Do you associate your children with colors?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By momma_d
  • 1 Post By Pleione

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2012, 12:28 PM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know that sounds like a weird question, and it kind of is, really! But do you associate your children (or future children) with certain colors? With Keira, everything was pink or light blue. I always had her in those colors and I had a hard time putting her in other colors when she was a baby, those particular colors just looked so cute on her! I've never pushed those colors on to her as she got older, I like to let her pick things she likes, etc, and she picks pink no matter what and says that is her favorite color.

With this baby, I have always associated her with the colors purple and blue. I feel like its totally weird that I do this, but I just want nothing but purple and blues for her! I was originally wanting to do the nursery in grays & mangos but now I am feeling totally compelled to do purple and gray instead. I just feel like the mango color is so wrong for her! lol I can't get past it and am wondering if it is an OCD thing or if anyone else does this too??

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

April 26th, 2012, 12:57 PM
InnocentDevil's Avatar Super Mommy
Not a silly question at all!!

I associate almost everything with colors... People, letters, weather, moods, songs, etc. I associate the colors pink and blue with Kelly. Pink because EVERY single freakin thing she owns is pink. LOL... and blue because of her eye color.

For some reason unknown to me, I see and "feel" the color orange with this baby, even though I don't know the gender yet. Is that weird??

April 26th, 2012, 01:06 PM
JennaBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not at all! With Evelyn her nursery "theme" (even tho we didn't even have a nursery just the colors we chose ) Were Pale Pink and Sage Green. When I found out I was pregnant with Paige I didn't want to copy and make DD2 have too much like DD1 so we went with a Lavender and off white deal. Ever since then it's just stuck. This makes it easy to tell their stuff apart too. Pink for Evelyn and Purple for Paige Baby boy has been a combination of baby blue and navy blue

Thanks*Sharon*for our beautiful siggy!

, , ,,,
April 26th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnocentDevil View Post
Not a silly question at all!!

For some reason unknown to me, I see and "feel" the color orange with this baby, even though I don't know the gender yet. Is that weird??
That's very much what I mean. I haven't even bought anything yet. I just feel like purple is her color! I can't explain it past that, it is just the association I have. Wasn't sure if anyone else experiences this or not!
InnocentDevil likes this.

April 26th, 2012, 03:03 PM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No I have never thought about my kids like that But then again they've never had a nursery or certain colours associated with them. They sleep in our room and we are military so we've been in military and rented housing a lot with boring cream walls, so I guess I have never really thought about what colours to paint their rooms or anything. As for dressing them, they have all worn white or pale colours as babies and then all different colours when older... we lived in Hawaii for 6 years so my girls wore a lot of multicoloured dresses and my boys wore colourful Hawaiian shirts. So long story short, no I don't associate a particular colour with any of them

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

April 26th, 2012, 03:54 PM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Well kind of... for DS1 I tend to buy navy and reds and DS 2 is browns and oranges. My DD was all about baby pink for the first few months but now typical girl, see loves bright colors whatever they might be - purple or cobalt blue... So to answer your question, yes I do - but more based on their personalities.

April 26th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Super Mommy
Yes. DD1 was pink and yellow. DD2 was purple and green. Since DD1 could make up her own mind though, she's been all about blue (seriously, I am a smidge worried about OCD- she only uses blue crayons!), so I can't think of blue without thinking of her, but it's not the colors I originally envisioned!
April 26th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Pleione's Avatar Veteran
Hm. Nope. Can't say that I do. I have no clue what color to associate with this one. I imagine whatever looks flattering. I'm trying hard not to be the mom that does pink = girl and blue = boy type of clothing.
curlygirl77 likes this.

April 26th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Sagga02's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sagga02 Send a message via MSN to Sagga02 Send a message via Yahoo to Sagga02
DS was baby blue and brown

www.etsy.com/shop/sagga02
April 26th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Starstrydergrrl's Avatar Super Mommy
For me Kenny was purple and green. These are still his favourite colours as well. This little one I keep thinking green and yellow lol.

April 27th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Sprinkle 2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It totally do this! And, to make it even weirder, I associate them with a bug, too. Sulli was our little lady bug. She had all kinds of cute ladybug stuff- swim suit, clothes, 1st birthday theme.... So I'm thinking dragonfly for this baby!

As for colors, Sulli's room was black, white and bright pink. When we move, I want to do her room the exact same way it is now, lol!

For the new baby, I am thinking purple and grey, too! I'd love to see some of your ideas. I'm having trouble planning since we aren't in the house she will be coming home to, (with any luck!). Are you on Pinterest? They have some cute ideas.

April 27th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The older four I do, the younger two I don't. I always bought Jayde pink stuff and Sydney purple. In fact I got pink and purple backpacks for this year, and Jayde chose the purple one and Sydney the pink and it still messes me up. I stick stuff in the wrong bag

April 27th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do now with my children but I think that is because they have made up their own minds what colors they like best, so I always tend to get them things in those colors. As far as with this baby I have been leaning toward pinks but that is just because I keep finding such cute things in that color

April 27th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkle 2010 View Post
It totally do this! And, to make it even weirder, I associate them with a bug, too. Sulli was our little lady bug. She had all kinds of cute ladybug stuff- swim suit, clothes, 1st birthday theme.... So I'm thinking dragonfly for this baby!

As for colors, Sulli's room was black, white and bright pink. When we move, I want to do her room the exact same way it is now, lol!

For the new baby, I am thinking purple and grey, too! I'd love to see some of your ideas. I'm having trouble planning since we aren't in the house she will be coming home to, (with any luck!). Are you on Pinterest? They have some cute ideas.
haha so funny about the bugs! We call Keira "Keira Bug" all the time so I told her we are gonna have to call Kynlee "Kynlee Bee" so I have one of each! LOL.

We also aren't in the house we will be bringing the baby home to! Since our house is being build I know what it will look like, so I'm trying to have ideas ahead of time! I am on pinterest! I keep finding the same ideas on there though so I've been trying to find my own stuff to pin! It's hard! My gramma is going to knit the blanket for her bed, I'm so excited about that, so I just have to pick the colors and yard pattern!

April 27th, 2012, 12:17 PM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
It's so funny that you asked this, but we totally do things by colors.

Brent is Blue

Adam is Red

Matthew is Green

This baby?? Hoping for Pink! Or if it's a boy he might just have to be Yellow, ha!

I made them super hero capes in their colors and the older 2 always choose the corresponding bowl, etc. Matthew (who's 2.5) gets green by default and doesn't really care that much.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search