Names for Private parts (stolen from Aug DDC)

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2012, 01:32 PM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay, I totally hi-jacked this from the August DDC, but their post had me intrigued, and I was surprised by how many people were uncomfortable teaching their young children the anatomically correct word (penis/vagina).

So, if you already have children, what words do you teach your children for their private parts? And if this is your first, have you given any thought to it?

Personally, we have always referred to it as a "vagina". I'm a call it what it is kinda person. I've also read so many things that stress how important it is not to have nicknames for kid's private parts for many reasons, and since I'm not an expert, I'm not even going to try and regurgitate that explanation. K still can't say it right and calls it her "fa-china". Everyone in my family always called it something different so I grew up feeling like I could never say the word "vagina" because it was inappropriate. I don't ever want my kids to feel that way or feel like it is an "estranged" part of their body!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

April 30th, 2012, 01:39 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We taught both our kids the proper names for the body parts. I also grew up in a family where they never used the correct names and it was hush hush and embarrasement when discussing anything of the sort. I totally didn't want to be that way with my kids so we taught them the correct names from the begining. Only downside is the time when DS fell at the potty in preK and started screaming "My PENIS, MY PENIS" His teacher was 10 shades of red trying to explain to me what happend and how she tried to keep him from screaming it all the way down the hall. DD still can't say it correctly either...it ba-china for her LOL

April 30th, 2012, 01:39 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Adam started calling his penis a "winker" it kid of stuck. I do try to reiterate the correct name.

Don't have any girls so not sure what we call her privates...

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 30th, 2012, 01:48 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I call Jace's penis his winky. Sometimes it's his pee-pee. I don't remember what my husband refers to it as. We both call his balls his balls. I'm not embarressed to tell him that the real name for those is penis and testicals, but he's too little to even really talk at this point, so it doesn't matter. I think the name winky sounds cute.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
April 30th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we use the proper names. When my oldest was 2 and still wearing diapers she got a diaper rash. All day long she told me "blue dinosaur" took me all day to figure out her vagina was sore. We still laugh about her sore bluedina.

April 30th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Super Mommy
My DD calls her vagina her "brittany" My aunts started calling it that I guess from when brittany spears showed her junk in public? I dont know, it just stuck, and I dont like to say vagina, so thats what i call it too.
My DS, while I've always called it his pee-pee refers to it as his dacka-wacker. I guess my dad called it that once, and Evan thought it was halarious, so now he calls it that all the time. And his balls, he calls his "nards" crazy boy
April 30th, 2012, 02:20 PM
lovemyleah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have always called my daughter's area her vagina, and will call our son's area his penis. I don't know, I guess I just want them to know the names from the beginning. And honestly, if something happens to them, I want them to be able to tell me or someone else (like a cop) what might be going on.

Funny thing, Geoff's grandmother once chewed.my.butt for telling my daughter that girls have vaginas and boys have penises. But, I'm not worried, my kid, I still say what I want her to know.

April 30th, 2012, 03:12 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use the real names for ALL body parts including vagina and penis. To me they are simply another body part and i don't make up other names for his nose or stomach, etc.. you get the point. My parents really didn't talk to me about private parts or sex so i'm determined to be different with my kids. I also agree with Lisa, if anything does ever happen to them there will be no confusion when telling the cops what happened as they will know the correct terms.
lovemyleah likes this.

April 30th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
I use the correct terms for their body parts. Mostly so they can tell an adult if something happens, and there will be no confusion about what my child is talking about.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

April 30th, 2012, 04:51 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
We call the boys penises exactly that and we'll call this little girl's vagina that, too. We've always just been a call it what it is type family growing up, and DH hated that he wasn't taught anatomically correct names for anything and was horribly embarrassed when he didn't know what the boys were talking about during their "locker room" talks. By that age, about 7 or 8, he was too embarrassed to ask his parents, LOL. He got made fun of, poor guy. But, that's not the only reason we call them what they are. Like you, Danielle, I've read many things that list a whole variety of reasons why it's important that they know and aren't embarrassed to call them their anatomically correct names.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

April 30th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just call it "privates"...I think a cop would understand what that meant!
April 30th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We call our son's a pee-pee, but like the above post says, I think any cop would understand what he meant by that. When he's a little older, I'll probaby break out the proper terminology.

My Ovulation Chart
April 30th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Sigyl's Avatar Veteran
I was raised calling them "penis" and "vagina" so I imagine I will teach my children the same.

My younger sister (she's 10 years younger) came home from preschool talking about her "taco"one day which we had to correct despite how funny we all found it. She picked up on all sorts of stuff that she promptly adopted as her own terminology.

April 30th, 2012, 10:56 PM
InnocentDevil's Avatar Super Mommy
Kelly knows hers is called a vagina, but she refers to it as her toopee (pronounced 2-pee). She started this when she was two years old. When I asked why... She simply said, "Because I use it to pee." LOL. Makes sense.

We haven't had to talk about a penis as she's never seen one. I don't see anyting wrong with teaching them the proper terms.

May 1st, 2012, 12:38 AM
Starstrydergrrl's Avatar Super Mommy
We told Kenny the proper name too but somewhere he heard "willy" and that was the name that stuck lol. He does know and understand that he has a "penis" but he prefers to use the other one.

Since he understands I don't bother correcting him.

May 1st, 2012, 05:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We use proper names for things here too..My son know's he and his brother and dad all have a penis..and that his mom and sister have vaginas..LOL..he actually asked me when I was pregnant with my daughter how the baby got in there and how it was getting out..we went ahead and told him the child appropriate version of the truth..Pretty much mom has eggs, dad has sperm and how they meet and make a baby..and we did even get into how it happens a little bit..Im glad we did it at this age because now I don't think we'll have the embarrassment of doing it when he's 12..LOL..
RunningMommyTo5 likes this.

May 1st, 2012, 06:25 AM
nroundtr's Avatar Veteran
This is our first, so I've given this some thought as friends of mine have used the correct names and have run into issues in daycare and preK. Apparently some teachers consider those names inappropriate to use and will correct the child, telling them to use a euphemism instead. I think that's wrong - a teacher shouldn't be able to tell a kid that the correct name is bad or wrong simply because s/he is uncomfortable saying it him/herself. We will definitely teach our children the correct names, and that they should use them if ever speaking to an adult. But if they pick up other names along the way and prefer to use those when speaking with friends, I won't be upset.

When I was working daycare, I had a little girl once tell me her "moomoo" hurt. I had no clue what she was talking about...she had to grab herself to get the message across. I'm hoping my kids won't have that happen to them.

May 1st, 2012, 06:52 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lol Kelly @her Brittany!! When my kids were younger we called their private parts their privates. They are older now and I have since taught them the correct names. We never had any issues with calling them privates though.

May 1st, 2012, 07:09 AM
Bobb's Avatar Veteran
Uhh, I never thought of teaching my kid the correct word. I think I will start with a funny replacement such as "little birdie = pasarica" or "***** (as in cat!!!) = pisicuta" (I hope I don't get a warning or something ). In our country this is a very common replacement used for/by girls. And for boys it's very common "little **** (as in rooster!!!) = cocosel"

May 1st, 2012, 07:18 AM
Veteran
Proper names, for the reasons OP gave

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search