Yet another bump in the road...

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2012, 07:47 AM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So today I take DS to school and when I get back I notice what looks like a sunburn on DD arm. I look at it more closely and realize she has a really HOT bad rash down both her arms and on her cheek. I show it to DH and he just shrugs it off. I decide to be on the safe side and take her to sick call at our pediatrician's office. I get her there and the dr takes one look and says it's Fifth's Disease. I informed him I was pregnant (almost 1/2 way through) and he says it was a good thing I brought her in because the one thing about Fifths disease is that you are NOT supposed to be around pregnant women! Just great! Sooo, I got home and started reading up on it and it says by the time the rash shows up your not even contagious anymore, but the week or two leading up to the rash you are contagious. So, after a little more reading they said if you come in contact with the virus while pregnant to let your OB know. So I'm sitting here waiting to see if they will want me to come in to get tested to see if I've been infected or what. This on top of the migraine I've been fighting for the past few days...ugh...not a happy momma right now. They say it can cause severe anemia in the fetus and can lead to miscarriage or stillbirth if it is bad enough. I'm so nervous right now

Anyone else deal with Fifths disease while pregnant???

April 26th, 2012, 07:56 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh no! Let us know what your OB says. Is there anything you can do if you are infected?

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 26th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually caught fifth disease from my kids this pregnancy, BUT most people are already immune. Your dr can do a blood test to see if you have antibodies. I would request the test just for your peace of mind.

April 26th, 2012, 08:10 AM
I just talked to my nurse and they don't recommend doing anything (even the blood test) unless I actually come down with the virus! I'm kinda upset. I've had enough ups and downs this pregnancy without dealing with worrying about this too. UGH! Well, I have an appointment on monday, so I guess if I really feel the need I'll push for the blood test on monday. I just really don't want to deal with more complications down the road

Angela, what did they do for you since you had it while you were pregnant?

April 26th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They did my big U/S a few weeks early. No blood test because it had already been confirmed that I had it. They didn't do much and weren't nearly as concerned as I was. I hope you don't get it. Besides being a huge worry it is painful. Worst joint pain ever.

It would be nice if they would do the test for you so you can stop worrying.

April 26th, 2012, 09:35 AM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i'm so sorry! you sure are having a rough time of it i hope you find out soon, but i'm sure everything will be fine.

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

April 26th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Super Mommy
I'll be praying for you!
April 26th, 2012, 09:48 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most people have had it as children and never even knew about it... I remember having it as a child though. it is super common in children but the reason you don't really hear about adults getting it so much is because most of us are already immune!

Honestly, I would try to not worry too much about it, but I can definitely understand the stress! And..... don't consult Dr. Google! I know it's tempting, but typically it is worst case scenario things that are pretty rare as it is!

If you really really need peace of mind, just push for them to test! Just tell them how worried you are about it and need the reassurance! I don't see what it would hurt for them to do that for you... after all, you are the one that pays for it, not them! lol

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

April 26th, 2012, 09:49 AM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So sorry you are dealing with this, I can imagine how worried you must be! I would definitely push for the blood test, but since she is not contagious anymore does that mean you are pretty much in the clear? Or the symptoms don't show up right away?

April 26th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Popping in from the September 2011 Playroom ....

Saw your post, and wanted to tell you I was exposed to Fifth's Disease last summer while pregnant with my Squeakers. I totally freaked out, too, after googling everything I could on Fifth's Disease.

What my OB told me, since I was exposed after I was in my second trimester, was that most likely my baby would be fine, and she was. Still is. I am pretty sure she said it would have been more of a concern if I was in my first trimester, and she also said most people are already immune to it.

I hope this helps you feel some better. Definitely still talk your concerns over with your OB. I used it as an excuse to get a second ultrasound of my Squeakers Now she's 7 months old, talking and rolling every where and grabbing things she shouldn't.....

and I'm creeping in this due date club thinking "I was here last year....how is it that this has gone so fast?"

Best of luck, to you, and all of the ladies of the September 2012 DDC!

April 26th, 2012, 10:32 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Everyone already said everything I would've, Amy!!! You're most likely already immune, and I would certainly push for the blood test to ease your mind!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

April 26th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
actually Ive been exposed to fifth's disease twice while pregnant and I never got sick..Ive also been exposed to the measles and contracted shingles when i was pregnant for my daughter..LOL..

April 26th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashley8 View Post
So sorry you are dealing with this, I can imagine how worried you must be! I would definitely push for the blood test, but since she is not contagious anymore does that mean you are pretty much in the clear? Or the symptoms don't show up right away?
From the little bit I did read they say it can take up to 3 weeks for the symptoms to show up. In adults it acts like a very mild form of flu usually, but in children they get the rash a lot worse. At first we were planning on sending DD to her grandparents for the weekend, but since it looks like she is no longer contagious it wouldn't do any good. So, I'm just crossing my fingers that I did have it as a child, and that I won't get any symptoms or have complications from it! It was just such a shock when I took DD in this morning and the ped told me I did NOT need to be around her since I was pregnant.

April 27th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Veteran
I would have them do a blood test just for you rpeace of mind but I bet you already had it and are immune. Hang in there! I will be praying for you!

How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers. ~ Blessed Mother Teresa
April 27th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

In all seriousness the other girls are right on and you and your baby will be just fine

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search