptoms you are describing are dangerous and you deserve to not feel this way, and your baby deserves a healthy mommy. Please keep us posted.
April 26th, 2012, 10:21 AM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed Mommy Of 5 View Post
I would suggest you look into finding a new doctor.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease!!!!!!!!
I was on zoloft at the begining of this pregnancy and the last for depression. I went off it both times in the begining because I had hyperemesis and couldn't stop throwing up. They don't make zoloft suppositories

I was ok last time until maybe 7 months pregnant when it resurfaced. I had really good insurance at the time, but I was living in a VERY rural area with no high risk doctors within 4 hours driving distance. The doctor there just put me on iv for a week and lectured me to eat more . Idoit! II was throwing up everything I ate, stress makes hyperemesis worse! I was rapidly losing weight. They sent me home and I came back 12 hours later dehydrated and still throwing up. At that point they decided to transfer me to the high risk drs 4 hours away which put me back on my meds. I got better almost instantly.

Go where ever you need to to get the care you need. See a different dr. If that one doesn't work out try another. Be a thorn in your case worker's side. Bug the living hell out of them, and always tell them how bad things are every time you call. Are you losing weight?

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
April 26th, 2012, 11:48 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad you are open to getting help! Sometimes I think doctors (especially male doctors) think women are just over exaggerating and hormonal, which a lot of the time is not the case.

Aside from pushing your Doctor and getting on something that will help regulate your homones, I would also suggest trying relaxation, meditation, or even prenatal yoga (even if at home). Whatever that looks like to you, even if it is just taking a bath, sitting in a quiet area, worship at church, prayer, whatever it is, it well help with the anxiety. I used to battle with a lot of anxiety and would have frequent panic attacks, and when I started trying some of these things it definitely helped to the point where I have been off all medications for about 3 years. I'm not saying to go non-medicated, it sounds like you definitely need it right now, but try some of these methods on TOP of the medication, it will certainly help once you find something that works for you. My favorite relaxation method is getting in the sauna, which obviously can't be done while pregnant! But once the baby is here, that might be something you could try too.

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

April 27th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Veteran
I am so glad that your OB is going to help you. You should feel very proud of yourself that you are making it through this and getting the help you need. I know your baby will someday be so happy and proud of you!
bettyearl likes this.

How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers. ~ Blessed Mother Teresa

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search