OT: blocking loft bed stairs from DS#3

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Super Mommy
We want to put Vinny, who will be 2 in June in with our oldest who is 6 so that Vinny's room can be the nursery. Our oldest has a loft type bed with stairs that we need to block. Vinny always goes on the stairs now so we know it wont change once he is in that room all the time. We worry that he wont sleep, will wake up Blake or could even fall and hurt himself so we need to block them off somehow. The catch is that Blake needs to be able to get past whatever we do so he can go to the bathroom in the middle of the night when need be. This is the bed he has... Embrace Loft Bed w/ Storage

Any suggestions? TIA!

April 26th, 2012, 03:32 PM
InnocentDevil's Avatar Super Mommy
Sorry no idea, but just out of curiosity... How much was that bed?? LOL. We are looking for something like that for DD who wll be 6 in July. Also... do you just use a matress or mattress AND box springs??

April 26th, 2012, 03:49 PM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
I think a better option is to teach him right away that IF he gets up there ALWAYS 'sit on your bottom.' You can try to block it off but that will NOT stop him from getting up.

IF he were to reach over the edge from a sitting position, and fall, he is far less likely to get hurt. Whereas if he were to be standing or bouncing, he would more than likely injure himself.

It will just be the bedroom rule for all the boys. That bed is for SITTING or lying ONLY!

April 26th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnocentDevil View Post
Sorry no idea, but just out of curiosity... How much was that bed?? LOL. We are looking for something like that for DD who wll be 6 in July. Also... do you just use a matress or mattress AND box springs??
We got it at a outlet and paid $400 because it didn't come with screws (we got those for cheap at Home Depot lol). My friend got the same bed elsewhere and she said she paid $800 for it with the mattress. You just use a mattress; a box spring would lift it too high up.

April 27th, 2012, 05:36 AM
InnocentDevil's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to 3 boys View Post
We got it at a outlet and paid $400 because it didn't come with screws (we got those for cheap at Home Depot lol). My friend got the same bed elsewhere and she said she paid $800 for it with the mattress. You just use a mattress; a box spring would lift it too high up.
You got lucky mama. LOL. No way will I spend $800 on a bed for a kid. LOL. $400 would be do-able though. We're buying DD a new set here this Summer. Thanks for the info.

Also... I agree with the above person.... If he's taught that beds are for sitting or laying down, he's less likely to injure himself. Plus, by nautre any child will want to be in an area that's block off, kwim?? That will more than likely just create a longstanding battle. Whereas if you teach him form the beginning that sitting and layin are the rules, then the battle only lasts a lil bit until he gets the hang of it. Good luck.

April 27th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we have the exact same bed, except with the trundle instead of drawers :

(the bed gets pulled out at night, I just couldn't get a picture with it pulled out.)

I would just let him get used to the stairs. I don't think he will hurt himself even if he falls down them, they're not very high. Plus the more you block it off the more the temptation will be to be up there!

April 27th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think you should try to block the stairs off either. I think he would just try to get to them even more if they were completely off limits. I think the ladies above had some good ideas that I agree with as well. If you are still concerned perhaps you could purchase some foam floor padding tiles to put under/around the area so that there is extra protection just in case he does fall. I know they are sold in several stores and in several different colors as well

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search