BTDT moms: water breaking

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2012, 06:34 AM
Super Mommy
I've always thought it would be cool for my water to break on its own, but i had to be induced with both of my babies. Do you think its most likely that I will have to be induced again, or have some of you had to be induced a couple times, and then your water broke on its own? Just curious. Thanks.
May 1st, 2012, 07:14 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
My water broke on it's own at home which began my "official" 29 hour labor process with my first DS. I'd been having mild contractions for the two days prior, but nothing regular. I was, however, 5 days late. I'm not sure, but I feel like I've heard that your water breaking to begin labor is more likely when you're past your EDD. I've had friends who went early, but the contractions became regular first and then their water broke on it's own after contractions had been going a while.

Since then, I've had scheduled c-sections, 3 and 2 days early, both with mild contractions having started and actually being "in labor" (contractions every 5-8 minutes) and my water had not broken yet.

I have no clue about the likelihood of being induced again. Why were you induced if you don't mind me asking? That may be a big factor in the risk of induction again. I
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

May 1st, 2012, 07:21 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was induced with my first but and there was little to no fluid.

my second my water broke well after labor started, but no one knows when. We knew the bag was intact at 9am, when I was checked, at 1pm it had broken, but I never leaked anything.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

May 1st, 2012, 07:27 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never had to be induced but my water didn't break on it's own with my first 3 children. Even though I was in full labor with full contractions. However with my 4th baby, my water broke on it's own at home! I was kind of shocked because it was the first time I had experienced that!

I'd say the chances of your water breaking on its own are very good. I really don't think your previous labors have anything to do with it

May 1st, 2012, 07:35 AM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My water has broken on it's own (at home) for every pregnancy I have had. I was 10 days early with DS, and 4 weeks early with DD. Had only an occational contraction here or there in the days/weeks leading up to labor. With DS I got up to go to the bathroom and was climbing back in bed when my water broke, and with DD I had been having a few contractions (nothing regular though)and had lost my mucous plug, so I had decided to go get checked out at the hospital. I bent down to pick up my hospital bag and my water broke. I'm hoping my water breaks again this time...that way there is no question...it means it's time to have a baby!!!

May 1st, 2012, 08:23 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My water never broke on it's own, even after being in active labor and losing my mucus plug! They ended up breaking it to keep things moving, and boy did that do the trick!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

May 1st, 2012, 08:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My water broke on its own with my first two..My oldest I think I had been in labor for about 5 hrs when it broke..he was born 7 hrs later..with my second..I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I had to go to the bathroom..got up..and had fluid running down my leg(Did I just pee?) it took me about 30 mins to realize it wasnt stopping because it wasnt pee..LOL.. and with my third I was induced 2 weeks prior to my due date because of complications and my water was broken to start contractions..

May 1st, 2012, 09:33 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My water broke on its own with my son. 8 days late and woke up in the middle of the night to lots of wetness. I'm sure it depends on the reasons you were induced but i don't think your past inductions would make you less likely to go into labor on your own. How far along were you last time?

May 1st, 2012, 09:47 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First timer here, and my biggest question is, is your water breaking like peeing yourself, or can there be a gush of water that you'll have to clean up off the floor later?
This kind of thing really worries me!

May 1st, 2012, 09:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I read it's genetic. If your mom's water broke with her pregnancy (ies) you will likely too. My mom was induced with my sister and I (overdue) and my sister was indcued wih both her labors. I was induced with Bella at 38 weeks due to very low fluid. I hope to not be induced this time but I am not counting on my water breaking

May 1st, 2012, 10:05 AM
Super Mommy
My water broke on its on with my 1st 6 weeks early. No contractions, no warning just my water broke. My other 2, my water broke during delivery, I'm pretty sure with one I had the dr.assist in breaking it.
May 1st, 2012, 10:54 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1 out of 6 so far before labor, or what should have been labor I guess, cuz nothing happened after that. He was 5 weeks early.
With #4 it broke on it's own during labor, all the rest were broken by doc.

May 1st, 2012, 11:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
My water has broken with all three of mine. With my first I was 2 weeks early, and I woke up in a puddle. My dh was in bed with me, and he was soaked. It was pretty gross. With my second my water broke in bed again a week early, but it wasn't as big of a leak. It was a small puddle, and my dh didn't even get wet that time. With my third my water broke in the evening 7 weeks early. It was a high tear, so when they did the test for it they couldn't get a positive. They sent me home, and a few hour later my water fully broke, and I woke up in a puddle again. Luckily my dh only got a little wet that time. Every time my water broke I woke up seconds before, and I heard a pop sound every time. With each my labor didn't start until after my water broke, but it started with in an hour of my water breaking. I don't know how likely it is for your water to break, so I can't comment on that.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

May 1st, 2012, 11:19 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniM0820 View Post
First timer here, and my biggest question is, is your water breaking like peeing yourself, or can there be a gush of water that you'll have to clean up off the floor later?
This kind of thing really worries me!
It can be either, a huge gush or a slow leak. With mine I was laying on the couch, heard and felt the "pop" (wasn't painful at all) and instinctively stood up then a HUGE gush of water came out. I knew without question it was my water breaking. I went to call my MW, change, and get the hospital bag while DH cleaned up the huge mess off the floor, LOL. I've had other friends that just had a constant leak that they thought could've been unintentional leaking at first, but then realized after a few minutes of it not stopping that it was amniotic fluid. The biggest way to tell is that the amniotic fluid will have almost of a sweet smell, nothing like the ammonia-like pee smell. Not that I wanted to know, but when your fluid gushes out of you, the smell was evident, not at all bad really...but even after the huge gush, I had to wear a couple of the overnight pads to the hospital because I kept on leaking a good amount after, too.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

May 1st, 2012, 01:15 PM
Super Mommy
I had to be induced because I was past my due date with both. I believe 40 weeks is long enough to be pregnant, and at 41, I was ready to get my DD out, and after they induced me, it still took 2 days to have her. With DS as soon as my due date came and went I lasted 2 extra days and then had them induce me. I was frustrated and ready to get him out. I thought maybe since my body has been through this a couple times now, I may have a better chance of it happening on its own without me being over due. My mom said she had to be induced with me because I was two weeks past my due date, but her water broke on it's own on Christmas eve with my brother, two weeks early.. So I dont know. Thanks for sharing your stories with me. It looks like I at least have a chance of it happening without the doctor breaking it. Im not waiting much past my due date though for it to happen. Im curious what it would be like, but I can live without it.
May 1st, 2012, 01:31 PM
CoolMomof2's Avatar Veteran
My water broke on its own so no experience with induction . I walked whole day when I was about 38 weeks--- walked just about non-stop in a mall and IKEA for 12 hours and my water broke slowly through that night !

My Blog www.workingmaa.com
May 1st, 2012, 01:32 PM
Sagga02's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sagga02 Send a message via MSN to Sagga02 Send a message via Yahoo to Sagga02
I woke up one morning to go to the bathroom, stood and feel a gush come out. I sat on the toilet and continued to gush, gush, gush. I was 2 weeks early but was threatened with induction the next day so i think i scared myself into labour. I was like a river and never stopped gushing all day and night long (it regenerates itself) I was hooked on the monitors and were showing HUGE contractions and I didn't feel a thing. I laboured all day and night like that and they finally let me eat some food in the evening and said they would start induction with pit the next morning as there was no progress with dilation. I was fine and dandy, was not feeling any pain (LUCKY). They started pit the next morning at 6 and once again i felt nothing, the contractions were through the roof, and i was on the highest amount of pit they could give. Talk about baffling the Drs. All that time i was still gushing. Finally a midwife said do you mind if i try something and she went to find a second? water bag, or a part of one that was around DS head area stopping me from dilating. She broke it and BAM contractions started in seconds. Talk about shocking. I went from 1-10 within 45 mins. Sadly DS was so big he got stuck really badly when i was pushing and crashed so i ended up with an emergency c section. I didnt know your fluid continued to regen and it was the yuckiest feeling to be gushing for 2 full days.

www.etsy.com/shop/sagga02
May 1st, 2012, 01:40 PM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
With my daughter, my water broke while I was signing in for my 37 week appointment. That was a very long 10-hour labor, which stalled the entire day and resulted in doses of Pitocin. With my son, they broke my water, and he was born 45 minutes later.

May 1st, 2012, 05:08 PM
JennaBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been induced and always had my waters ruptured. With DD1 it was earlier because my body was saturated with pitocin and we were trying to speed things up and avoid a c-section. With DD2 I was around 8cm when they decided to break my waters because the sac was bugling. it was within 20 minutes that I reached down to adjust my blankets and she was crowning!! I have to add that out of every aspect of L&D the waters breaking grossed me out the most feeling like you peed yourself every time you laugh, cough, or move was just not my high light

Thanks*Sharon*for our beautiful siggy!

, , ,,,
May 1st, 2012, 06:36 PM
Super Mommy
I dont remember feeling anything with either of them when the doctors broke my water. I cant remember if I already had the epidural with Evan.. maybe I did and thats why I didnt feel it, but with Marley (my first) they broke my water long before I ever got the epidural, and I just dont remember feeling leaking or a gush or anything. I just remember the pain got 400 times worse after it was done.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search