Could I be having twins?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OatmealKisses
  • 1 Post By OatmealKisses

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2012, 10:20 AM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've semi-secretly thinking have more than one. I had 3 early ultrasounds (All within a week of each other) and a doppler. Two of the ultrasounds were done on a very old ultrasound machine with a very incompetent tech. She didn't even know how to print the pictures off the machine, so we never got them!
The bean we did see was very blurry and they could only zoom in a certain amount. They originally told us our baby had no heartbeat. We went to a different doctor that redid the ultrasound the next day and there was the heartbeat. So either it was because they couldn't zoom in enough, or the tech wasn't good (or both), or the heart just started beating 24 hours later.

The ultrasound pic we got from the other hospital was also pretty blurry and the tech was in a hurry. Finally they did a doppler on my belly at around 10 weeks and the dr very quickly found a heatbeat. We just told them we were having a single.

Well, yesterday I distinctely felts hiccups coming from two different locations at the same time. I started feeling movement WAY sooner than with my son, and I mean over a month sooner, and lots of it.

My hcg levels were very high when they were checked in the beginning and more than doubling in a 24 hour period. Everybody has been randomly asking me if I'm having twins or insistanting I am without knowing any of this information.

I feel crazy because how could they miss it? Am I loosing my mind? What are the chances of me carrying more than one?
Bobb likes this.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
April 29th, 2012, 10:38 AM
This is the bean at 7 weeks. Our only ultrasound pics from the "good" hospital.

April 29th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Bobb's Avatar Veteran
Oh, that sounds interesting! At 10w with a blurry & in a hurry u/s + old machine, I'm guesssing you still have a chance for a "double trouble"
When is your next u/s app ?

April 29th, 2012, 10:57 AM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you having an ultrasound coming up? If so I would express your curiosity and they can confirm it for you! The hiccups thing would make me suspicious too. Unless it was the same set of hiccups and just somehow felt like it was in two places. That would be crazy to find out you're having twins now, but at least you are mentally prepared for it if so!

April 29th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb View Post
When is your next u/s app ?
Don't have one. I was waiting until my medicaid was pending. Hubby got laid off unexpectedly a month or so ago. So we lost our health insurance. After I finished writing this I got a letter in the mail asking what medicaid plan I wanted. So I guess monday I get to make an appointment!!!
InnocentDevil likes this.

April 29th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashley8 View Post
The hiccups thing would make me suspicious too. Unless it was the same set of hiccups and just somehow felt like it was in two places.
I distinctely felt it in two different places at the same time. It was rhythmic, the way hiccups are, in that it was faster in the beginning and they both eventually slowed down. I don't know what the odds are of both having the hiccups at the same time. This "baby" has the hiccups every few days and it's usually only one spot. That was the first time I noticed it going on in 2 places at once. Weird.

April 29th, 2012, 11:40 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
It is possible! At my 10w ultrasound, the tech was kind of new and had trouble getting both babies in the pic. The first one she printed only had one baby in it, but we already knew it was twins. She called in another girl who was much more experienced and she had no trouble at all. I guess what I'm saying is that it is definitely possible to only have seen one...especially if the tech wasn't looking for another baby.

I haven't felt hiccups yet, but I do feel kicks on opposite sides of my body...I don't think at this age one baby is long enough to have hands on one side and feet on the other. I don't know if hiccups can echo or not...I'm excited to see what you find out!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 29th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
its possible..but its also possible that your baby is spread out..LOL..I feel hiccups in both sides of my belly at the same time..one where the head area is and one where the babies feet are..Weirder things have happened though..I do know a women who went her entire pregnancy expecting one baby and ended up with 2..my sister is now married to one of the twins..LOL

April 29th, 2012, 05:38 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well we found out about our twins at 6 weeks. We saw both sacs immediately but it did take a bit of manuvering and she had to really press hard to actually get back to where the 2nd baby was. Then our 2nd ultrasound was at week 11. I could definately see where if they were not looking for a 2nd baby they could miss it. By then the baby is a lot bigger on the screen and unless they go looking for a 2nd I could definately see how they could miss one baby.

April 29th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Is it easy to miss one on a doppler? I had the doppler at 9 or 10 weeks. From the time he put the doppler on my belly to the time he pulled it off was maybe 5 seconds.

The ultrasounds were all at 7 weeks.

April 29th, 2012, 07:04 PM
morethanamom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it could be easy to miss on a doppler. They have to chase our baby around to catch his heartbeat with it at the doctors office. Your 7 week U/S looks like ours. Just a blob. Here's our pic (blurry bc I took a picture of it with my phone, it was clearer IRL)

I feel our boy on both sides, but I think he's going to be a tall guy. When he hiccups I swear I feel him kick a milisecond later on the other side.

April 29th, 2012, 07:37 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
You can definitely miss twins on the doppler...I know I'm having twins and I kind of know where they are, and it is still hard to find both heartbeats! My docs don't even bother with the doppler...they just get out the ultrasound machine because the doppler with twins can be tricky.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 29th, 2012, 08:04 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You can miss twins on a doppler pretty easily, espicially if you were not looking to hear more than one.
As for u/s, yes there are stories of twins being missed, but it's more likely that if they only saw one baby then there is just one little bean in there. But, since the u/s was prior to 8 weeks, it's a possibility, although not a big one, if that makes sense...

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search